ECS 848P-A: bad deal!

littleberry

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
After sweating out a whole lot of problems I am concluding that this is a bad deal. Even though the prescott CPU seems to be working OK, the motherboard (ECS 848P-A) will not support either sound nor USB2. After installing the drivers for sound and USB2 (from the ECS website), it froze up my windows 98 se system and I don't know how to get it back (using safe mode does not help). It freezes right after loading the mouse drivers (????). Windows 2000 has NO USB2 support that I can find anywhere. It looks like this board is badly needing GOOD software support for either windows 98se OR windows 2000 - I am not able to use XP.
Unless ECS reponds to my support requests, it looks like this whole shebang will go back to Fry's. Just so any others thinking about it will know where the "catch" is with this deal - bad (or non-existent) driver support for the so-called on-board sound and USB2. Littleberry

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I told you before, you got a good price on the CPU, the board was free, you should have sold the board new on eBay and gotten a decent one.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS