older doom games

Last response: in Video Games
October 7, 2004 3:29:18 AM

Hello, I have bought a CD with Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom on them.
Since these are older should I download anything for them or just
start playing? I have XP I hope I can play them on here I have 98 but
do not want to reinstall it just to play a couple games. I have not
even played yet, but what mods and other things should I look for? I
figure I should start looking now since the games are old and a lot of
stuff is probably hard to find.

More about : older doom games

Anonymous
October 7, 2004 9:02:39 AM

"Naked Robocop" <nakedrobocop@hotspammail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I have bought a CD with Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom on them.
> Since these are older should I download anything for them or just
> start playing? I have XP I hope I can play them on here I have 98 but
> do not want to reinstall it just to play a couple games. I have not
> even played yet, but what mods and other things should I look for? I
> figure I should start looking now since the games are old and a lot of
> stuff is probably hard to find.

If you have trouble running the games, Google for JDoom. It runs Doom 1
& 2 (maybe Final, but I never had that one) under modren Windows. It can
also add better graphics, which is cool. The Imp fireballs look more
dangerous coming at you, for instance.

--
ArWeOld
Anonymous

Wow! Those grubs at the Golden Horseshoe Saloon are a good deal!
"ArWeGod" <ArWeGod?@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:p 549d.7733$nj.378@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> "Naked Robocop" <nakedrobocop@hotspammail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello, I have bought a CD with Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom on them.
>> Since these are older should I download anything for them or just
>> start playing? I have XP I hope I can play them on here I have 98 but
>> do not want to reinstall it just to play a couple games. I have not
>> even played yet, but what mods and other things should I look for? I
>> figure I should start looking now since the games are old and a lot of
>> stuff is probably hard to find.
>
> If you have trouble running the games, Google for JDoom. It runs Doom 1
> & 2 (maybe Final, but I never had that one) under modren Windows. It can
> also add better graphics, which is cool. The Imp fireballs look more
> dangerous coming at you, for instance.

Does anyone know if ID (or anyone else) is going to convert the original
Doom levels to Doom 3 format?
Related resources
October 7, 2004 12:00:23 PM

"ArWeGod" <ArWeGod?@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:p 549d.7733$nj.378@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> "Naked Robocop" <nakedrobocop@hotspammail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello, I have bought a CD with Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom on them.
> > Since these are older should I download anything for them or just
> > start playing? I have XP I hope I can play them on here I have 98 but
> > do not want to reinstall it just to play a couple games. I have not
> > even played yet, but what mods and other things should I look for? I
> > figure I should start looking now since the games are old and a lot of
> > stuff is probably hard to find.
>
> If you have trouble running the games, Google for JDoom. It runs Doom 1
> & 2 (maybe Final, but I never had that one) under modren Windows. It can
> also add better graphics, which is cool. The Imp fireballs look more
> dangerous coming at you, for instance.

Ah. A new lease of life from my old DoomI/II. Just one question, when I run
JDoom, it doesn't read the configuration from my Doom2 folder (i.e. strafe
keys etc). I've tried putting this CFG file in various places, but I must
have missed something.
October 7, 2004 1:13:58 PM

"Graeme" <graeme_dontreplyhere@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "ArWeGod" <ArWeGod?@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:p 549d.7733$nj.378@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> > "Naked Robocop" <nakedrobocop@hotspammail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello, I have bought a CD with Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom on them.
> > > Since these are older should I download anything for them or just
> > > start playing? I have XP I hope I can play them on here I have 98 but
> > > do not want to reinstall it just to play a couple games. I have not
> > > even played yet, but what mods and other things should I look for? I
> > > figure I should start looking now since the games are old and a lot of
> > > stuff is probably hard to find.
> >
> > If you have trouble running the games, Google for JDoom. It runs Doom 1
> > & 2 (maybe Final, but I never had that one) under modren Windows. It can
> > also add better graphics, which is cool. The Imp fireballs look more
> > dangerous coming at you, for instance.
>
> Ah. A new lease of life from my old DoomI/II. Just one question, when I run
> JDoom, it doesn't read the configuration from my Doom2 folder (i.e. strafe
> keys etc). I've tried putting this CFG file in various places, but I must
> have missed something.

assuming you did a "standard" install of the doomsday engine, .cfg files for the
different games go in the directory ...\doomsday\run\jdoom (...\jheretic or
....\jhexen for those games) - it is best to create an autoexec.cfg (which is
read automatically on load) in this directory for your settings, aliases, binds,
etc. which is written to ...\jdoom\jdoom.cfg when the game exits.

--
pop is Mark
Old age ain't no place for sissies.

On 10/6/2004 11:39 PM Bootstrap Bill brightened our day with:

>Does anyone know if ID (or anyone else) is going to convert the original
>Doom levels to Doom 3 format?

http://cdoom.d3files.com/index.php?page=news

btw, you shouldn't put your entire reply below your signature. many
newsreaders, as mine did, automatically snip anything after:
"-- "

--
"...forged but accurate."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 10:13:32 PM

Seek out Ultimate Doom for Windows 95 shareware on kazzaa or something,
maybe http://www.idsoftware.com has it... Install it and delete the
doom1.wad file in the install directory. Then search for the files doom.wad,
doom2.wad, plutonia.wad and tnt.wad on your CD. Copy these files to the
install dir for Doom95 on your hardrive. Then in Doom95 select the wad you
wanna play, doom.wad for Ultimate Doom, doom2.wad for Doom 2 etc. Send me an
e-mail if you're having trouble with it....

--

-------
E-mail : frpau*REMOVE-TO-REPLY*@hotmail.com

Homepage : http://home.online.no/~fred-pau

<--A Serials 2000/DTG Serials mirror site-->

Lei DVD filmer via internett :
http://Film24.no/?Src=9A8BB84E-347B-4606-BCE9-5D6CF171D...

"Naked Robocop" <nakedrobocop@hotspammail.com> skrev i melding
> Hello, I have bought a CD with Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom on them.
> Since these are older should I download anything for them or just
> start playing? I have XP I hope I can play them on here I have 98 but
> do not want to reinstall it just to play a couple games. I have not
> even played yet, but what mods and other things should I look for? I
> figure I should start looking now since the games are old and a lot of
> stuff is probably hard to find.
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 12:25:39 AM

"Naked Robocop" <nakedrobocop@hotspammail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I have bought a CD with Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom on them.
> Since these are older should I download anything for them or just
> start playing? I have XP I hope I can play them on here I have 98 but
> do not want to reinstall it just to play a couple games. I have not
> even played yet, but what mods and other things should I look for? I
> figure I should start looking now since the games are old and a lot of
> stuff is probably hard to find.

I can say only one thing, zDoom is your friend! ^_^

Anyhow, jusat take a ganders at www.doomworld.com

--
"I'm programmed to never perform any extraneous tasks."

Please change 'nospam' to jcom to reply.
----- http://jcom.shorturl.com ----
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 1:20:14 AM

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:29:18 -0500, Naked Robocop
<nakedrobocop@hotspammail.com> wrote:

>Hello, I have bought a CD with Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom on them.
>Since these are older should I download anything for them or just
>start playing?

There is one patch that you need to download - MAP31 in TNT.WAD is missing
the Blue key in singleplayer. You need to download the patch to make it
playable. (BTW, you could manually patch the file as well - you only need
to change one byte and keep the modified version of the wad.)

Patch for TNT.WAD:
http://www.teamtnt.com/bugfixes.htm

> I have XP I hope I can play them on here I have 98 but
>do not want to reinstall it just to play a couple games. I have not
>even played yet, but what mods and other things should I look for?

Source ports for Doom:
http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/ports/

Recommended ones would be either prBoom (compatability), ZDoom
(versatility), or JDoom (improved rendering).
October 8, 2004 4:19:42 PM

"pop" <p_o_p@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Graeme" <graeme_dontreplyhere@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "ArWeGod" <ArWeGod?@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > news:p 549d.7733$nj.378@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> > > "Naked Robocop" <nakedrobocop@hotspammail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > If you have trouble running the games, Google for JDoom. It runs Doom
1
> > > & 2 (maybe Final, but I never had that one) under modren Windows. It
can
> > > also add better graphics, which is cool. The Imp fireballs look more
> > > dangerous coming at you, for instance.
> >
> > Ah. A new lease of life from my old DoomI/II. Just one question, when I
run
> > JDoom, it doesn't read the configuration from my Doom2 folder (i.e.
strafe
> > keys etc). I've tried putting this CFG file in various places, but I
must
> > have missed something.
> >

> assuming you did a "standard" install of the doomsday engine, .cfg files
for the
> different games go in the directory ...\doomsday\run\jdoom (...\jheretic
or
> ...\jhexen for those games) - it is best to create an autoexec.cfg (which
is
> read automatically on load) in this directory for your settings, aliases,
binds,
> etc. which is written to ...\jdoom\jdoom.cfg when the game exits.

Thanks pop. I found the file(s) and am now running around killing the little
critters.
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 7:15:34 PM

> Does anyone know if ID (or anyone else) is going to convert the original
> Doom levels to Doom 3 format?

What would be the point? They are not 3D levels.

SH
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 7:25:16 PM

>"Naked Robocop" <nakedrobocop@hotspammail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I have bought a CD with Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom on them.
> Since these are older should I download anything for them or just
> start playing? I have XP I hope I can play them...

You might have problem with the sound. Doom requires a sound IRQ in the
range 0-7, works best with SoundBlaster or SoundBlaster AWE or Roland. The
Doom engine uses a 32-buit DOS Extender called DOS/4GW Professional and it
cannot cope with more than 3.5K of enviromental variables.

Your best bet is to download the Doomsday engine (JDoom) which works on all
versions of Windows. It runs Doom1, Doom2 and Final Doom WADs more or less
out-of-the-box.

I use the Doomsday engine to play all Doom engine games (except Strife -
hopefully there will be a JStrife). So

Doom1 (Ultimate)
Doom2
Final Doom - Plutonia
Final Doom - TNT
Heretic
Hexen
Hexen - Death Kings of the Dark Citadel

and also 32-level Doom WADs:

Alien Vendetta
CyberDemon Dreams
Eternal Doom
Hell Revealed
Hell Revealed 2
Icarus
Memento Mori 1
Memento Mori 2
Requiem
Strain

Stephen Howe
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 8:59:31 PM

On 10/8/2004 7:15 AM Stephen Howe brightened our day with:

>>Does anyone know if ID (or anyone else) is going to convert the original
>>Doom levels to Doom 3 format?
>>

>What would be the point? They are not 3D levels.
>
>SH

Go download the CDoom level, http://cdoom.d3files.com/, it really takes
you back to the old Doom and it's all modernized and stuff.
I found it to be lots of fun.

--
"Coming soon: Meatspace spyware, little men who live in your cupboards and watch what you eat and then try to sell you timeshares in Toronto."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 3:27:22 AM

http://www.doomsdayhq.com/ is your friend. ;)

Naked Robocop <nakedrobocop@hotspammail.com> wrote:
> Hello, I have bought a CD with Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom on them.
> Since these are older should I download anything for them or just
> start playing? I have XP I hope I can play them on here I have 98 but
> do not want to reinstall it just to play a couple games. I have not
> even played yet, but what mods and other things should I look for? I
> figure I should start looking now since the games are old and a lot of
> stuff is probably hard to find.
--
"I used to own an ant farm but had to give it up. I couldn't find trac-
tors small enough to fit it." --Steven Wright
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
( )
!