West Virginia?

Hi Gang,

I'm headed for West Virginia.... wondering if I'll get a digital signal in the
cities......

Anyone know?

TIA,
Hunter

http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm
26 answers Last reply
More about west virginia

    On 15 Aug 2004 15:19:29 GMT, hhamp5246@aol.comnojunk (HHamp5246) chose to
    add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

    >Hi Gang,
    >
    >I'm headed for West Virginia.... wondering if I'll get a digital signal in the
    >cities......
    >
    >Anyone know?

    A couple weeks ago, I drove... I forget what road, I-68 I think, from
    Maryland into WV until it ends at Morgantown, then north from there to
    Pittsburgh (I-79?). A quick check of my voice notes seems to indicate I was
    on Alltell SID 1794 most of the time, occasionally blipping onto VZW SID
    32.

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "Fate -- protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise."
    - Cdr. William Riker

    David S <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:

    > A couple weeks ago, I drove... I forget what road, I-68 I think, from
    > Maryland into WV until it ends at Morgantown, then north from there to
    > Pittsburgh (I-79?). A quick check of my voice notes seems to indicate I was
    > on Alltell SID 1794 most of the time, occasionally blipping onto VZW SID
    > 32.

    I thought that too, last time I was out there, but unless things have changed,
    I-68 is US Cellular - either way, it should be extended network.

    What about 79, 77? 64?

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:38:54 -0500, Steven J Sobol
    <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

    >I thought that too, last time I was out there, but unless things have changed,
    >I-68 is US Cellular - either way, it should be extended network.

    Indeed it is US Cellular, SID 1794 and is extended network. Same thing
    for the eastern panhandle (I-81) as well as western Maryland (I-70 &
    I-68).

    Also for Bedford County on the PA Turnpike (I-76) in Pennsylvania (I
    forget off hand if its SID 1794 or 364).

    >What about 79, 77? 64?

    Good question. ROAD TRIP! :-)

    Dave

    hhamp5246@aol.comnojunk (HHamp5246) wrote in

    > Hi Gang,
    >
    > I'm headed for West Virginia.... wondering if I'll get a digital
    > signal in the cities......
    >
    > Anyone know?

    I don't know about digital (didn't pay attention), but a few days ago I was
    in Morgantown (the Good Sam's campground), and just had the Extended
    Network (so couldn't access the Internet via Verizon).

    --
    Tom McCune

    Yes for Parkersburg, Charleston, Ripley, Spencer, Glenville and
    Parkersburg..........of course, there are no real cities in WV, so this was
    kind of a trick question!

    Yes, I'm a native, so I can say that!

    Janie

    "HHamp5246" <hhamp5246@aol.comnojunk> wrote in message
    > Hi Gang,
    >
    > I'm headed for West Virginia.... wondering if I'll get a digital signal in
    the
    > cities......
    >
    > Anyone know?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Hunter
    >
    > http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm

    Thanks everyone who replied... I'm trying to decide what route to take.....

    I hate to not be able to get online )c:

    > Thanks everyone who replied... I'm trying to decide what route to
    take.....

    > I hate to not be able to get online )c:
    >
    > Hunter
    > http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm

    If you can't get online, how do you post here?

    >..of course, there are no real cities in WV, so this was
    >kind of a trick question!

    hahaha! I thought of that when I asked....

    Hunter
    http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm

    >If you can't get online, how do you post here?

    Marc,

    I can get online here, I'm in PA..... I'm heading south trying to decide if I
    want to go through Ohio, which I always do... or vary the route and go through
    West VA.

    WV is winning.....

    On 15 Aug 2004 22:44:43 GMT, hhamp5246@aol.comnojunk (HHamp5246)
    wrote:

    >I can get online here, I'm in PA..... I'm heading south trying to decide if I
    >want to go through Ohio, which I always do... or vary the route and go through
    >West VA.
    >
    >WV is winning.....

    Too bad...if you go through Ohio you could wave to (or even meet) me!
    :D

    From personal memories - though I haven't traveled the route in nearly
    2 years... I-77 is covered in the metro areas (for what they're worth
    ;) by U.S. Cellular in the south and Alltel in the north, and I think
    there's VZW native coverage up by Parkersburg/Marietta.

    I couldn't get much signal between Beckley/Bluefield (USC) and
    Charleston (Alltel) in the mountainous areas. But most populated
    areas should be covered, and it was all digital coverage last I was
    there.

    I used to do the U.S. 460 to I-77 through WV route about once every
    couple of months or so.

    Mike

    HHamp5246 <hhamp5246@aol.comnojunk> wrote:
    >>If you can't get online, how do you post here?
    >
    > Marc,
    >
    > I can get online here, I'm in PA..... I'm heading south trying to decide if I
    > want to go through Ohio, which I always do... or vary the route and go through
    > West VA.
    >
    > WV is winning.....

    Where in PA are you?

    Just drove thru Charleston WV Friday and it looked like a big,
    beautiful city to me.

    QE in NJ
    ================

    QuienEs <QuienEsREMOVETHISandthis@optonline.net> wrote:
    > Just drove thru Charleston WV Friday and it looked like a big,
    > beautiful city to me.

    Charleston is gorgeous. I love how the state capitol and the rest of the
    buildings downtown seem to be carved out of the mountains. It's a pretty
    drive.

    >Too bad...if you go through Ohio you could wave to (or even meet) me!
    >:D

    Where? I usually do the Ohio route.... I lived in Cincinnati for 7 years!

    Hunter
    http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm

    "HHamp5246" <hhamp5246@aol.comnojunk> wrote in message
    > Hi Gang,
    >
    > I'm headed for West Virginia.... wondering if I'll get a digital signal in
    the
    > cities......
    >
    > Anyone know?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Hunter
    >
    > http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm

    The cities i'm not sure but i was coming back from florida heading up 77
    through the mountains there and roaming a good part of the time and i even
    looked once to see i was getting an analog signal!

    >Where in PA are you?

    Mercer right now, will be in Mount Morris tomorrow night, on 79. Then West
    Virginia.

    Hunter
    http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm

    HHamp5246 <hhamp5246@aol.comnojunk> wrote:
    >>Where in PA are you?
    >
    > Mercer right now, will be in Mount Morris tomorrow night, on 79. Then West
    > Virginia.

    Hmmm. Most of Mercer County should be solid Verizon. 79 through Pittsburgh
    should be solid Verizon coverage too... in fact, you should have good coverage
    all the way to WV. You'll probably hit US Cellular not too far north of the
    WV line.

    Caveat: this is based on the last time I travelled in that area, which would
    be October of 2002. Having said that, I seriously doubt anything major has
    changed.

    On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:38:54 -0500, Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
    everything:

    >David S <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:
    >
    >> A couple weeks ago, I drove... I forget what road, I-68 I think, from
    >> Maryland into WV until it ends at Morgantown, then north from there to
    >> Pittsburgh (I-79?). A quick check of my voice notes seems to indicate I was
    >> on Alltell SID 1794 most of the time, occasionally blipping onto VZW SID
    >> 32.
    >
    >I thought that too, last time I was out there, but unless things have changed,
    >I-68 is US Cellular - either way, it should be extended network.
    >
    >What about 79, 77? 64?

    You're right, it is USCC. I was getting blips of SID 32 (VZW) as close to
    Morgantown as milepost 8 on I-68. On I-79, I didn't notice where it
    switched, but it was on 32 at the first rest stop into PA.

    On the eastbound trip, I took the PA Turnpike (I-76) to I-70 into MD. On
    the part of I-70 in PA, there was a lot of switching between 32, 1794, AMPS
    B (didn't last long enough to check the SID), and no service.

    This is with a VX-4400 inside a Chevy Caprice, using its own antenna, still
    running PRL 50160.

    I found this route to be much more pleasant than the Turnpike (although I
    should admit that was on the Turnpike at dawn, had been up for over 20
    hours and driving continuously for 12, and really shouldn't have been
    driving in that condition), and ya gotta love that 70 MPH speed limit in
    WV!

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "You're my friend. I would call you repulsive in a second."
    - Willow to Buffy

    >Hmmm. Most of Mercer County should be solid Verizon. 79 through Pittsburgh
    >should be solid Verizon coverage too... in fact, you should have good
    >coverage
    >all the way to WV. You'll probably hit US Cellular not too far north of the
    >WV line.

    I'm in Mt Morris now, at a campground off I-79 at exit 1. Getting a great
    signal.

    Tomorrow west virginia, I'm afraid no signal til I get to Virginia....

    Hunter
    http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm

    HHamp5246 <hhamp5246@aol.comnojunk> wrote:
    >>Hmmm. Most of Mercer County should be solid Verizon. 79 through Pittsburgh
    >>should be solid Verizon coverage too... in fact, you should have good
    >>coverage
    >>all the way to WV. You'll probably hit US Cellular not too far north of the
    >>WV line.
    >
    > I'm in Mt Morris now, at a campground off I-79 at exit 1. Getting a great
    > signal.
    >
    > Tomorrow west virginia, I'm afraid no signal til I get to Virginia....

    How are you getting to Virginia? 79 and 68 will be fine. If you're doing
    79 through Fairmont down to Charleston, I have no idea how you'll do, although
    my bet is that you'll at least have USCC most (if not all) of the way to
    Charleston. Others have discussed WV issues once you get south of Charleston
    on 77 on the way to VA.

    >How are you getting to Virginia? 79 and 68 will be fine.

    79 to 19 to 77 to Wytheville.....

    The thing is I want to be able to get online, like I am now......

    Extended network won't get me online.

    I don't think I'll get a digital signal... will I?

    Hunter
    http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm

    HHamp5246 <hhamp5246@aol.comnojunk> wrote:

    > Extended network won't get me online.
    >
    > I don't think I'll get a digital signal... will I?

    Probably on USCC. Maybe, maybe not on other carriers.

    HHamp5246 wrote:

    > I'm in Mt Morris now, at a campground off I-79 at exit 1. Getting a great
    > signal.
    >
    > Tomorrow west virginia, I'm afraid no signal til I get to Virginia....

    If I had an RV, part of its 'kit" would be a mast, 800/1900 yagi antenna
    pulling at least 8db, an amplifier kit (at least 1 watt) and the
    goodies to wire it all up ;)

    JS

    >If I had an RV, part of its 'kit" would be a mast, 800/1900 yagi antenna
    > pulling at least 8db, an amplifier kit (at least 1 watt) and the
    >goodies to wire it all up ;)

    Never heard of it..... I have a Wilson Trucker which is very helpful. Last
    place I went from NO Serve to online.... when I plugged the phone n.

    > >If I had an RV, part of its 'kit" would be a mast, 800/1900 yagi antenna
    > > pulling at least 8db, an amplifier kit (at least 1 watt) and the
    > >goodies to wire it all up ;)
    > >

    > Never heard of it..... I have a Wilson Trucker which is very helpful. Last
    > place I went from NO Serve to online.... when I plugged the phone n.
    >
    > Hunter
    > http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm

    Cell repeater kits, about $500, same as in building repeaters. High gain ant
    on roof (flat panel directional, on the TV ant so it can be rotated), amp,
    omni ant inside the RV, no wire to phone needed see www.cellantenna.com .
    Does take minimal manual aiming however, only works when stopped, good for
    extreme boondockers, and doesn't work on auto aiming sat dishes in the dome.
    The wilson RV/Trucker at www.wilsoncellular.com is much easier for people
    that move around (requires no aiming, works when on the move), and with the
    extra height of most RV roofs (about 12 ft or so) gives an excellent signal
    in many cases and is great for people that stay in suburban areas. (not real
    good at GB's :)

    On 18 Aug 2004 02:34:37 GMT, hhamp5246@aol.comnojunk (HHamp5246) chose to
    add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

    >>How are you getting to Virginia? 79 and 68 will be fine.
    >
    >79 to 19 to 77 to Wytheville.....
    >
    >The thing is I want to be able to get online, like I am now......
    >
    >Extended network won't get me online.
    >
    >I don't think I'll get a digital signal... will I?

    USCC is absolutely digital, 1xRTT (I encountered an area in Indiana or Ohio
    where Alltell still had digital that wasn't 1x), but you're right, you
    probably can't use NA on it.

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "Aaaaaaaaaaaaah... Sixteen and dating a dabo girl... Godspeed, Jake."
    - Chief Miles O'Brien

Verizon Internet Service Providers Product