Fire Wire & Motherboard.....how connect?

Been over 3.5 years since I built my last PC and it finally broke down. So, I will be building my new one soon and I'm considering the basic configuration below.

Two questions:
- What connection is needed on the Mobo for Firewire? Simply use a USB port?
- Any comments, criticisms, or suggestions on this configuration?

Case = Wave Master TAC-T01
CPU = AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Power Supply = Antec 480W NeoPower
Motherboard = MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
RAM = 2 X 512-MB Corsair TwinX XMS DDR400/PC3200LL
Harddrive = 2 X Seagate ST3200822AS 200GB 7200 RPM SATA 8MB Cache in Raid 1 array (just experienced my first hard drive crash and complete data loss :( )
Video card = eVGA GeForce 6800 GT
OS = Windows XP Pro
Purpose = Gaming
4 answers Last reply
More about fire wire motherboard connect
  1. Firewire and USB are different ports. That board will come with the rear slot ports and the 1394 pots on the MB. They are color-coded. A monkey could do it!

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
    Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
    Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot
  2. Just make sure you have adequate insulation to protect from the excess heat...

3. Normally using firewire means buying a board with firewire on it. The board you picked has Firewire on it. The Firewire ports are not related to USB ports, their treated by windows as a Network connection, and the things you connect are treated as network devices.

You can actually network two computers using the Firewire controller, but your board also has a genuine Network controller built in.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  4. thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards