MainBoard with both AGP & PCI-E?

davood3d

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004
HI guys
do you know will MainBoard be anounced that supports both AGP 8x & PCI-Express in future?(for AMD or intel)

i want to upgrade my system to new one in next summer.
my current system:
AMD XP 1600+
Asus a7v133(VIA KT133A)
512 MB ram SD
Geforce FX 5700 AGP

& im going to change CPU, RAM & mainboard in next year & not change my
Video Card and want to save my money.

because it's suitable for loading games at least 2years.
but PCI-Express is being extended & ATI , Nvidia are building their
product in PCI-Express & not agp 8x.

what is your suggestion for upgrading my PC in next year & what about
Graphic card?(change or stay or ....)

thanks

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Elitegroup (ECS) just announced a motherboard that offers AGP and PCI Express.

The AGP Express as they call it is actually set up on the PCI bus, so its not blazing fast, but if you are looking for a motherboard that has both, and want to upgrade to a PCI Express video card in the near future with upgrading your motherboard again, it might be worth a look.

<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20041027/index.html" target="_new">Here</A> is a review that Toms Hardware did.

Not sure what the availability is yet though.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
:redface: <font color=red>My wife says I suffer from premature ejaculation...I don't remember suffering<font color=red> :wink:

davood3d

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004
thanks for you link.
this Mainboard is compatible with Intel CPUs.

in future, will mainboard that supports both agp & PCI_E for AMD Athlon64 be made ?

thanks

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
That I'm not sure about. But if there is one for Intel CPUs, I don't see any reason why there wouldn't be one for AMD CPUs eventually.

I guess it all depends on whether manufactures think it would be a big enough market to produce boards for. And I'm not sure if it is. That will depend on the price/availability of PCI-Express graphics cards.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
:redface: <font color=red>My wife says I suffer from premature ejaculation...I don't remember suffering<font color=red> :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are no boards that support AGP8x and PCI-Express. PCI runs at 1/2 AGP1x speed, so happy hunting!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>