Why cant I replace the CDROM in my 933 with a HDD?

Can anyone think of any reason why I can't replace the CD-ROM in my
Performance 933 with a 30 gig hard drive (temporarily)?

I have tried and tried all sorts of different ways and the BIOS just won't
see the drive. I did go into and set the BIOS to 'auto' (as it was set to
only see a CD-ROM on the secondary chain) but nothing can let it recognise
even the name on the IBM Travelstar drive, even during the pre-BIOS pre-POST
(or is it the Power on Self Test itself) system check. Granted, I am using
a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter but that in itself shouldnt prevent the system seeing
the drive? This problem seems to have no reason to exist and taunt me?

Jumper settings are correct? CS or master depending on the cable type.
Drive is attached to the proper position on a CS cable?

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:38:36 -0500, "My father's son"
<myfathersson@nospam.rcn.com> wrote:

>Can anyone think of any reason why I can't replace the CD-ROM in my
>Performance 933 with a 30 gig hard drive (temporarily)?
>
>I have tried and tried all sorts of different ways and the BIOS just won't
>see the drive. I did go into and set the BIOS to 'auto' (as it was set to
>only see a CD-ROM on the secondary chain) but nothing can let it recognise
>even the name on the IBM Travelstar drive, even during the pre-BIOS pre-POST
>(or is it the Power on Self Test itself) system check. Granted, I am using
>a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter but that in itself shouldnt prevent the system seeing
>the drive? This problem seems to have no reason to exist and taunt me?

> Jumper settings are correct? CS or master depending on the cable type.
> Drive is attached to the proper position on a CS cable?
No, I thought I would obviate that problem with using only one drive on that
chain and designating it master (secondary master).

Curiously enough, the 2.5 to 3.5 adapter works on the master chain and reads
a 12 gig Toshiba drive properly (whether I try to use it as a master on that
chain or as a secondary by bodging a jumper in somehow, which with those
Travelstar drives isnt easy). It is just the Travelstar wihch isn't seen at
all. At first I thought that it was broken and posted a message along those
lines when it wouldnt work on any computer but then I found today that it IS
still working in a notebook so I am completely baffled by it not working in
the Performance

Does the TravelStar work as the master on the primary IDE controller? ... Ben

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:52:43 -0500, "My father's son"
<myfathersson@nospam.rcn.com> wrote:

>> Jumper settings are correct? CS or master depending on the cable type.
>> Drive is attached to the proper position on a CS cable?
>No, I thought I would obviate that problem with using only one drive on that
>chain and designating it master (secondary master).
>
>Curiously enough, the 2.5 to 3.5 adapter works on the master chain and reads
>a 12 gig Toshiba drive properly (whether I try to use it as a master on that
>chain or as a secondary by bodging a jumper in somehow, which with those
>Travelstar drives isnt easy). It is just the Travelstar wihch isn't seen at
>all. At first I thought that it was broken and posted a message along those
>lines when it wouldnt work on any computer but then I found today that it IS
>still working in a notebook so I am completely baffled by it not working in
>the Performance

I'll check again but I posted here because I couldn't get it to work at all
and eventually gave it up as dead before I tried putting it back in a
notebook (after someone said that a certain amount of rattle was normal for
a notebook drive) and found it working. So I wondered if anything in the box
itself could be preventing a 2.5 drive of 30 gig from working.