Finding a New Console

Kind of a weird question, but I am having trouble figuring out which console I should get.
I have a PS2. I enjoy Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4, SOCOM, Splinter Cell, GTA etc.
I have played Tiger '10 on PS3 and I like everything except the loading times. I found GTA on PS3 cool, but kind of boring...
I also like older games such as Contra and PC games like Age of Mythology. I love Wii games but they seem like they are more group oriented. I loved playing Bond on N64.
I have a 52"LCD and 5.1 so Bluray is tempting in the PS3 vs Xbox debate.

So, having described my basic interests - which console and games would you recommend I look into? Also, any epic PS2 games I may have missed?
Thanks for your input in advance!
John
7 answers Last reply
More about finding console
  1. with the new slim/revised versions of both the PS3 and Xbox 360 they're a lot cheaper now so get both!

Personally I'd get the PS3 because it's catching up with the game libraries now, has Blu-Ray, PSN is free and has a longer shelf life than the 360 now that developers are finally making the most of the PS3's ridiculously-complex innards.
  2. LePhuronn said:
    with the new slim/revised versions of both the PS3 and Xbox 360 they're a lot cheaper now so get both!

Personally I'd get the PS3 because it's catching up with the game libraries now, has Blu-Ray, PSN is free and has a longer shelf life than the 360 now that developers are finally making the most of the PS3's ridiculously-complex innards.

Thanks for the reply LePhuronn!
    I do want to stick with the PS3, so I am glad you said that.
    Based on the games I mentioned, what games would you recommend I get? Or - where would you recommend I read reviews and ratings to find games I will enjoy etc?
  3. ridinon0$ said:
    Thanks for the reply LePhuronn!
    I do want to stick with the PS3, so I am glad you said that.
    Based on the games I mentioned, what games would you recommend I get? Or - where would you recommend I read reviews and ratings to find games I will enjoy etc?

Check out Gamespot & Gametrailers For Reviews.

Check out http://uk.playstation.com/psn/games/ for old school games like contra, also has new great games etc.

You said u liked the Wii well PS3 will have new controller which works like the wii and it works on the new Tiger Woods game.

Based on the games you said I would recommend:
    SOCOM: Confrontation
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (few on there)
    Tony Hawks (loads on ps3)
    GTA IV

Heres my Personal Recommendation: Killzone II, God of War 3, Drakes Uncharted 1 &2, Resistance 1 & 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Wipeout HD, Rachet & Clank, Test Drive Unlimited.

I don't have my PS3 anymore but sure theres newer games out there 2 enjoy.
  4. ak22 said:
    Check out Gamespot & Gametrailers For Reviews.

Check out http://uk.playstation.com/psn/games/ for old school games like contra, also has new great games etc.

You said u liked the Wii well PS3 will have new controller which works like the wii and it works on the new Tiger Woods game.

Based on the games you said I would recommend:
    SOCOM: Confrontation
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell (few on there)
    Tony Hawks (loads on ps3)
    GTA IV

Heres my Personal Recommendation: Killzone II, God of War 3, Drakes Uncharted 1 &2, Resistance 1 & 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Wipeout HD, Rachet & Clank, Test Drive Unlimited.

I don't have my PS3 anymore but sure theres newer games out there 2 enjoy.

Thanks for the recommendations on the games! That is exactly what I was looking for!
    I bought a few things on ebay to get started. 120gb Slim, extra Sony Controller, Uncharted 2 and GOW III. I will check those games out and probably check out a few of your other suggestions very shortly!

The Sony Move controller sounds pretty neat! I look forward to the release in September!

Anyone know if the load times of Tiger 11 are any better than Tiger 10?
  5. Enjoy there both great games I'm saving up for PS3 atm sold mine before traveled aussie
  6. i just got the ps3 slim with unchartered2 and it's a blast thus far. the first hour was a little slow but it really picks up once you make it to the jungle. gow3 demo is a blast.
  7. I would recomend the Xbox 360. You can stream Netflix movies, the Arcade downloads include a vast library of games (Including the original Contra), Xbox Live is better then PS3's free PSN (Xbox Live = $60 a year), most games are multi-platform now adays.

Also you can get Blu Ray players for pretty cheap in the $100-$200 price range.

Also they announced in E3 a Goldeneye revamp for the Wii :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Console Gaming PlayStation Games Consoles Video Games