PC Virtualization

I'm looking for some advice. I'm running windows 7 ultimate x64 on a quad core 8 GB workstation. I would like to run some type of virtualization software for MCITP study that would allow me to run server 2008, exchange 2010 and a couple of workstations. The only software I found that runs on my OS seems to be VMware Desktop but I'm leary of the $200 price tag. A few of the techs I work with are telling me to buy another system and install server 2008 and run hyper V. I would prefer not to buy new hardware if I can get around it. Thanks..
5 answers Last reply
More about virtualization
  1. VMware Player is free, and the latest version can create VM images as well. Guest OS support should be the same for the free version as it is for Workstation.
  2. I don't think there is a free virtiulization program for Windows 7 you can use to install Server on. But the older Virtual PC 2007 does work with Server 2008 as the guest OS, but it needs Vista or older.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/josebda/archive/2007/08/05/testing-windows-server-2008-using-virtual-pc-step-by-step.aspx
  3. Server 2008 works just fine on VMWare Player or VirtualBox.
  4. VMWare Player is great in that it will allow you to install the 32 or 64-bit versions of the OS.

I use it to run Server 2008 64-bit for Sharepoint development.
  5. Thanks for help. I'll load up VMWare Player this weekend.
Ask a new question

Read More

Workstations Virtualization Windows 7