grumpydad

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2004
Have been experiencing system restarts when running at 166 FSB with memory running at 333. This occurs in some games and also when running 3D Mark 03 (often during the CPU test). I have recently upgraded from cheap DDR 3200 to the Corsair mentioned below. I had hoped that this would fix the problem but is has not!

Any ideas what do do next – I was considering a change of mother board or even CPU!

Leadtek K7nCR18D Pro; Athlon XP 2800+; Corsair TWINX 1024-3200 C2; Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro 128 Mb

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It could be a number of issues including power supply problems.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wow, you don't hear much about Leadtek mainboards! However, it looks like a decent board, and it should have no problem working the memory at 166.

I assume from your post it runs OK at lower bus speeds? 'Course that slows the whole system down, so as Crash says, it could be a lot of things..

So a couple of things to try; Go into BIOS and select "Optimized Defaults" just to eliminate having any settings causing problems. If you got the memory settings tweaked, it's pretty easy to mess up stability. So go back to the defaults.

Also, check the CPU temp to make sure it is reasonable (below 50c). You can look in the BIOS or download a program like Motherboard Monitor.

Also, how strong is your power supply? Does the label on your PSU list the 3.3v and 5v rails as having someting in the range of 28 amps each? If not, you may just need a stronger PSU.

Finally, I'm not sure what OS you're running, but it could also be a software issue...check all your drivers. How long since you've done a clean reload?

Good luck!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!