[SOLVED] How will fsx run on my system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
hi i have just purchased the an imac my system specs are as follows......

27-inch: 2.7GHz
2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
2560 x 1440 resolution
4GB (two 2GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB

how will some hardcore games run on this system? e.g. FSX, call of duty...

Thanks

Solution
FSX should be good.

I will have to very roughly estimate over 30FPS on low traffic, simple weather, real physics, medium high graphics in city with medium autogen and special building, DX10 with most of the special effect on medium to max.

But again, there is so many settings you can change in FSX, it is really very hard to put a FPS on it.

Don't forget, you need Window for FSX.

And no, I don't think COD is as hard on the hardware as FSX.

By any chance you can have a 1GB 6770m instead of a 512MB. It will help in FSX.
FSX should be good.

I will have to very roughly estimate over 30FPS on low traffic, simple weather, real physics, medium high graphics in city with medium autogen and special building, DX10 with most of the special effect on medium to max.

But again, there is so many settings you can change in FSX, it is really very hard to put a FPS on it.

Don't forget, you need Window for FSX.

And no, I don't think COD is as hard on the hardware as FSX.

By any chance you can have a 1GB 6770m instead of a 512MB. It will help in FSX.

Solution

Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
thanks very much for advice nah unfortunately it's the 512 version only had the thing 2 days and think am gonna upgrade the graphics card.... there's the next question sorry for my lack of knowledge but is this possible with the imac?...... thanks again

You are very limited or even impossible on graphics upgrade since it is a laptop graphic card you have there. I am not even sure if it was MXM or not.

If it is MXM, there is still some hope for upgrade, but if it isn't then you are stuck to it.

You have to ask Apple about it.

I don't think you can just upgrade to any hardware on a Mac due to limited driver support and recognition of hardware by Apple's mobo.

Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I know a memory upgrade is very straight forward (RAM) however no idea on graphics card....... i will take it up with apple see what they advise..... as there is alot of graphics cards out there where would you put mine on a scale from 1 to 10 as performance (Graphics Card).... thanks

For laptop graphics, I would say it is a high mid-range. A 7/10 compared with laptop with one discrete graphics card (no CF/SLI).

You may say that this is an unfair comparison. But since you use it on a desktop, I have to put it against other desktop GPU as well.

I give it a 2.5/10 for desktop with one discrete graphics card (no CF/SLI).

Status
Not open for further replies.