older doom games

Hello, I have bought a CD with Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom on them.
Since these are older should I download anything for them or just
start playing? I have XP I hope I can play them on here I have 98 but
do not want to reinstall it just to play a couple games. I have not
even played yet, but what mods and other things should I look for? I
figure I should start looking now since the games are old and a lot of
stuff is probably hard to find.
13 answers Last reply
More about older doom games
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Naked Robocop" <nakedrobocop@hotspammail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, I have bought a CD with Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom on them.
    > Since these are older should I download anything for them or just
    > start playing? I have XP I hope I can play them on here I have 98 but
    > do not want to reinstall it just to play a couple games. I have not
    > even played yet, but what mods and other things should I look for? I
    > figure I should start looking now since the games are old and a lot of
    > stuff is probably hard to find.

    If you have trouble running the games, Google for JDoom. It runs Doom 1
    & 2 (maybe Final, but I never had that one) under modren Windows. It can
    also add better graphics, which is cool. The Imp fireballs look more
    dangerous coming at you, for instance.

    --
    ArWeOld
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    --
    Wow! Those grubs at the Golden Horseshoe Saloon are a good deal!
    "ArWeGod" <ArWeGod?@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > "Naked Robocop" <nakedrobocop@hotspammail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello, I have bought a CD with Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom on them.
    >> Since these are older should I download anything for them or just
    >> start playing? I have XP I hope I can play them on here I have 98 but
    >> do not want to reinstall it just to play a couple games. I have not
    >> even played yet, but what mods and other things should I look for? I
    >> figure I should start looking now since the games are old and a lot of
    >> stuff is probably hard to find.
    >
    > If you have trouble running the games, Google for JDoom. It runs Doom 1
    > & 2 (maybe Final, but I never had that one) under modren Windows. It can
    > also add better graphics, which is cool. The Imp fireballs look more
    > dangerous coming at you, for instance.

    Does anyone know if ID (or anyone else) is going to convert the original
    Doom levels to Doom 3 format?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "ArWeGod" <ArWeGod?@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > "Naked Robocop" <nakedrobocop@hotspammail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello, I have bought a CD with Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom on them.
    > > Since these are older should I download anything for them or just
    > > start playing? I have XP I hope I can play them on here I have 98 but
    > > do not want to reinstall it just to play a couple games. I have not
    > > even played yet, but what mods and other things should I look for? I
    > > figure I should start looking now since the games are old and a lot of
    > > stuff is probably hard to find.
    >
    > If you have trouble running the games, Google for JDoom. It runs Doom 1
    > & 2 (maybe Final, but I never had that one) under modren Windows. It can
    > also add better graphics, which is cool. The Imp fireballs look more
    > dangerous coming at you, for instance.

    Ah. A new lease of life from my old DoomI/II. Just one question, when I run
    JDoom, it doesn't read the configuration from my Doom2 folder (i.e. strafe
    keys etc). I've tried putting this CFG file in various places, but I must
    have missed something.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Graeme" <graeme_dontreplyhere@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "ArWeGod" <ArWeGod?@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > "Naked Robocop" <nakedrobocop@hotspammail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hello, I have bought a CD with Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom on them.
    > > > Since these are older should I download anything for them or just
    > > > start playing? I have XP I hope I can play them on here I have 98 but
    > > > do not want to reinstall it just to play a couple games. I have not
    > > > even played yet, but what mods and other things should I look for? I
    > > > figure I should start looking now since the games are old and a lot of
    > > > stuff is probably hard to find.
    > >
    > > If you have trouble running the games, Google for JDoom. It runs Doom 1
    > > & 2 (maybe Final, but I never had that one) under modren Windows. It can
    > > also add better graphics, which is cool. The Imp fireballs look more
    > > dangerous coming at you, for instance.
    >
    > Ah. A new lease of life from my old DoomI/II. Just one question, when I run
    > JDoom, it doesn't read the configuration from my Doom2 folder (i.e. strafe
    > keys etc). I've tried putting this CFG file in various places, but I must
    > have missed something.

    assuming you did a "standard" install of the doomsday engine, .cfg files for the
    different games go in the directory ...\doomsday\run\jdoom (...\jheretic or
    ....\jhexen for those games) - it is best to create an autoexec.cfg (which is
    read automatically on load) in this directory for your settings, aliases, binds,
    etc. which is written to ...\jdoom\jdoom.cfg when the game exits.

    --
    pop is Mark
    Old age ain't no place for sissies.

    On 10/6/2004 11:39 PM Bootstrap Bill brightened our day with:

    >Does anyone know if ID (or anyone else) is going to convert the original
    >Doom levels to Doom 3 format?

    http://cdoom.d3files.com/index.php?page=news

    btw, you shouldn't put your entire reply below your signature. many
    newsreaders, as mine did, automatically snip anything after:
    "-- "

    --
    "...forged but accurate."

    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    Seek out Ultimate Doom for Windows 95 shareware on kazzaa or something,
    maybe http://www.idsoftware.com has it... Install it and delete the
    doom1.wad file in the install directory. Then search for the files doom.wad,
    doom2.wad, plutonia.wad and tnt.wad on your CD. Copy these files to the
    install dir for Doom95 on your hardrive. Then in Doom95 select the wad you
    wanna play, doom.wad for Ultimate Doom, doom2.wad for Doom 2 etc. Send me an
    e-mail if you're having trouble with it....

    --

    -------
    E-mail : frpau*REMOVE-TO-REPLY*@hotmail.com

    Homepage : http://home.online.no/~fred-pau

    <--A Serials 2000/DTG Serials mirror site-->

    Lei DVD filmer via internett :
    http://Film24.no/?Src=9A8BB84E-347B-4606-BCE9-5D6CF171DF01

    "Naked Robocop" <nakedrobocop@hotspammail.com> skrev i melding
    > Hello, I have bought a CD with Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom on them.
    > Since these are older should I download anything for them or just
    > start playing? I have XP I hope I can play them on here I have 98 but
    > do not want to reinstall it just to play a couple games. I have not
    > even played yet, but what mods and other things should I look for? I
    > figure I should start looking now since the games are old and a lot of
    > stuff is probably hard to find.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Naked Robocop" <nakedrobocop@hotspammail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, I have bought a CD with Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom on them.
    > Since these are older should I download anything for them or just
    > start playing? I have XP I hope I can play them on here I have 98 but
    > do not want to reinstall it just to play a couple games. I have not
    > even played yet, but what mods and other things should I look for? I
    > figure I should start looking now since the games are old and a lot of
    > stuff is probably hard to find.

    I can say only one thing, zDoom is your friend! ^_^

    Anyhow, jusat take a ganders at www.doomworld.com

    --
    "I'm programmed to never perform any extraneous tasks."

    Please change 'nospam' to jcom to reply.
    ----- http://jcom.shorturl.com ----
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:29:18 -0500, Naked Robocop
    <nakedrobocop@hotspammail.com> wrote:

    >Hello, I have bought a CD with Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom on them.
    >Since these are older should I download anything for them or just
    >start playing?

    There is one patch that you need to download - MAP31 in TNT.WAD is missing
    the Blue key in singleplayer. You need to download the patch to make it
    playable. (BTW, you could manually patch the file as well - you only need
    to change one byte and keep the modified version of the wad.)

    Patch for TNT.WAD:
    http://www.teamtnt.com/bugfixes.htm

    > I have XP I hope I can play them on here I have 98 but
    >do not want to reinstall it just to play a couple games. I have not
    >even played yet, but what mods and other things should I look for?

    Source ports for Doom:
    http://www.doomworld.com/classicdoom/ports/

    Recommended ones would be either prBoom (compatability), ZDoom
    (versatility), or JDoom (improved rendering).
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "pop" <p_o_p@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Graeme" <graeme_dontreplyhere@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > "ArWeGod" <ArWeGod?@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > > "Naked Robocop" <nakedrobocop@hotspammail.com> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > If you have trouble running the games, Google for JDoom. It runs Doom
    1
    > > > & 2 (maybe Final, but I never had that one) under modren Windows. It
    can
    > > > also add better graphics, which is cool. The Imp fireballs look more
    > > > dangerous coming at you, for instance.
    > >
    > > Ah. A new lease of life from my old DoomI/II. Just one question, when I
    run
    > > JDoom, it doesn't read the configuration from my Doom2 folder (i.e.
    strafe
    > > keys etc). I've tried putting this CFG file in various places, but I
    must
    > > have missed something.
    > >

    > assuming you did a "standard" install of the doomsday engine, .cfg files
    for the
    > different games go in the directory ...\doomsday\run\jdoom (...\jheretic
    or
    > ...\jhexen for those games) - it is best to create an autoexec.cfg (which
    is
    > read automatically on load) in this directory for your settings, aliases,
    binds,
    > etc. which is written to ...\jdoom\jdoom.cfg when the game exits.

    Thanks pop. I found the file(s) and am now running around killing the little
    critters.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    > Does anyone know if ID (or anyone else) is going to convert the original
    > Doom levels to Doom 3 format?

    What would be the point? They are not 3D levels.

    SH
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    >"Naked Robocop" <nakedrobocop@hotspammail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, I have bought a CD with Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom on them.
    > Since these are older should I download anything for them or just
    > start playing? I have XP I hope I can play them...

    You might have problem with the sound. Doom requires a sound IRQ in the
    range 0-7, works best with SoundBlaster or SoundBlaster AWE or Roland. The
    Doom engine uses a 32-buit DOS Extender called DOS/4GW Professional and it
    cannot cope with more than 3.5K of enviromental variables.

    Your best bet is to download the Doomsday engine (JDoom) which works on all
    versions of Windows. It runs Doom1, Doom2 and Final Doom WADs more or less
    out-of-the-box.

    I use the Doomsday engine to play all Doom engine games (except Strife -
    hopefully there will be a JStrife). So

    Doom1 (Ultimate)
    Doom2
    Final Doom - Plutonia
    Final Doom - TNT
    Heretic
    Hexen
    Hexen - Death Kings of the Dark Citadel

    and also 32-level Doom WADs:

    Alien Vendetta
    CyberDemon Dreams
    Eternal Doom
    Hell Revealed
    Hell Revealed 2
    Icarus
    Memento Mori 1
    Memento Mori 2
    Requiem
    Strain

    Stephen Howe
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    On 10/8/2004 7:15 AM Stephen Howe brightened our day with:

    >>Does anyone know if ID (or anyone else) is going to convert the original
    >>Doom levels to Doom 3 format?
    >>

    >What would be the point? They are not 3D levels.
    >
    >SH

    Go download the CDoom level, http://cdoom.d3files.com/, it really takes
    you back to the old Doom and it's all modernized and stuff.
    I found it to be lots of fun.

    --
    "Coming soon: Meatspace spyware, little men who live in your cupboards and watch what you eat and then try to sell you timeshares in Toronto."

    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    http://www.doomsdayhq.com/ is your friend. ;)

    Naked Robocop <nakedrobocop@hotspammail.com> wrote:
    > Hello, I have bought a CD with Doom 1 and 2 and Final Doom on them.
    > Since these are older should I download anything for them or just
    > start playing? I have XP I hope I can play them on here I have 98 but
    > do not want to reinstall it just to play a couple games. I have not
    > even played yet, but what mods and other things should I look for? I
    > figure I should start looking now since the games are old and a lot of
    > stuff is probably hard to find.
    --
    "I used to own an ant farm but had to give it up. I couldn't find trac-
    tors small enough to fit it." --Steven Wright
    | |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
    \ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address if your e-mail was returned.
    ( )

Games CD-Rom Video Games