nForce 4

RichPLS

Champion
<A HREF="http://www20.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20041020/index.html" target="_new"> Does this nForce 4 support socket 754/939 on same board? </A>
Looks like some awesome featurs, what is price ranges?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
As far as I know, ALL Socket 939 chipsets also support Socket 754. Minor modifications are needed to change a board design from one socket to the other.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
Can you put a 754 processor in a 939 socket?
Do you use an adapter?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
From what I've read, 754 & 939 are similar, that is the chipset supports either, but the sockets aren't even close to compatible. if the board has a 939 socket, you put a 939 cpu in, can't use a 754 cpu, and vice-versa. No adapters that I know of (but I didn't look for them).

Someone could probably make a board with both 754 & 939 sockets if they wanted to... might be an interesting exercise.

Mike.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It should be possible to produce such an adapter, but I'm not sure if that adapter would need some type of logic unit.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
Look at this <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-157-035&depa=1" target="_new">ugly thing</A>. I'm not recommending or endorsing it, just pointing it out.

RichPLS

Champion
What are the cons for it?

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
I'd say the cons are that it isn't very feature-rich, it's huge, and it lacks expansion. Here's an <A HREF="http://www.ocworkbench.com/2004/asrock/k8 combo-z/g1.htm" target="_new">ocworkbench review</A>.

RichPLS

Champion
I did't see anything awefull in that reveiw.
Looks like a good upgrade solution, if you want to use current chip and memory.
I would buy better if starting from scratch, but otherwise, not bad huh.

RichPLS

Champion
I did't see anything awefull in that reveiw.
Looks like a good upgrade solution, if you want to use current chip and memory.
I would buy better if starting from scratch, but otherwise, not bad huh.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
I'm actualy curious about it, ALI chipsets were not known to be verry good but the reviews are rating it pretty good.

further more, prices on the ASROCK board are low and it has all the basic features you need in your average home PC.

Has anyone experienced with it?

I'll start a thread on that!