On-board RAID array degradation

Squidmaster

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2002
I posted this in the hard drive forum, but figured it pertains just enough to my motherboard that it could go here as well...

I booted up my computer about 10 minutes ago, received a flashing red "degraded" message in bios for my RAID 1 array, then snapped <A HREF="http://www.themosmillers.org/Andy/RAID-error.jpg" target="_new">this screenshot</A> before posting here.

The trick is, this is the second time overall that I've had this occur, the first being in June or so. I never truly solved the problem the first time, but the array eventually rebuilt itself in Windows after about 10 or 20 attempts. I came out of that with a registry error that's still with me to this day (I have health problems and don't have the energy to redo all of this, especially if it's prone to recurrence anyway.)

I don't have any reason to believe the drives themselves are flawed, but I don't know absolutely I suppose. I'm running an XP system using the built-in serial RAID on my VNF3-250 motherboard with identical WD 80 gig drives (4 partitions on the one virtual RAID drive.)

My RAID experience consists of reading this FAQ, installing these drives while building the system, and reading a few posts here and there. If there's an easy fix to this problem I'd absolutely love to hear it. Even if there isn't, I need to get to the bottom of this so I can stabilize my system once and for all.

<font color=purple> Do <i> you </i> have a chicken hat? </font color=purple>

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
Raid 0 is not worth it.

Signature (up to 200 characters). You may use <font color=blue><b>Markup</b></font color=blue> in your signature<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by coylter on 11/01/04 11:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS