Finding a New Console

ridinon0$

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Kind of a weird question, but I am having trouble figuring out which console I should get.
I have a PS2. I enjoy Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4, SOCOM, Splinter Cell, GTA etc.
I have played Tiger '10 on PS3 and I like everything except the loading times. I found GTA on PS3 cool, but kind of boring...
I also like older games such as Contra and PC games like Age of Mythology. I love Wii games but they seem like they are more group oriented. I loved playing Bond on N64.
I have a 52"LCD and 5.1 so Bluray is tempting in the PS3 vs Xbox debate.

So, having described my basic interests - which console and games would you recommend I look into? Also, any epic PS2 games I may have missed?
Thanks for your input in advance!
John

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
with the new slim/revised versions of both the PS3 and Xbox 360 they're a lot cheaper now so get both!

Personally I'd get the PS3 because it's catching up with the game libraries now, has Blu-Ray, PSN is free and has a longer shelf life than the 360 now that developers are finally making the most of the PS3's ridiculously-complex innards.

ridinon0$

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

Thanks for the reply LePhuronn!
I do want to stick with the PS3, so I am glad you said that.
Based on the games I mentioned, what games would you recommend I get? Or - where would you recommend I read reviews and ratings to find games I will enjoy etc?

ak22

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007

Check out Gamespot & Gametrailers For Reviews.

Check out http://uk.playstation.com/psn/games/ for old school games like contra, also has new great games etc.

You said u liked the Wii well PS3 will have new controller which works like the wii and it works on the new Tiger Woods game.

Based on the games you said I would recommend:
SOCOM: Confrontation
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (few on there)
Tony Hawks (loads on ps3)
GTA IV

Heres my Personal Recommendation: Killzone II, God of War 3, Drakes Uncharted 1 &2, Resistance 1 & 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Wipeout HD, Rachet & Clank, Test Drive Unlimited.

I don't have my PS3 anymore but sure theres newer games out there 2 enjoy.

ridinon0$

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

Thanks for the recommendations on the games! That is exactly what I was looking for!
I bought a few things on ebay to get started. 120gb Slim, extra Sony Controller, Uncharted 2 and GOW III. I will check those games out and probably check out a few of your other suggestions very shortly!

The Sony Move controller sounds pretty neat! I look forward to the release in September!

Anyone know if the load times of Tiger 11 are any better than Tiger 10?

MayDay94

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
i just got the ps3 slim with unchartered2 and it's a blast thus far. the first hour was a little slow but it really picks up once you make it to the jungle. gow3 demo is a blast.

Porter707

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I would recomend the Xbox 360. You can stream Netflix movies, the Arcade downloads include a vast library of games (Including the original Contra), Xbox Live is better then PS3's free PSN (Xbox Live = $60 a year), most games are multi-platform now adays.

Also you can get Blu Ray players for pretty cheap in the $100-$200 price range.

Also they announced in E3 a Goldeneye revamp for the Wii :)