Sign in with
Your question

Bandwidth Issue (bad company and skype)

Last response: in Video Games
June 25, 2010 11:27:02 PM

Hey all,

I'm having an issue when I play Bad Company 2 and talk to my friends playing with me on Skype, where it has continuous lag, not a lot but enough where it makes playing more difficult and if another player and I see each other at the same time, I will always die first. I know its a bandwidth issue because if I play alone or if the call ends, the lag stops and normal play resumes.

So I was wondering if anyone knows a program like Skype that uses less bandwidth or if Skype uses the least. Also if Skype is the best, is there someway to lower the amount it uses or something along those lines.

Thanks for any advice.
June 26, 2010 2:16:40 PM

Still might not help, what speed is your internet? If you are running Skype or Ventrillo plus playing game online I would suggest a MINIMUM of a 5Mb connection. Where I am to play BFBC2 and run Ventrillo we are running 7Mb and no lag. I run 30Mb connection speed. So if you have 3Mb or lower, expect some lag, even without Skype/Ventrillo. Make sure you have decent ISP speed, and try Ventrillo, I noticed it's not as bad as Skype for system resources, but for gaming I can't tell you if one uses more Bandwidth then other as I only use Ventrillo.
m
l
June 27, 2010 5:57:50 PM

Well I have a 130 mb connection, but I use a D-link wireless n router and I have been having troubles with the receiver for it (cant think of the proper term for it right now) so I think I will try playing on my laptop and see what happens.
m
l
Related resources
June 28, 2010 2:29:35 PM

Howdy,

Does the PC you play BC2 and use Skype connect via Wireless? If it does can you try testing with a wired connection to your router and see if that works any better?

Also Skype is a more bandwidth intensive application than Ventrilo. Ventrilo works as client-server where your machine connects to the Voice server most of the data and voice processing is done on the server. Skype on the other hand is Peer to Peer and as such if you are the one initiating a call or conference call with multiple friends it is going to be your PC and Internet connection that is handling data/voice for you and however many people are connected to your Skype call.

Have you tried this with only one person on your skype call to see if the issue arises? If possible test with a voice server like teamspeak or ventrilo and see if the same issue happens.
m
l
June 28, 2010 8:16:37 PM

Why Skype? Its not the most...optimized VoIP program out there...

Ventrillo/Teamspeak3 are the ways to go for VoIP while gaming. [TS3 for security, Ventrillo for lightweight client]
m
l
June 29, 2010 4:56:50 PM

Oh ok, thanks for that info that was what I was looking for, I havent been able to play yet but when I do Ill try with just one friend and see how it goes, if its still bad I will try ventrillo out. The reason I use skype is because we use it just like other people use AIM or MSN messenger so it just made sense.

Well a wired connection would be tricky for the desktop and I still havent intalled BC2 on my laptop but I will get back to you folks when I try out all of these ideas.
m
l
!