Sign in with
Your question

Alien vs Predator will not start on steam

Last response: in Video Games
July 2, 2010 8:37:07 AM

Hello,

I just installed version of AVP on steam that came with the graphics but everytime I click to launch it nothing happens. I can see in the taskmanager in processes tab that it launches and then it disapears.

Any reasons why?

My specs:

AMD Phenom II 1090
4GB RAM
Windows 7 (everything is up to date)

July 2, 2010 11:09:10 AM

Are you running any security software?

I ask because although I swore I would not buy it, I bought supcom2 because of that damn steam sale.

It had an issue where it would launch and right before the menu, crash. Turns out spyware doctors behaviour guard was blocking it as it thought it was malicious.

It could be others things like a corrupt game file and perhaps you need to verify the game cache in steam and /or reinstall if you haven't already.
July 2, 2010 11:53:12 AM

I can concur with StrangeStranger about security software. I purchased Dead Space and it refused to run because Avast Firewall was blocking it. I had to enter firewall rule to allow it to run.

You might be experiencing the same issue.
Related resources
July 2, 2010 1:47:39 PM

I verified the files in steam and added the game to the AVG firewall but still same thing...
I got killing floor and CSS working on steam but I wanted to play something different...
July 2, 2010 3:51:21 PM

BTW, is this the latest version or the one that came out awhile ago? If it's the old one, have you tried setting it's compatibility mode to XP?
July 2, 2010 5:11:37 PM

got it working by changing teh compatibility to xp! THANK MAN!
July 2, 2010 5:56:39 PM

Cool. Glad to hear. I assume then you were talking about the older AvP game that came out around 1999 then? That's what I figured and it's why I suggested setting the compatibility mode to XP. Glad it worked!
July 2, 2010 6:40:28 PM

No I ment the new one, the one released recently :) 
July 2, 2010 7:44:22 PM

Hi, I would imagine that means that you will not see the game at its best as I have heard the dx11 options can make it look a lot better.

It is a pity you cannot play it full out.
July 3, 2010 1:23:04 PM

I have it set for DX11 and it looks fab
!