Question regarding using wireless account of somebody else

Hi,
I'm able to pick up a wireless internet signal whose user account I don't
know. Am I legally allowed to do this? If not, is there any way the ISP can
get back to me? If so, how?

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about question wireless account else

    Id say if they arent using any security then they are voluntarily leaving it
    open for anyone to use, jsut like a public hotspot. The ISP probably wont
    know, your address is hidden from them,, unless they just dig into the
    details. Play DUmb,,,,,,,,,,,, i.e. I thought it was one of those free
    hotspots they keep talking about.

    "Texas Longhorns" <roberto_kersevan@libero.it> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'm able to pick up a wireless internet signal whose user account I don't
    > know. Am I legally allowed to do this? If not, is there any way the ISP
    can
    > get back to me? If so, how?
    >
    > Thanks

    Just be respectful...don't leave Bittorrent serving up 700mb cd images
    using up 10s of GBs of upload bandwidth overnight.

    --
    alxdotnet

    yea, i know. When I bought a notebook i found 5 wireless connections
    available from my bedroom. I live in an appartment building so i thought it
    was understandable, but in my girlfriend's house I also found few
    connections. Althought very low signal still better then 56k.

    Texas Longhorns wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm able to pick up a wireless internet signal whose user account I don't
    > know. Am I legally allowed to do this? If not, is there any way the ISP can
    > get back to me? If so, how?
    >
    > Thanks

    IANALY (I am not a lawyer yet) but my understanding is that it is
    illegal. They're leaving it open and unsecure, or not lowering the
    power to the point that you can't intercept it does not give you
    permission to use it.

    It is illegal in all 50 states, in some way or another, to connect to
    someone elses network.

    --Adam

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:58:38 GMT, alxdotnet
    <alxdotnet.1ec8dm@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:

    >Just be respectful...don't leave Bittorrent serving up 700mb cd images
    >using up 10s of GBs of upload bandwidth overnight.

    Counter question: is there any way to detect when someone is
    mooching off your account as described above? I've seen other posts
    from people who've discovered unsecured hotspots and wondered...
    Emanuel
    --
    1983 Porsche 911 Guards Red/Black
    1983 Porsche 944 Guards Red/Black

    On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 05:55:19 -0500, "TechMeister"
    <campbell@tcworks.net> wrote:

    >Id say if they arent using any security then they are voluntarily leaving it
    >open for anyone to use, jsut like a public hotspot. The ISP probably wont
    >know, your address is hidden from them,, unless they just dig into the
    >details. Play DUmb,,,,,,,,,,,, i.e. I thought it was one of those free
    >hotspots they keep talking about.
    >

    >"Texas Longhorns" <roberto_kersevan@libero.it> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I'm able to pick up a wireless internet signal whose user account I don't
    >> know. Am I legally allowed to do this? If not, is there any way the ISP
    >can
    >> get back to me? If so, how?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    Playing dumb is fine, but you should actually *play* dumb and not be
    dumb. Using an internet connection that you are not authorized to is
    certainly unethical, and in most places is illegal. Leaving your door
    unlocked is not a universal invitation to enter and throw a party.

    That said, it's pretty safe to assume that the ISP or law enforcement
    won't be tracking you down and throwing the bracelets on you any time
    soon unless you're doing something horribly illegal like surfing
    kiddie-p0rn.

Wireless Internet Service Providers Wireless Internet Wireless Networking