Sign in with
Your question

What can I expect from this laptop

Last response: in Video Games
June 28, 2010 7:29:31 PM

Hey
My dad got a new laptop through some deal for almost nothing (about $100) and he decided to give it to me (yay!). Now I realize this is a very basic laptop with integrated graphics so it'll probably run new games like crap (it's OK I have an Xbox 360), but I want to know what can I expect overall.
More importantly i'd like to know if it will be able to run Civilization IV and Guild Wars well.
And maybe know how will it handle their future sequels (Civ 5 and Guild Wars 2) although I imagine it probably won't be able to run them.

These are the specs:

Toshiba Satellite C650
Intel Pentium Dual Core T4500 @ 2.3GHz
RAM: 3GB DDR3 1066MHz
HD: 320GB @ 5400RPM
Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

For reference, this is the computer I currently have (very old, from 2004):

AMD Athlon XP 2800
RAM: 512MB
HD: 60GB
nVidia GeForceFX 5700 LE
Windows XP

I imagine the laptop will have better performance right? Even though it doesn't have the dedicated graphics card.

So what kind of performance can I expect from this laptop?

Thanks in advance :) 

More about : expect laptop

June 28, 2010 9:31:26 PM

Why not look up the minimum system requirements for the games & compare them to the laptop's specs?
If they are just about satisfied, you could run those games at low settings, etc
m
l
June 29, 2010 2:25:54 AM

That laptop would not be very good for gaming. You need better graphics if you want to use it for gaming. If you go to Newegg and look up laptops there; there is an option for "Graphic Type" and for that you need to select "Dedicated". You also should make sure your old computer has it's RAM maxed out so you can get the most out of it. Maybe even install Linux on it and just use it for surfing the web and other light tasks.
m
l
Related resources
a c 439 D Laptop
June 29, 2010 5:54:44 AM

You should be able to play CIV 4. It's a slightly older game. It only requires DX 7 to run, but DX 8 is recommended. The GMA 4500M is DX 9 (I don't think it supports DX 10).

Not sure of the requirements for CIV 5, but I think you should be able to run it. These types of games are more limited by the CPU than the video card.

m
l
July 3, 2010 4:25:56 AM

Well me, being a laptop gamer... I wouldnt look forward to gaming on any type of GMA chipset. Jaguar is right, the GMA 4500M does not support Dx10 and that is what newer games will be running i.e. expansion packs. I am actually tempted to say that your older laptop will be better at gaming if you upgraded the RAM. Other than gaming, the new laptop is very nice for everything else...
m
l
!