What are some good single player (offline) FPS/RPG (not RPG/FPS) games

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I'm looking for a single player, FPS/RPG type game. I don't want multiplayer, don't want to play online, I don't really play FPS type games so don't want the aggravation of being killed every 3 seconds.

Anyways, I want a game that is:
Single Player (may have optional online/multiplayer stuff)
Long Campaign(s)
Something fairly recent, that won't bring my system to a halt
Must be an FPS with RPG elements.
Not an RPG with FPS elements (example: mass effect, good game, but not looking for this type))

Please list as to why you think the game(s) you are talking about is good, doesn't have to be detailed.

Sorry if I sound picky, just want to try a new type of game, see if I like it, I normally like RPG games, but getting a bit bored of 'em.
Thanks for your replies.

trickynick

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I've played GTA, was fun, might pick up where I left off, San Andreas.

I tried Deus Ex, but it looks like crap on my current machine (Win 7 64-bit)

Haven't tried Fallout 3 or Borderlands, which would you recommend between the two?

garry__

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Fallout 3 has a way better plot, much more interesting and intriguing.

Keep in mind that Fallout 3 is more Action RPG than FPS, while Borderlands is more FPS than RPG.

I'd recommend Fallout 3 though. Watch some of the video review on Gametrailers, those are always good. :)

Fallout 3 is a great game. Looking forward to Fallout: New Vegas.

Fallout 3 has some heavy RPG in it though. Many things depends on skills which only increases when you level up and only if you assign points to them. For example, You got several types of weapons like Energy Weapons, Big Guns, Small Arms. Your accuracy depends on your skill level (0 - 100), the higher it is, the better your shot. It's not point and shoot like a Crysis.