Solved

My Modern Warfare2 now freezes @ main menu on launch

I recently crossfired my video cards, and now MW2 freezes at the main menu after launch. Sometimes it will run (after anywhere from 20-100 attempts to launch the game). When running my single GPU xfx HD 5770 I had no problems and settings were max @ 1920x1080 (I crossfired for other games performance benefits). My only other steam game, L4D2 runs perfect, and I mean perfect with max settings, so I dont believe it to be a steam issue. IMO it's driver or software related, but any input from the miracle workers at Tom's would be appreciated.

I've read a few posts from others crossfiring 2x hd 5770's playing mw2 fine. So im confuzzled.........

Side note: I played with catayst A.I settings, Standard, Advanced, and Disabled to no avail. I've been considering a driver rollback to 10.5, and then 10.4, but am not wanting to do so.

AMD 965BE@stock // ASUS M4A78T-E // 2x2 Dominator-GT DDR3 1600 @ stock 1333 mobo // Corsair TX850 psu // 2x HD5770s // CM HAF 932 AMD LE Case/
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about modern warfare2 freezes main menu launch
  1. Best answer
    Maybe the game is confused by the new setup. Try rolling back the driver first, but it may be worth just re-installing MW2.
  2. have you tried waiting it out. I know on my system (and i've read a lot of posts by others) that mw2 tends to freeze at the main menu. Try waiting a couple of minutes and see if it starts to respond.

For me, it usually takes between 30-60 sec
  3. Herr_Koos said:
    Maybe the game is confused by the new setup. Try rolling back the driver first, but it may be worth just re-installing MW2.

Tried a re-installation, made no difference. Re-installing the drivers were first, than the game. =(
  4. INeedSomeAdvice said:
    Tried a re-installation, made no difference.

Quote:
    Did you install the ATI Crossfire X application?

Yes, already had the 10.6 june, 18th crossfire app profiles installed.
  5. INeedSomeAdvice said:
    Yes, already had the 10.6 june, 18th crossfire app profiles installed.

Anonymous said:
    have you tried waiting it out. I know on my system (and i've read a lot of posts by others) that mw2 tends to freeze at the main menu. Try waiting a couple of minutes and see if it starts to respond.

For me, it usually takes between 30-60 sec

I've waited maybe 30 seconds or longer with no results. I could try giving it a little more time. I'm thinking about going back to 10.5, but others are still running their game on CCC 10.6. My frustration levels are growing and so I'm considering a format. It wouldnt hurt but is time consuming.
  6. Best answer selected by INeedSomeAdvice.
  7. I rolled back my drivers from 10.6 to 10.4, ran driver sweeper, and ccleaner. So far modern warfare 2 has launched perfectly everytime ive tried. And the driver rollback also took care of some other major problems I was experiencing with BFBC2 and Borderlands.

Thankfully the 10.4 drivers are working great, I was considering a format, but not looking forward to it. =)

Thanks for everyones advice.
  8. Cool! Glad to have been of service.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Games Video Games