West Virginia?

Last response: in Network Providers
August 15, 2004 7:19:29 PM

Hi Gang,

I'm headed for West Virginia.... wondering if I'll get a digital signal in the
cities......

Anyone know?

TIA,
Hunter

http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm

More about : west virginia

Anonymous
August 15, 2004 7:53:03 PM

On 15 Aug 2004 15:19:29 GMT, hhamp5246@aol.comnojunk (HHamp5246) chose to
add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>Hi Gang,
>
>I'm headed for West Virginia.... wondering if I'll get a digital signal in the
>cities......
>
>Anyone know?

A couple weeks ago, I drove... I forget what road, I-68 I think, from
Maryland into WV until it ends at Morgantown, then north from there to
Pittsburgh (I-79?). A quick check of my voice notes seems to indicate I was
on Alltell SID 1794 most of the time, occasionally blipping onto VZW SID
32.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Fate -- protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise."
- Cdr. William Riker
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 7:53:04 PM

David S <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:

> A couple weeks ago, I drove... I forget what road, I-68 I think, from
> Maryland into WV until it ends at Morgantown, then north from there to
> Pittsburgh (I-79?). A quick check of my voice notes seems to indicate I was
> on Alltell SID 1794 most of the time, occasionally blipping onto VZW SID
> 32.

I thought that too, last time I was out there, but unless things have changed,
I-68 is US Cellular - either way, it should be extended network.

What about 79, 77? 64?

August 15, 2004 7:53:05 PM

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:38:54 -0500, Steven J Sobol
<sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>I thought that too, last time I was out there, but unless things have changed,
>I-68 is US Cellular - either way, it should be extended network.

Indeed it is US Cellular, SID 1794 and is extended network. Same thing
for the eastern panhandle (I-81) as well as western Maryland (I-70 &
I-68).

Also for Bedford County on the PA Turnpike (I-76) in Pennsylvania (I
forget off hand if its SID 1794 or 364).

>What about 79, 77? 64?

Good question. ROAD TRIP! :-)

Dave
Anonymous
August 15, 2004 11:19:35 PM

hhamp5246@aol.comnojunk (HHamp5246) wrote in

> Hi Gang,
>
> I'm headed for West Virginia.... wondering if I'll get a digital
> signal in the cities......
>
> Anyone know?

I don't know about digital (didn't pay attention), but a few days ago I was
in Morgantown (the Good Sam's campground), and just had the Extended
Network (so couldn't access the Internet via Verizon).

--
Tom McCune
August 16, 2004 12:17:56 AM

Yes for Parkersburg, Charleston, Ripley, Spencer, Glenville and
Parkersburg..........of course, there are no real cities in WV, so this was
kind of a trick question!

Yes, I'm a native, so I can say that!

Janie

"HHamp5246" <hhamp5246@aol.comnojunk> wrote in message
> Hi Gang,
>
> I'm headed for West Virginia.... wondering if I'll get a digital signal in
the
> cities......
>
> Anyone know?
>
> TIA,
> Hunter
>
> http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 12:40:28 AM

> Thanks everyone who replied... I'm trying to decide what route to
take.....

> I hate to not be able to get online )c:
>
> Hunter
> http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm

If you can't get online, how do you post here?
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 2:44:43 AM

>If you can't get online, how do you post here?

Marc,

I can get online here, I'm in PA..... I'm heading south trying to decide if I
want to go through Ohio, which I always do... or vary the route and go through
West VA.

WV is winning.....

Hunter
http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm
August 16, 2004 2:44:44 AM

On 15 Aug 2004 22:44:43 GMT, hhamp5246@aol.comnojunk (HHamp5246)
wrote:

>I can get online here, I'm in PA..... I'm heading south trying to decide if I
>want to go through Ohio, which I always do... or vary the route and go through
>West VA.
>
>WV is winning.....

Too bad...if you go through Ohio you could wave to (or even meet) me!
:D

From personal memories - though I haven't traveled the route in nearly
2 years... I-77 is covered in the metro areas (for what they're worth
;)  by U.S. Cellular in the south and Alltel in the north, and I think
there's VZW native coverage up by Parkersburg/Marietta.

I couldn't get much signal between Beckley/Bluefield (USC) and
Charleston (Alltel) in the mountainous areas. But most populated
areas should be covered, and it was all digital coverage last I was
there.

I used to do the U.S. 460 to I-77 through WV route about once every
couple of months or so.

Mike
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 2:44:44 AM

HHamp5246 <hhamp5246@aol.comnojunk> wrote:
>>If you can't get online, how do you post here?
>
> Marc,
>
> I can get online here, I'm in PA..... I'm heading south trying to decide if I
> want to go through Ohio, which I always do... or vary the route and go through
> West VA.
>
> WV is winning.....

Where in PA are you?

August 16, 2004 4:13:18 AM

Just drove thru Charleston WV Friday and it looked like a big,
beautiful city to me.

QE in NJ
================
On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 20:17:56 GMT, "Janie Collins"
<jjcollins@triad.rr.com> wrote:

|Yes for Parkersburg, Charleston, Ripley, Spencer, Glenville and
|Parkersburg..........of course, there are no real cities in WV, so
this was
|kind of a trick question!
|
|Yes, I'm a native, so I can say that!
|
|Janie

|"HHamp5246" <hhamp5246@aol.comnojunk> wrote in message
|> Hi Gang,
|>
|> I'm headed for West Virginia.... wondering if I'll get a digital
signal in
|the
|> cities......
|>
|> Anyone know?
|>
|> TIA,
|> Hunter
|>
|> http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm

Anonymous
August 16, 2004 4:13:19 AM

QuienEs <QuienEsREMOVETHISandthis@optonline.net> wrote:
> Just drove thru Charleston WV Friday and it looked like a big,
> beautiful city to me.

Charleston is gorgeous. I love how the state capitol and the rest of the
buildings downtown seem to be carved out of the mountains. It's a pretty
drive.

August 16, 2004 5:08:53 AM

>Too bad...if you go through Ohio you could wave to (or even meet) me!
>:D

Where? I usually do the Ohio route.... I lived in Cincinnati for 7 years!

Hunter
http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 12:02:14 PM

"HHamp5246" <hhamp5246@aol.comnojunk> wrote in message
> Hi Gang,
>
> I'm headed for West Virginia.... wondering if I'll get a digital signal in
the
> cities......
>
> Anyone know?
>
> TIA,
> Hunter
>
> http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm

The cities i'm not sure but i was coming back from florida heading up 77
through the mountains there and roaming a good part of the time and i even
looked once to see i was getting an analog signal!
Anonymous
August 17, 2004 5:57:15 AM

HHamp5246 <hhamp5246@aol.comnojunk> wrote:
>>Where in PA are you?
>
> Mercer right now, will be in Mount Morris tomorrow night, on 79. Then West
> Virginia.

Hmmm. Most of Mercer County should be solid Verizon. 79 through Pittsburgh
should be solid Verizon coverage too... in fact, you should have good coverage
all the way to WV. You'll probably hit US Cellular not too far north of the
WV line.

Caveat: this is based on the last time I travelled in that area, which would
be October of 2002. Having said that, I seriously doubt anything major has
changed.

August 17, 2004 7:37:31 AM

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 11:38:54 -0500, Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
everything:

>David S <dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:
>
>> A couple weeks ago, I drove... I forget what road, I-68 I think, from
>> Maryland into WV until it ends at Morgantown, then north from there to
>> Pittsburgh (I-79?). A quick check of my voice notes seems to indicate I was
>> on Alltell SID 1794 most of the time, occasionally blipping onto VZW SID
>> 32.
>
>I thought that too, last time I was out there, but unless things have changed,
>I-68 is US Cellular - either way, it should be extended network.
>
>What about 79, 77? 64?

You're right, it is USCC. I was getting blips of SID 32 (VZW) as close to
Morgantown as milepost 8 on I-68. On I-79, I didn't notice where it
switched, but it was on 32 at the first rest stop into PA.

On the eastbound trip, I took the PA Turnpike (I-76) to I-70 into MD. On
the part of I-70 in PA, there was a lot of switching between 32, 1794, AMPS
B (didn't last long enough to check the SID), and no service.

This is with a VX-4400 inside a Chevy Caprice, using its own antenna, still
running PRL 50160.

I found this route to be much more pleasant than the Turnpike (although I
should admit that was on the Turnpike at dawn, had been up for over 20
hours and driving continuously for 12, and really shouldn't have been
driving in that condition), and ya gotta love that 70 MPH speed limit in
WV!

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"You're my friend. I would call you repulsive in a second."
- Willow to Buffy
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 5:38:31 AM

>Hmmm. Most of Mercer County should be solid Verizon. 79 through Pittsburgh
>should be solid Verizon coverage too... in fact, you should have good
>coverage
>all the way to WV. You'll probably hit US Cellular not too far north of the
>WV line.

I'm in Mt Morris now, at a campground off I-79 at exit 1. Getting a great
signal.

Tomorrow west virginia, I'm afraid no signal til I get to Virginia....

Hunter
http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 5:38:32 AM

HHamp5246 <hhamp5246@aol.comnojunk> wrote:
>>Hmmm. Most of Mercer County should be solid Verizon. 79 through Pittsburgh
>>should be solid Verizon coverage too... in fact, you should have good
>>coverage
>>all the way to WV. You'll probably hit US Cellular not too far north of the
>>WV line.
>
> I'm in Mt Morris now, at a campground off I-79 at exit 1. Getting a great
> signal.
>
> Tomorrow west virginia, I'm afraid no signal til I get to Virginia....

How are you getting to Virginia? 79 and 68 will be fine. If you're doing
79 through Fairmont down to Charleston, I have no idea how you'll do, although
my bet is that you'll at least have USCC most (if not all) of the way to
Charleston. Others have discussed WV issues once you get south of Charleston
on 77 on the way to VA.

August 18, 2004 6:34:37 AM

>How are you getting to Virginia? 79 and 68 will be fine.

79 to 19 to 77 to Wytheville.....

The thing is I want to be able to get online, like I am now......

Extended network won't get me online.

I don't think I'll get a digital signal... will I?

Hunter
http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 6:34:38 AM

HHamp5246 <hhamp5246@aol.comnojunk> wrote:

> Extended network won't get me online.
>
> I don't think I'll get a digital signal... will I?

Probably on USCC. Maybe, maybe not on other carriers.

August 18, 2004 9:45:22 AM

HHamp5246 wrote:

> I'm in Mt Morris now, at a campground off I-79 at exit 1. Getting a great
> signal.
>
> Tomorrow west virginia, I'm afraid no signal til I get to Virginia....

If I had an RV, part of its 'kit" would be a mast, 800/1900 yagi antenna
pulling at least 8db, an amplifier kit (at least 1 watt) and the
goodies to wire it all up ;)

JS
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 3:59:19 PM

>If I had an RV, part of its 'kit" would be a mast, 800/1900 yagi antenna
> pulling at least 8db, an amplifier kit (at least 1 watt) and the
>goodies to wire it all up ;)

Never heard of it..... I have a Wilson Trucker which is very helpful. Last
place I went from NO Serve to online.... when I plugged the phone n.

Hunter
http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 3:59:20 PM

> >If I had an RV, part of its 'kit" would be a mast, 800/1900 yagi antenna
> > pulling at least 8db, an amplifier kit (at least 1 watt) and the
> >goodies to wire it all up ;)
> >

> Never heard of it..... I have a Wilson Trucker which is very helpful. Last
> place I went from NO Serve to online.... when I plugged the phone n.
>
> Hunter
> http://members.aol.com/ILuvBrady/summer2004.htm

Cell repeater kits, about $500, same as in building repeaters. High gain ant
on roof (flat panel directional, on the TV ant so it can be rotated), amp,
omni ant inside the RV, no wire to phone needed see www.cellantenna.com .
Does take minimal manual aiming however, only works when stopped, good for
extreme boondockers, and doesn't work on auto aiming sat dishes in the dome.
The wilson RV/Trucker at www.wilsoncellular.com is much easier for people
that move around (requires no aiming, works when on the move), and with the
extra height of most RV roofs (about 12 ft or so) gives an excellent signal
in many cases and is great for people that stay in suburban areas. (not real
good at GB's :)
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 6:22:19 AM

On 18 Aug 2004 02:34:37 GMT, hhamp5246@aol.comnojunk (HHamp5246) chose to
add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>>How are you getting to Virginia? 79 and 68 will be fine.
>
>79 to 19 to 77 to Wytheville.....
>
>The thing is I want to be able to get online, like I am now......
>
>Extended network won't get me online.
>
>I don't think I'll get a digital signal... will I?

USCC is absolutely digital, 1xRTT (I encountered an area in Indiana or Ohio
where Alltell still had digital that wasn't 1x), but you're right, you
probably can't use NA on it.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Aaaaaaaaaaaaah... Sixteen and dating a dabo girl... Godspeed, Jake."
- Chief Miles O'Brien
!