My homebrew dongle reflector antenna extends laptop range,..

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
October 18, 2004 11:59:06 PM

After seeing the freeantennas for wireless Internet to extend the
router's range, I tried a quick and dirty homebrew reflector using an
auto oil funnel (soft cardboaard) and affixing half of its side with
foil aluminum. Well, my marginal signal (was almost non-existent at
night, for some reason) is now "Very Good" according to the [usually
overly optimistic] X-Micro's 11b software.

However, I noticed that the angle and placement of the reflector and
the USB dongle (hope that's the right term for the transmitter on the
laptop) is very critical. Off by one inch, and there is no signal.

If there is a contest for making the most practical, cheapest dongle
antenna, this is my entry. The advantage of a soft cup is its
flexibility, portability. I am going to cancel my thoughts of buying a
ready-made antenna.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 19, 2004 9:07:29 AM

OK. for your contest for "making the most practical, cheapest dongle
antenna"
this is my entry, my tin cantenna:
http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/Documents/Tin%20Can...
--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com
"Jack Blake" <smogkiller2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> After seeing the freeantennas for wireless Internet to extend the
> router's range, I tried a quick and dirty homebrew reflector using an
> auto oil funnel (soft cardboaard) and affixing half of its side with
> foil aluminum. Well, my marginal signal (was almost non-existent at
> night, for some reason) is now "Very Good" according to the [usually
> overly optimistic] X-Micro's 11b software.
>
> However, I noticed that the angle and placement of the reflector and
> the USB dongle (hope that's the right term for the transmitter on the
> laptop) is very critical. Off by one inch, and there is no signal.
>
> If there is a contest for making the most practical, cheapest dongle
> antenna, this is my entry. The advantage of a soft cup is its
> flexibility, portability. I am going to cancel my thoughts of buying a
> ready-made antenna.

---
a b D Laptop
October 19, 2004 1:42:44 PM

Alston's cantenna requires a USB extension cable while Smogkiller's
simply covers the dongle on the laptop. The cantenna may get more
range because it can be positioned better.

"Bob Alston" <bobalston9NOSPAM@aol.com> wrote in message news:<tH5dd.91113$Lo6.13079@fed1read03>...
> OK. for your contest for "making the most practical, cheapest dongle
> antenna"
> this is my entry, my tin cantenna:
> http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/Documents/Tin%20Can...
> --
> Bob Alston
>
> bobalston9 AT aol DOT com
> "Jack Blake" <smogkiller2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > After seeing the freeantennas for wireless Internet to extend the
> > router's range, I tried a quick and dirty homebrew reflector using an
> > auto oil funnel (soft cardboaard) and affixing half of its side with
> > foil aluminum. Well, my marginal signal (was almost non-existent at
> > night, for some reason) is now "Very Good" according to the [usually
> > overly optimistic] X-Micro's 11b software.
> >
> > However, I noticed that the angle and placement of the reflector and
> > the USB dongle (hope that's the right term for the transmitter on the
> > laptop) is very critical. Off by one inch, and there is no signal.
> >
> > If there is a contest for making the most practical, cheapest dongle
> > antenna, this is my entry. The advantage of a soft cup is its
> > flexibility, portability. I am going to cancel my thoughts of buying a
> > ready-made antenna.
>

> ---
a b D Laptop
October 19, 2004 9:17:48 PM

Bob Alston <bobalston9NOSPAM@aol.com> wrote:
> OK. for your contest for "making the most practical, cheapest dongle
> antenna"
> this is my entry, my tin cantenna:
> http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/Documents/Tin%20Can...
> --
> Bob Alston

A picture of Bob's is at:
http://members.cox.net/tulsaalstons/images/IMG_1571.JPG
I presume that Bob's looks like mine. An internal view of mine:
http://www.rahul.net/dold/clarence/usb-can/im000742-800...
And the folks that got me interested in USB dongle reflectors:
http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/

---
a b D Laptop
October 19, 2004 9:29:46 PM

Jack Blake <smogkiller2004@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Alston's cantenna requires a USB extension cable while Smogkiller's
> simply covers the dongle on the laptop. The cantenna may get more
> range because it can be positioned better.

A USB cable comes with the dongle, so there's no added cost there.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 20, 2004 6:18:40 AM

USB adaptor on a length of a cable is always preferable to a dongle, often
placing it high works well, and yes, half an inch can make a difference.
Regards,
Martin
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 20, 2004 3:49:49 PM

Yes, but a USB dongle on a length of USB cable may work just as well and be
quite a bit cheaper.

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com
"MartinĀ²" <never@give.one> wrote in message
> USB adaptor on a length of a cable is always preferable to a dongle, often
> placing it high works well, and yes, half an inch can make a difference.
> Regards,
> Martin

---