Linksys WRT54G issue

Jim

Hi!

Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue:

I lose my wired ethernet connection to my WRT54G version 2.0 after
about 10 seconds. The router has been working fine for about 6
months. One night I had trouble getting out to the Internet. I could
not ping my default gateway. After rebooting the router, I was able to
ping my d/g for about 10 seconds, after which I started getting a
"Request Timed Out". I reset my router to factory defaults and even
upgraded to latest firmware, and I still have the same problem. I
have no problem connecting to the Internet when directly connected to
my cable modem. Is this typical of the WRT54G? Are there any other
stable Wireless routers anyone else can recommend or was I just
unlucky with this one router?

TIA
Jim

I had a wired router along with the 54G Wireless Access Point and matching
54G PC card for my laptop. The laptop would lose its association with the
WAP and would take 5 to 10 seconds to connect to the net. Seems like after
2 or 3 minutes of non-activity I would always have to wait for my system to
"shake hands" with my connection. And every so often, probably 5 or 6 times
in about 6 weeks, my wired router would reset itself. BIG pain in the
butt!!!

Couldn't deal with any of that from a business standpoint, so I switched to
a Netgear 108mps WGT624 wireless router with a WG511T PC Card setup and it's
working great. No waiting for the connection and my wireless range
increased by about 75 feet. I can't say enough about this new equipment, I
HIGHLY recommend Netgear.

Good luck,

- Tom C.

friedcalamari2003@yahoo.com (Jim) wrote in

> Hi!
>
> Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue:
>
> I lose my wired ethernet connection to my WRT54G version 2.0 after
> about 10 seconds. The router has been working fine for about 6
> months. One night I had trouble getting out to the Internet. I could
> not ping my default gateway. After rebooting the router, I was able to
> ping my d/g for about 10 seconds, after which I started getting a
> "Request Timed Out". I reset my router to factory defaults and even
> upgraded to latest firmware, and I still have the same problem. I
> have no problem connecting to the Internet when directly connected to
> my cable modem. Is this typical of the WRT54G? Are there any other
> stable Wireless routers anyone else can recommend or was I just
> unlucky with this one router?
>
> TIA
> Jim

Well, did you protect the router propely by using a UPS/AVR system?

Duane :)

I have a linksys wrt54g, using the latest firmware and all is OK.
Never a problem.

could it be the isp your having rouble with? i move to a diffrent place with
my router working fine. i just got a diffrent modem and bitched at the cable
company
"Jim" <friedcalamari2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue:
>
> I lose my wired ethernet connection to my WRT54G version 2.0 after
> about 10 seconds. The router has been working fine for about 6
> months. One night I had trouble getting out to the Internet. I could
> not ping my default gateway. After rebooting the router, I was able to
> ping my d/g for about 10 seconds, after which I started getting a
> "Request Timed Out". I reset my router to factory defaults and even
> upgraded to latest firmware, and I still have the same problem. I
> have no problem connecting to the Internet when directly connected to
> my cable modem. Is this typical of the WRT54G? Are there any other
> stable Wireless routers anyone else can recommend or was I just
> unlucky with this one router?
>
> TIA
> Jim

I posted with the same problem almost.....If you are running WinXP,
Stop Windows Wireless Zero Configuration(turning off and disable it
in Services) , then manually configure you adapter with your SSID and
WEP key. Hope this helps...Do you have any cordless phones that run in
the 2.4 Ghz spectrum?? These can be a problem as well.