Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I can't see why they wouldn't be, since the reverse seems to often be true (putting a 64-bit card in a 32-bit slot with the extra contacts hanging out forcing 32-bit mode).

Just a word of encouragement until someone else with more specific knowledge speaks up.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
That's what I figured. I have an Adaptec 2120S hanging out of a 32 bit PCI slot now and it works fine. Do you think if I put it into a 64 bit, 133MHz PCI-X slot I would see much improvement?

You've tried and failed. The lesson here is, never try again. -- Homer Simpson.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Do those slots have auto-speed? Does your card support 133MHz?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
*blank stare*
*mouth open*
*drooling*

I don't know what auto-speed is or does other than when talking about ethernet cards. I'm not sure if it supports 133MHz. <A HREF="http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=ASR-2120S&cat=/Technology/RAID/Ultra320" target="_new">Here's</A> a link to Adaptec's site.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
d00d, I'm asking basic questions, you're supposed to look up the professional answers. Remember this is outside my realm!

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Well, after digging around the Adaptec site I found <A HREF="http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/techspecs.jsp?sess=no&language=English+US&cat=/Product/ASR-2120S&prodkey=ASR-2120S" target="_new">this page</A> which states that bus type is 64 bit/66 MHz so I'm thinking PCI-X 133 is overkill. Nothing about auto-speed though.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
"auto speed" is just a way I expressed a concept: I was asking whether any cards or slots were capable of switching depending on the interface used.

Obviously your card is capable of 33MHz and 66MHz PCI/PCI-X, it looks like 133MHz slots won't work unless they can detect slower cards and self-adjust.

Now you'll probably try to look up self-adjust, lol.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There IS no wrong way, there's only the right way and the French way!

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Oh good. I was wondering if we were still hating the French or not.