  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2004 12:03:45 AM

I have an Athlon 2300+ with 512 megs of RAM (soon to be a gig).

What is the cheapest video card I can get to play Doom 3 with all the
effects turned on and at a decent frame rate?

More about : choosing video card

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2004 2:09:31 AM

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 20:03:45 GMT, "Bootstrap Bill"
<wrcousert@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have an Athlon 2300+ with 512 megs of RAM (soon to be a gig).
>
>What is the cheapest video card I can get to play Doom 3 with all the
>effects turned on and at a decent frame rate?

I had a Geforce FX 5600 and got 18 FPS during the demo.

I bought a Geforce 6800 GT OC ($500+$100 power supply) and I got 60
FPS.

I played nightmare level with both cards and completed both. The
slower FPS makes it harder and changed my strategy during the game,
but, I still completed it.

The 6800 yields extraordinary graphics and smooth gameplay. I bought
it for this game but also for the games to come. I think the Doom 3
engine is going to be the new standard for all developers which means
heavy use of the Graphics Video card. Now to answer your question
with a question;

What do you mean, with all the effects? I used the Nvidia control
panel and drove my FPS down from 60 to 6. I assume you don't want to
dodge an imp at 6 FPS. His frozen grin would be on the screen way too
long. Decent Frame rate? For me I ran at 1600x1200 high quality (not
ultra quality) and got 40FPS during the demo (combat). I was happy as
a clam. You don't say if you already have the game or what video card
you have currently. If you can, play the game and see if it plays at
a 'decent frame rate'. If not, Doom 3 seems to be most sensitive to
GPU speed and mostly the amount of memory in the video card.

No easy answer to your question.

PS: when I payed $600 for the card/power supply, I knew the next
salvo (probably from ATI) will be 512MB. My decision was to get the
best available card now and play it as much as possible rather than
wait. Your decision might be different.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 9, 2004 3:38:37 AM

"Bootstrap Bill" <wrcousert@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have an Athlon 2300+ with 512 megs of RAM (soon to be a gig).
>
> What is the cheapest video card I can get to play Doom 3 with all the
> effects turned on and at a decent frame rate?

New? Likely a Radeon 9800 Pro 128 meg.
!