Archived from groups: alt.games.doom,rec.sport.pro-wrestling (More info?)

HomeLan Fed chatted with screenwriter Dave Callaham the other day. The
26-year-old Callaham has the unenviable task of turning one of the most
famous video games of all time into a working movie (something the
game-to-film genre has yet to fully accomplish) even though this will be his
first produced movie script.
Here's some excerpts:

"In developing the Doom script, Callaham said that the games themselves
helped in terms of the visuals that he wanted to put in. However, he said,
In terms of character development it is non-existent (in the games) and the
id guys are the first to admit that. Callaham said that in his meetings with
the id Software team they were very supportive and open with his ideas on
changing the Doom mythology and allowing for real characters to be put into
the script. They were not clinging to anything. he said, They were really
quite generous in changing the Doom mythology a bit. One thing that id did
insist upon is that the main character in the movie be named John. When
asked, Callaham was unsure if that was a tribute to ids master programmer
John Carmack but did admit there is another character named Carmack in the
movie.

Callaham said that John, the Space Marine to be played by Karl Urban (best
know as Eomer in the Lord of the Rings trilogy), is stationed along with his
unit in a research base on an alien planet (the planet is unnamed in the
movie unlike the games Doom and Doom 3 which are set on Mars). In the movie
he is reunited with his sister, a scientist on the based named Samantha (to
be played by Die Another Day villainess Rosamund Pike). They were separated
after an accident that killed their parents and Callaham says, They are a
little estranged However, strange things are afoot on the base as alien
monsters begin to appear and both brother and sister have to put aside their
differences in order to survive. Dwayne The Rock Johnson will also appear as
Sarge, the head space marine, but Callaham warns, He is not going to be
smiling a whole bunch. You wont see him raise his left eyebrow "

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom,rec.sport.pro-wrestling (More info?)

"Carlito Carribean Cool" <I spit in the face of people who don't want to be
cool> wrote in message news:416b2440$1_2@127.0.0.1...
> HomeLan Fed chatted with screenwriter Dave Callaham the other day. The
> 26-year-old Callaham has the unenviable task of turning one of the most
> famous video games of all time into a working movie (something the
> game-to-film genre has yet to fully accomplish) even though this will be
his
> first produced movie script.
> Here's some excerpts:
>
> "In developing the Doom script, Callaham said that the games themselves
> helped in terms of the visuals that he wanted to put in. However, he said,
> In terms of character development it is non-existent (in the games) and
the
> id guys are the first to admit that. Callaham said that in his meetings
with
> the id Software team they were very supportive and open with his ideas on
> changing the Doom mythology and allowing for real characters to be put
into
> the script. They were not clinging to anything. he said, They were really
> quite generous in changing the Doom mythology a bit. One thing that id did
> insist upon is that the main character in the movie be named John. When
> asked, Callaham was unsure if that was a tribute to ids master programmer
> John Carmack but did admit there is another character named Carmack in the
> movie.
>
> Callaham said that John, the Space Marine to be played by Karl Urban (best
> know as Eomer in the Lord of the Rings trilogy), is stationed along with
his
> unit in a research base on an alien planet (the planet is unnamed in the
> movie unlike the games Doom and Doom 3 which are set on Mars). In the
movie
> he is reunited with his sister, a scientist on the based named Samantha
> be played by Die Another Day villainess Rosamund Pike). They were
separated
> after an accident that killed their parents and Callaham says, They are a
> little estranged However, strange things are afoot on the base as alien
> monsters begin to appear and both brother and sister have to put aside
their
> differences in order to survive. Dwayne The Rock Johnson will also appear
as
> Sarge, the head space marine, but Callaham warns, He is not going to be
> smiling a whole bunch. You wont see him raise his left eyebrow "

Interesting. Thanks.

I seem to remember that Doom was set on Mars' satellite Phobos. Is that
right?

--
Cycho{HHR}
http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/