Quick Memory Question

I have p4 3.2 with 512 mem and a radeon x600 pro . Question would I see
much of a diff going to 1 gig in memory?

Thanks in Advance

Caesar

On 10/8/2004 8:46 AM caesar brightened our day with:

>I have p4 3.2 with 512 mem and a radeon x600 pro . Question would I see
>much of a diff going to 1 gig in memory?
>
>Thanks in Advance
>
>Caesar

Probably not a lot in Doom 3, but you just gots to have a gig of RAM
these days. I upgraded to 1 Gb a month before Doom 3 came out, mostly
for Far Cry and UT2004, and I've no regrets.

Is that X600 Pro a PCI-E card? From what I've read they're not much
faster than the 9600 series AGP cards, what do you think? Is it
disappointing? Did you get it for a decent price?

--
"Coming soon: Meatspace spyware, little men who live in your cupboards and watch what you eat and then try to sell you timeshares in Toronto."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 15:46:21 GMT, caesar <caesar@charter.net> wrote:
> I have p4 3.2 with 512 mem and a radeon x600 pro . Question would I see
> much of a diff going to 1 gig in memory?

Probably not much difference in actual game play (unless the game requires
it), but with some, like Doom3 you can enable an image cache, and larger
disk cache in RAM will reload levels quicker.

David Efflandt wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 15:46:21 GMT, caesar <caesar@charter.net> wrote:
>
>>I have p4 3.2 with 512 mem and a radeon x600 pro . Question would I see
>>much of a diff going to 1 gig in memory?
>

> Probably not much difference in actual game play (unless the game requires
> it), but with some, like Doom3 you can enable an image cache, and larger
> disk cache in RAM will reload levels quicker.
Deffenetly yes sorry my spelling,from Denmark(Europe)
While Your at it,make it 2G to start with to take advantage of
dual memory now I saw what you CPU were,got one 3.2 with(only)
370 Mhz HyperX ram 2G and it´s a dream having it.(Had it)
Bought meself an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ were 3 of the blocks are used
And it´s 10 times more powerfull than an (yes sorry I must say so)32 Bit
My next computer will be an AMD FX 55~ with 4G onboard(Don't forget RAID
and make it S-ATA,a PCI controller if neaded)
You'd be surprised
www.webfactor.dk

"webfactor" <webfactor@post.tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message
> David Efflandt wrote:
>> On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 15:46:21 GMT, caesar <caesar@charter.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I have p4 3.2 with 512 mem and a radeon x600 pro . Question would I see
>>>much of a diff going to 1 gig in memory?
>>

>> Probably not much difference in actual game play (unless the game
>> requires it), but with some, like Doom3 you can enable an image cache,
>> and larger disk cache in RAM will reload levels quicker.
> Deffenetly yes sorry my spelling,from Denmark(Europe)
> While Your at it,make it 2G to start with to take advantage of
> dual memory now I saw what you CPU were,got one 3.2 with(only)
> 370 Mhz HyperX ram 2G and it´s a dream having it.(Had it)
> Bought meself an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ were 3 of the blocks are used
> And it´s 10 times more powerfull than an (yes sorry I must say so)32 Bit
> My next computer will be an AMD FX 55~ with 4G onboard(Don't forget RAID
> and make it S-ATA,a PCI controller if neaded)
> You'd be surprised
> www.webfactor.dk

More memory gives a diminishing return, that is each time you double your
memory the effect is less dramatic, up to the point where I suspect if you
went from 1GB to 2GB you would notice almost no difference, unless you are
using some specific tasks that require huge amounts of memory.

I went from 512MB to 1GB, and did notice a slight improvement in smoothness,
but nothing major.
I would consider myself an average user, WinXP SP2, 1GB DDR 400 SDRAM (Dual
Data Channel enabled), AMD 2500+, Abit NF7-s V2 motherboard, ATI Radeon 9800
Pro 128MB.

I did run some benchmarks and IIRC there was virtually no difference in
performance.
YMMV as they say.