Question regarding using wireless account of somebody else

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
October 18, 2004 3:44:29 AM

Hi,
I'm able to pick up a wireless internet signal whose user account I don't
know. Am I legally allowed to do this? If not, is there any way the ISP can
get back to me? If so, how?

Thanks
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 18, 2004 9:55:19 AM

Id say if they arent using any security then they are voluntarily leaving it
open for anyone to use, jsut like a public hotspot. The ISP probably wont
know, your address is hidden from them,, unless they just dig into the
details. Play DUmb,,,,,,,,,,,, i.e. I thought it was one of those free
hotspots they keep talking about.

"Texas Longhorns" <roberto_kersevan@libero.it> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm able to pick up a wireless internet signal whose user account I don't
> know. Am I legally allowed to do this? If not, is there any way the ISP
can
> get back to me? If so, how?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 18, 2004 11:58:38 PM

Just be respectful...don't leave Bittorrent serving up 700mb cd images
using up 10s of GBs of upload bandwidth overnight.

--
alxdotnet
a b F Wireless

yea, i know. When I bought a notebook i found 5 wireless connections
available from my bedroom. I live in an appartment building so i thought it
was understandable, but in my girlfriend's house I also found few
connections. Althought very low signal still better then 56k.

"Texas Longhorns" <roberto_kersevan@libero.it> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm able to pick up a wireless internet signal whose user account I don't
> know. Am I legally allowed to do this? If not, is there any way the ISP
> can get back to me? If so, how?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 19, 2004 1:59:39 AM

Texas Longhorns wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm able to pick up a wireless internet signal whose user account I don't
> know. Am I legally allowed to do this? If not, is there any way the ISP can
> get back to me? If so, how?
>
> Thanks

IANALY (I am not a lawyer yet) but my understanding is that it is
illegal. They're leaving it open and unsecure, or not lowering the
power to the point that you can't intercept it does not give you
permission to use it.

It is illegal in all 50 states, in some way or another, to connect to
someone elses network.

--Adam
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 19, 2004 2:19:34 AM

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:58:38 GMT, alxdotnet
<alxdotnet.1ec8dm@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:

>Just be respectful...don't leave Bittorrent serving up 700mb cd images
>using up 10s of GBs of upload bandwidth overnight.

Counter question: is there any way to detect when someone is
mooching off your account as described above? I've seen other posts
from people who've discovered unsecured hotspots and wondered...
Emanuel
--
1983 Porsche 911 Guards Red/Black
1983 Porsche 944 Guards Red/Black

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 05:55:19 -0500, "TechMeister"
<campbell@tcworks.net> wrote:

>Id say if they arent using any security then they are voluntarily leaving it
>open for anyone to use, jsut like a public hotspot. The ISP probably wont
>know, your address is hidden from them,, unless they just dig into the
>details. Play DUmb,,,,,,,,,,,, i.e. I thought it was one of those free
>hotspots they keep talking about.
>

>"Texas Longhorns" <roberto_kersevan@libero.it> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I'm able to pick up a wireless internet signal whose user account I don't
>> know. Am I legally allowed to do this? If not, is there any way the ISP
>can
>> get back to me? If so, how?
>>
>> Thanks

Playing dumb is fine, but you should actually *play* dumb and not be
dumb. Using an internet connection that you are not authorized to is
certainly unethical, and in most places is illegal. Leaving your door
unlocked is not a universal invitation to enter and throw a party.

That said, it's pretty safe to assume that the ISP or law enforcement
won't be tracking you down and throwing the bracelets on you any time
soon unless you're doing something horribly illegal like surfing
kiddie-p0rn.
!