Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Anybody know why a PCI firewire card won't load on this Motherboard? It's based on the AMD 761 chipset and a Via Southbridge.

I tried to install a Koutech (I/O Future) PFW310 firewire PCI card and it recognizes the card, but won't load the driver. I tried the card in a different computer and it works fine.

The card has a NEC chip on it. The computer is using WindowsXP Pro, Service Pack 2, and an Athlon XP1800+

Any ideas on how to get the firewire card working?

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Try a different slot. Then another, then another. Turn "PNP-OS" to "NO" in BIOS, etc etc. It's probably a problem with your southbridge. I'm assuming the Firewire card is bus mastering?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi Crash,
Thanks for the help. I tried it in two different slots already, with the same result, but I can try the other three as well (I'll have to move some stuff). It seems like all these slots share IRQ's as I look at the motherboard manual. I'll also try turning the PnP OS to "off". I'll let you know what happens...

The card does support bus mastering.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Busmastering+sharing is a problem for many chipsets, but seems most problematic with VIA chipsets. Also, it affects sharing between bustmastering devices the most, so non-busmastering devices (such as the USB controller) are your best sharing option in a pinch.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I tried all the slots and the PnP OS was already set to "no". Still no go... I even tried an Adaptec firewire card with exactly the same result. The driver won't load. I also tried loading the latest Via PCI driver... still no go.

Any other ideas on what to try? (Make a boat anchor out of this motherboard!!!)

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!