Fallout 3 and Dawn of War 2 Problems

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Hey im having a few problems with a couple of my games.

Firstly, Fallout 3.
When I run the game I run it in max settings at 1280x1024 resolution and it will show up in that resolution for about 2 seconds then the graphics quality suddenly becomes appalling. The menus are really fuzzy and the in game textures are just as bad.
The weird thing though is that I can play the game perfectly fine on my brother's login?

Secondly, Dawn of War 2.
We had a power surge several months ago and my computer was fried from it. About two months ago I got my computer fixed and at first I was able to play Dawn of War 2 perfectly fine on high settings at 1280x1024 resolution, then about a month after I got the computer back the same thing happened to DoW2 as did Fallout 3. Then about a week ago when i tried playing DoW2 I wasnt able to play it at all (the game would automatically come up with a crash report error as soon as I tried launching the game).

So today I upgraded my PSU from a 350W with 16A on the 12V rail to a 470W with 2 18A 12V rails as this seemed the most obvious way to fix this sort of thing but I'm still getting the same problems...
I'm certain now though that it isnt a hardware problem seeing I could play Fallout 3 on my brothers login without trouble. (I havnt tried Dow2 on his login)

So does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be? any help would be greatly appreciated :)

By the way, heres my specs:
- AMD Athlon II X2 250 CPU
- 2GB DDR2 800 RAM
- Gigabyte Radeon HD 5750
- 470W PSU

isamuelson

Distinguished
Since it works fine on your brother's login on the same machine, I would assume something is corrupted in your profile. Maybe your configuration for the games got hosed by the power surge? Backup your save game data and then wipe them out and see if playing from fresh solves the problem.

RealityClash

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
I know its been quite a while since I originally but Ive tried re-installing the game and Ive also installed chaos rising on DoW 2 and im still getting the same problems so its obviously not corrupt files. Any other ideas?