Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

LAN/WiFi Network Plan

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
October 17, 2004 11:48:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Hi--

I'm in the process of setting up a WiFi and LAN network.

Before I go there I need to make sure I understand my existing Network
Connections.

My present system is a desktop running XP Home. My ISP is
EarthlinkCable/Time Warner. The Network Connections folder in the Control
Panel on my system, shows the three items below:

First, there is a 1394 Connection, which is Disabled. I presume this is
the IEEE 1394 (Firewire) port on my sound card--not in use.

Second, there is an icon for EL that says EarthlinkCable WAN Miniport
(PPPOE). In the Explorer Details column this connection shows as
"disabled, firewalled." It baffles me why this is even here. Can this be
deleted? How? What is the purpose of this connection?

Third, there is Local Area Connection. The Details show this is
connected, firewalled--also shows the type of NIC card--the IP address--
Subnet Mask--Assigned by DHCP.

The network I am setting up will only consist of the existing desktop
running XP Home and a new laptop running XP Pro. There will also be a
printer that is both Ethernet and WiFi enabled. There's a docking
station/port replicator for the laptop. I plan to "set up a home or
small office network" letting the Wizard step me through that.

The desktop, docking station and printer will be networked both via
Ethernet and WiFi using a Linksys WRT54GS router. The laptop is an HP
zt3000 series with Intel Centrino as the WiFi link.

The idea is to use the Ethernet network when the laptop is docked and
the WiFi when undocked around the house, patio, etc. or at "Hotspots"
away from home.

I chose this concept to avoid using WiFi when docked to reduce security
risks. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Re the "Hotspots," is anyone using the Earthlink wireless subscription
service?

Is there some better solution for connecting at "Hotspots?"

TIA for feedback, replies.

bc

More about : lan wifi network plan

Anonymous
October 17, 2004 11:48:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

If you're using a router then any other PPPoE items MUST be deleted.
Connect your Earthlink modem to the WAN port on the router and plug other
computers into one of the 4 Ethernet ports.

From a computer connected by wire, enter the Linksys setup page by entering
http://192.168.1.1 in the address bar of IE. When the login window comes
up, leave username blank and type admin as the password.
Then configure your Earthlink connection username, password, enable PPPoE,
keep connection active, set MTU to 1492 and click on connect. You should be
on the Internet.
Then run the wireless network setup wizard to network the wireless computer.

"bc" <bcbcbc@checkinthemail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9585A062D3652bcbcbcklmxyz@207.69.189.191...
> Hi--
>
> I'm in the process of setting up a WiFi and LAN network.
>
> Before I go there I need to make sure I understand my existing Network
> Connections.
>
> My present system is a desktop running XP Home. My ISP is
> EarthlinkCable/Time Warner. The Network Connections folder in the Control
> Panel on my system, shows the three items below:
>
> First, there is a 1394 Connection, which is Disabled. I presume this is
> the IEEE 1394 (Firewire) port on my sound card--not in use.
>
> Second, there is an icon for EL that says EarthlinkCable WAN Miniport
> (PPPOE). In the Explorer Details column this connection shows as
> "disabled, firewalled." It baffles me why this is even here.
Can this be deleted? YES
How? Highlight it and click on delete
What is the purpose of this connection?
for a direct connection to Earthlink, IF you aren't going
through a router.
>
> Third, there is Local Area Connection. The Details show this is
> connected, firewalled--also shows the type of NIC card--the IP address--
> Subnet Mask--Assigned by DHCP.
>
> The network I am setting up will only consist of the existing desktop
> running XP Home and a new laptop running XP Pro. There will also be a
> printer that is both Ethernet and WiFi enabled. There's a docking
> station/port replicator for the laptop. I plan to "set up a home or
> small office network" letting the Wizard step me through that.
>
> The desktop, docking station and printer will be networked both via
> Ethernet and WiFi using a Linksys WRT54GS router. The laptop is an HP
> zt3000 series with Intel Centrino as the WiFi link.
>
> The idea is to use the Ethernet network when the laptop is docked and
> the WiFi when undocked around the house, patio, etc. or at "Hotspots"
> away from home.
>
> I chose this concept to avoid using WiFi when docked to reduce security
> risks. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?
>
> Re the "Hotspots," is anyone using the Earthlink wireless subscription
> service?
>
> Is there some better solution for connecting at "Hotspots?"
>
> TIA for feedback, replies.
>
> bc
October 18, 2004 5:54:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Alan White" <alanwhite@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:VTCcd.7514$J16.273677@news20.bellglobal.com:

> If you're using a router then any other PPPoE items MUST be deleted.
> Connect your Earthlink modem to the WAN port on the router and plug
> other computers into one of the 4 Ethernet ports.
> Then configure your Earthlink connection username, password, enable
> PPPoE, keep connection active, set MTU to 1492 and click on connect.
> You should be on the Internet.

Allen--

Thanks for the response.

I am confused by the "enable PPPoE."

Apparently the Earthlink connection supports DHCP since that is how I am
now connected from my NIC card to the cable modem. Why can't I just
select the "Local Area Connection" in my Network Connections folder then
click on "Setup Home or Small Business Network Connection" which launches
Network Connection Wizard. Wouldn't that then step me through setup of
the LAN using the DHCP to create the IP address, etc. I don't what PPPoE
is and why I need it.

Then with the Internet connection on I can run through the router
configuration protocol.

You said below that I could delete the existing EL WAN Miniport PPPoE.
I've done that now. That's gone and I remain happily online via Ethernet
connection to my cable modem showing as a Local Area Connection with the
DHCP notations in the Details Section of the Windows Explorer column of
Network Connections.

I queried Earthlink about this. They have a stunning reply. They say they
don't "support" multiple connections unless you buy their service for
another $10.00 a month--meaning they won't tell you anything about the
connection settings other than that you should use their godawful
software and its wizard for your setup. And of course pay them another
$10.00 a month for the same bandwidth.

I find it hard to believe that a monopolistic practice like this is even
legal. All I want is to setup an Ethernet LAN and WiFi router so I can
use either my laptop or desktop.

Thanks for your help.

bc
>
> "bc" <bcbcbc@checkinthemail.com> wrote in message
>> Second, there is an icon for EL that says EarthlinkCable WAN Miniport
>> (PPPOE). In the Explorer Details column this connection shows as
>> "disabled, firewalled." It baffles me why this is even here.
> Can this be deleted? YES
> How? Highlight it and click on delete
> What is the purpose of this connection?
> for a direct connection to Earthlink, IF you aren't
> going
> through a router.
>>
>> Third, there is Local Area Connection. The Details show this is
>> connected, firewalled--also shows the type of NIC card--the IP
>> address-- Subnet Mask--Assigned by DHCP.
Related resources
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 2:52:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 01:54:52 GMT, bc <bcbcbc@checkinthemail.com>
wrote:

>I queried Earthlink about this. They have a stunning reply. They say they
>don't "support" multiple connections unless you buy their service for
>another $10.00 a month--meaning they won't tell you anything about the
>connection settings other than that you should use their godawful
>software and its wizard for your setup. And of course pay them another
>$10.00 a month for the same bandwidth.
>
>I find it hard to believe that a monopolistic practice like this is even
>legal. All I want is to setup an Ethernet LAN and WiFi router so I can
>use either my laptop or desktop.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>bc

I don't fully understand what you mean by the above so forgive me if I
have got the wrong end of the stick but.... it sounds like there might
have been a miscommunication between you and the ISP. Your router
should support NAT (Network Address Translation) which means that you
can connect multiple computers to their service through it. The
router presents itself to the ISP as a single front door so only one
internet connection is required, however all machines on the LAN/WLAN
behind the router can use the connection and all of their local IP
addresses are hidden from the internet which sees the router and only
the router.

Again, apologies if I have misunderstood your post.
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 3:18:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

DSL connections usually use PPPoE. Which means if you're using DSL (not
cable) you need to configure your router to enable PPPoE and at the same
time you do not want PPPoE configured by Windows. Big time conflict.
But then you say Earthlink cable - so is it cable or DSL? With cable, quite
often, the router needs no configuration at all to get on to the Internet.
Cable doesn't need/use PPPoE.
Not supporting multiple connections doesn't necessarily mean you aren't
allowed to do it. They just won't give you the technical help to set it up.
With a router connected to your cable/DSL modem, you are only requesting one
IP from your ISP. Then the router with DHCP set up automatically assigns
internal IP's to your networked computers. (many opt not to use DHCP and
assign internal IP's manually).
If PPPoE (for DSL) set MTU to 1492, if cable, set MTU to 1500.

I agree with your comments, that once you are on the Internet, run the
wizards to configure your LAN, wired and wireless.
Good luck.


"bc" <bcbcbc@checkinthemail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9585DE94713C8bcbcbcklmxyz@207.69.189.191...
> "Alan White" <alanwhite@hotmail.com> wrote in
> news:VTCcd.7514$J16.273677@news20.bellglobal.com:
>
>> If you're using a router then any other PPPoE items MUST be deleted.
>> Connect your Earthlink modem to the WAN port on the router and plug
>> other computers into one of the 4 Ethernet ports.
>> Then configure your Earthlink connection username, password, enable
>> PPPoE, keep connection active, set MTU to 1492 and click on connect.
>> You should be on the Internet.
>
> Allen--
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> I am confused by the "enable PPPoE."
>
> Apparently the Earthlink connection supports DHCP since that is how I am
> now connected from my NIC card to the cable modem. Why can't I just
> select the "Local Area Connection" in my Network Connections folder then
> click on "Setup Home or Small Business Network Connection" which launches
> Network Connection Wizard. Wouldn't that then step me through setup of
> the LAN using the DHCP to create the IP address, etc. I don't what PPPoE
> is and why I need it.
>
> Then with the Internet connection on I can run through the router
> configuration protocol.
>
> You said below that I could delete the existing EL WAN Miniport PPPoE.
> I've done that now. That's gone and I remain happily online via Ethernet
> connection to my cable modem showing as a Local Area Connection with the
> DHCP notations in the Details Section of the Windows Explorer column of
> Network Connections.
>
> I queried Earthlink about this. They have a stunning reply. They say they
> don't "support" multiple connections unless you buy their service for
> another $10.00 a month--meaning they won't tell you anything about the
> connection settings other than that you should use their godawful
> software and its wizard for your setup. And of course pay them another
> $10.00 a month for the same bandwidth.
>
> I find it hard to believe that a monopolistic practice like this is even
> legal. All I want is to setup an Ethernet LAN and WiFi router so I can
> use either my laptop or desktop.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> bc
>>
>> "bc" <bcbcbc@checkinthemail.com> wrote in message
>>> Second, there is an icon for EL that says EarthlinkCable WAN Miniport
>>> (PPPOE). In the Explorer Details column this connection shows as
>>> "disabled, firewalled." It baffles me why this is even here.
>> Can this be deleted? YES
>> How? Highlight it and click on delete
>> What is the purpose of this connection?
>> for a direct connection to Earthlink, IF you aren't
>> going
>> through a router.
>>>
>>> Third, there is Local Area Connection. The Details show this is
>>> connected, firewalled--also shows the type of NIC card--the IP
>>> address-- Subnet Mask--Assigned by DHCP.
October 19, 2004 4:48:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Alan White" <alanwhite@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:D 9Rcd.35980$JG5.269179@news20.bellglobal.com:

> DSL connections usually use PPPoE. Which means if you're using DSL
> (not cable) you need to configure your router to enable PPPoE and at
> the same time you do not want PPPoE configured by Windows. Big time
> conflict. But then you say Earthlink cable - so is it cable or DSL?
> With cable, quite often, the router needs no configuration at all to
> get on to the Internet. Cable doesn't need/use PPPoE.
> Not supporting multiple connections doesn't necessarily mean you
> aren't allowed to do it. They just won't give you the technical help
> to set it up. With a router connected to your cable/DSL modem, you are
> only requesting one IP from your ISP. Then the router with DHCP set
> up automatically assigns internal IP's to your networked computers.
> (many opt not to use DHCP and assign internal IP's manually).
> If PPPoE (for DSL) set MTU to 1492, if cable, set MTU to 1500.
>
> I agree with your comments, that once you are on the Internet, run the
> wizards to configure your LAN, wired and wireless.
> Good luck.
>

Alan--

Thanks. Very helpful.

This is my first experience with either WiFi or a LAN. The pieces are
gradually falling in place.

It is Earthlink/TimeWarner cable not DSL. What really confused me was that
there was an Earthlink Cable icon in my Network Connections folder that was
set to PPPoE. It was disconnected. I have no idea how it got there in the
first place. I deleted it as you suggested in your earlier post.

I'm going to go ahead and set up the Linksys WRT54GS router though I'm
still awaiting arrival of my WiFi laptop. FedEx says was shipped from
Shanghai tonight. I'll get the Ethernet LAN set up and configured--then
deal with the WiFi when the laptop arrives.

Thanks again...

bc
!