ASUS board forces my system to reboot

jwalkabout

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
I just installed an Asus A7NAX.

The minute I get past the hardware detection sequence and past the black windows bootup screen, Windows XP loads and I get a blue error screen and the system reboots. The erro message flashes too fast for me to see the message.

I have tried to boot up 3 different HD's formatted with XP and i get the same result, which leads me to beleive that ther is a problem with the BIOS or something affected by the motherboard.

Is there any solution before I call tech support ASUS in tawain?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Did you uninstall the mobo drivers before shutting down to replace the mobo? Different mobos (especially different chipsets, but even same chipset different mfg) use very different drivers and can cause just this problem.

If you can't reinstall the old mobo and remove all the chipset drivers from the control panel thingy (forget it's name - using an old Win98 pc atm so can't check) and immediately shut down, then a reinstall of xp is the only option I know of, and it's probably the safest option anyways.

You can also change your boot options so that it doesn't automatically reboot and you can actually see the error message. That's in the system information or system properties dialog.

Mike.

PS: Just thought of something - try booting up in safe mode and removing the chipset drivers there. Maybe that will work.

jwalkabout

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Thanx. I re-installed WinXP and it worked fine. It needed to be done anyway since it was 9 months since the previous installation.