Your question

Biostar mobo question

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Chipsets
  • Biostar
Last response: in Motherboards
October 28, 2004 8:15:31 PM

I am on a limited budget, and have posted a couple of times on which motherboard to get. It was most recently between the Asus K8NE Deluxe and LAN Party UT (both based on the nForce 3 250 Gb chipset). I was leaning toward the latter, but as I add up the prices they are sending me a little overbudget. Then, I see the Biostar K8NHA, which is also the same chipset and the other favorable fearures like Firewall and Gigabit LAN. Problem is, I haven't seen any product reviews. Has anyone had any experience with Biostar products or even with this specific board. I don't intend to overclock, and the price is quite nice at Newegg. Other board from Biostar with different chipsets have met with average reviews. But that cannot always be generalized to a differnt piece of hardware.

Thanks,

Brandt

More about : biostar mobo question

October 28, 2004 8:34:14 PM

I have never owned or worked on a Biostar, but I have read many posts on this forum saying avoiod Biostar.

<font color=red><b>NF7-S/MBarton 2500+
210x11.5 1.82v SP-97
GB Corsair XMS PC3200
BBA 9800 Pro 423/369</font color=red><font color=black>
NF7-S/MBarton 2600+
210x11.5 1.76v
512MB CVR PC3200
Sapphire 9500@9700
October 29, 2004 2:27:56 AM

I just finished building a PC using a Barebones kit from Tigerdirect that included the MB, PSU and case. I bought the CPU, GPU, ram and drives from Newegg. I had some problems getting the sound to work on this Biostar MB(dif than yours)and support really sucks. I finally did get it to work, but I'm not sure why. I'm getting ready to build another PC and I won't go that route again. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
October 29, 2004 2:16:49 PM

You've all convinced me. No Biostar. As luck would have it the Soltek board just went down $10 in price. Even though there's no firewire I think I may go for it. Anandtech gave it high marks.
October 29, 2004 7:05:19 PM

I have the Soltek and very pleased with it. Should be much better than the Biostar.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
November 1, 2004 9:27:02 PM

I currently own a NF2 Biostar board and I'm totally satisfied. It has served me well for over a year now. it will be replaced soon I hope when WinXP 64bit will be available.

All onboard features delivered the expected functionality.
November 2, 2004 1:44:17 PM

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I wound up going with the LAN Party based on the nForce 3 250 Gb chipset. Newegg lowered the price by $20. It had the Firewire while the Soltek didn't. So I figured I either pay for that feature now or later. I will likely post a riveting thread about my adventures in building that system from scratch. This will be followed by multiple technical questions to be sure :) 
November 2, 2004 11:23:54 PM

I know a fellow that has a small local computer shop. He repairs low-end to med computers and sets up small business networking, etc. Anyway, I've heard him comment that he prefers Biostar boards primarily for their stability, ease of setup, and customer service.
!