P4 3.6GHz "Prescott" cooling issues

CharlieR

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2004
Upon deciding to build a new system I chose the ASUS P5AD2 Premium, along with Corsair DDR2 XMS2, an Enermax 600W "Noisetaker" power supply, and a P4 775 560 "Prescott" processor. I've not been able to install XP Pro because the system shuts down due to overheating during the install - the system idles at 65 degrees C. Following Intel's advice, I purchased a new case and the problem persists. Intel is now shipping me a new P4. After removing the questionable processor, upon close examination of the motherboard, I found a pin missing in the ASUS motherboards’ processor socket. ASUS tech support reviewed my situation and stated it was not anything I'd done and suggested I go back to the vendor I'd bought it from since it was still in the first 30 days following the purchase. AJUMP.COM REFUSED TO EXCHANGE THE BOARD STATING I HAD DAMAGED IT.

As for as the board goes - I believe it to be a great choice offering the best in expansion capabilities. I took months deciding upon my components. I've found ASUS tech support to be excellent. Corsair was also excellent in helping me with the correct settings for their memory.

AVOID AJUMP.COM - THEY WILL IGNORE YOU IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG AND LEAVE YOU WITH DAMAGED GOODS!

CharlieR
Austin, TX