Sign in with
Your question

GTA IV fps

Last response: in Video Games
July 2, 2010 4:35:23 PM

Hi all! My name is Kevin, this is my first topic.

My brother is going to upgrade his compuer (im building it together) and he wonder if he will be able to play GTA IV (dosnt matter settings!) with his new rig he's gonna get :

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 5200+ 2.7Ghz
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066Mhz 4GB
Graphics card: NVIDIA Geforce 7600 GS
PSU: Cooler Master Real Power 550W

FANS: 4 80mm (2 in front, 1 in side, 1 in top)

Thx guys

More about : gta fps

July 2, 2010 4:43:07 PM

hah, its my old cpu and he's gettin it for free u kno ;)  so it wont be playable at all then?? thx
July 2, 2010 4:45:21 PM

it might be playable, but not very well
Related resources
July 2, 2010 4:46:12 PM

ok thanks ^^
July 2, 2010 6:01:47 PM

From experience, I had an AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+ with an ATI HD 3870. I was lucky to get 15 fps even on low-res modes with GTA IV.

When I upgraded my system to an AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE, I was getting around 30 fps with the 3870. I've since upgraded to a 5750 GPU and I get around an average of 40-45 fps.

Having more than 2-cores is a must with GTA IV. It sucks, but that's the plain and honest truth.
July 2, 2010 6:06:21 PM

Its alright, thx
July 2, 2010 7:32:26 PM

The simple fact of the matter is that the PC version of GTA IV was very poorly done. Even some people with high end computers experienced the low FPS issue. It was just poorly coded, simple as that. Eats apart your cpu so you need a top of the line quad if you expect it to run smoothly.
July 2, 2010 7:48:49 PM

ye, my rig is

AMD Athlon II X4 2.6Ghz @ 2.8Ghz
Crusial BallistiX DDR3 1333Mhz 4GB
XFX GTX 260 Core 216 896MB

i get like, 30 fps :S

EDIT: BallistiX*
July 2, 2010 7:55:36 PM

Yes it was very poorly done for the PC. If you really love GTA IV you need a 360 or PS3 :D  .
July 2, 2010 7:59:44 PM

ye i kno.. but i only paid 6800kr ~ 850 dollar. and its an awsome rig ;) 
July 4, 2010 6:16:54 PM

I got a quad core at 3.6 ghz , 4 gb ram and an asus 9600 gt , i know GPU is quite old, will change soon..
At medium to high settings i get average of 35 which is the only game with that kind of low fps.
So with your specs i think there will be a big problem with running it..
I am seriously hating GTA with the way their engines are configured, you really need a dazzling rig to run it " Well" !
July 4, 2010 9:51:59 PM

I can't stress it enough. For anyone considering to buy this game for PC...SAVE YOUR MONEY PLEASE. The game was poorly coded as it goes for the PC version. The fact that there is absolutely no difference in FPS by changing graphics settings TELLS ALL.

No one should have to spend $150+ on upgrades to play a game that was developed years ago.
July 5, 2010 10:28:25 AM

vincentm83 said:
The fact that there is absolutely no difference in FPS by changing graphics settings TELLS ALL.

You're absolutely right - this does tell all. In this case, it tells that the game in your case is CPU limited, not GPU limited. GTA4 is not "poorly coded", it simply relies heavily on the CPU available inside the Xbox360/PS3 and so when it was ported to the PC they put the same emphasis on the CPU, which is why anyone with a CPU less than the tri-core in the Xbox360 will suffer poor performance. They were able to improve the graphics on the PC version over the consoles version because of the superior GPUs available for PCs.

The game was simply written not to scale down to lower spec PCs as well as most PC games do. It demands a lot of your PC and runs fine if your PC measures up (approx 45FPS average on mine with most graphics settings turned to High) but will not run playably if it doesn't.

Tell people whether their PCs will play it when they ask, by all means, but stressing to people that nobody should buy this game on PC is taking things way too far, my friend.
July 6, 2010 2:09:16 PM

People with high end machines had problems running this game. I've read about this all over the net and the general consesus is that yes, the pc version was poorly done.

When your computer can run Fallout 3, Crysis and other graphics intensive games without a hitch yet GTA IV has FPS issues, I see that as a problem. The PC version could have been decent, but it's crippled by poorly optimized code and forced bloatware.

This a large part of why it recieved such a poor user rating of 4.7/10 on metacritic. I've seen benchmarks on many quad core setups where people are getting a very poor 20-30 FPS.

This is just one of those instances where the game is meant for console, personally I like it better on the console. Btw I have every right to state my opinion in that the PC version is a waste of money, so don't tell me what is taking things to far, my friend.
July 6, 2010 10:30:43 PM

vincentm83 said:
People with high end machines had problems running this game. I've read about this all over the net and the general consesus is that yes, the pc version was poorly done.

When your computer can run Fallout 3, Crysis and other graphics intensive games without a hitch yet GTA IV has FPS issues, I see that as a problem. The PC version could have been decent, but it's crippled by poorly optimized code and forced bloatware.

This a large part of why it recieved such a poor user rating of 4.7/10 on metacritic. I've seen benchmarks on many quad core setups where people are getting a very poor 20-30 FPS.

This is just one of those instances where the game is meant for console, personally I like it better on the console. Btw I have every right to state my opinion in that the PC version is a waste of money, so don't tell me what is taking things to far, my friend.

I apologise, I've re-read my post and it does come across a lot stronger and more argumentative than I intended it to. I don't think I did very well at getting my point across there and my post could be read as an almost-troll comment. I felt you were too harsh in saying you didn't think anyone should buy this game on PC but I didn't mean to insinuat you were out of your rights to post your thoughts here.

I wasn't meaning to cause offence to you or start an argument in someone else's thread, so again - I apologise.
July 6, 2010 10:43:22 PM

No worries, I understand your position. GTA IV is certainly a good game, it just requires a rather powerful PC. I just don't want someone in the same position as me that spent 50 bucks on the game and never played it even once.
July 8, 2010 10:40:16 AM

but i got the parts yesterday.. and the computer playes VERY well without shadows..
July 9, 2010 6:08:41 PM

Confused Stu said:
YGTA4 is not "poorly coded", it simply relies heavily on the CPU available inside the Xbox360/PS3 and so when it was ported to the PC they put the same emphasis on the CPU, which is why anyone with a CPU less than the tri-core in the Xbox360 will suffer poor performance.

But the CPUs on modern PCs are much faster than the CPU in either the Xbox 360 or the PS3 so if the game was decently coded it could easily do the same amount of work on a dual-core PC CPU with cycles to spare.
July 12, 2010 9:25:31 PM

MarkG said:
But the CPUs on modern PCs are much faster than the CPU in either the Xbox 360 or the PS3 so if the game was decently coded it could easily do the same amount of work on a dual-core PC CPU with cycles to spare.

A modern dual core PC CPU can easily perform faster than the 3.2GHz tri-core CPU in the Xbox360 and the 6 available cores running at a similar speed in a PS3? Unless you can provide some reliable CPU-only benchmarks to back that up, we will have to agree to disagree on that one.

I'm really not here to argue, my point was simply that when they ported GTA4 to PC, that's what they did - they improved the graphics available for the PC version (have you seen the draw distance in the PS3 version?!?!) but didn't/weren't able to scale it down for slower setups than the original consoles it was designed on. If you have a PC set up parallel to a PS3/Xbox360 (strong CPU and a fairly good GPU) you can run the game as well as the consoles can. If your PC is stronger than the consoles, you can up the graphics quality without running it too much slower. If your PC is like most people's gaming PC (good, recent GPU teamed with an average CPU) then the game won't run as well as it does on the consoles as your CPU isn't as strong as it needs. This is in contrast to most games these days, where a half decent CPU is fine and your FPS is entirely dependant on your GPU.

Also, bear in mind we are not talking about running the game at 1920x1200 at 60FPS here. We are talking about running the game as well as a PS3/Xbox360 does - which means a low resolution, low quality, short draw distance, and still the FPS hitting 20FPS in heavy action scenes.

Example benchmarks to show my reasons for my opinions: http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,669595/GTA-4-PC-CPU-...
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,670889/GTA-4-PC-Benc...

Anyway, this is my opinion, feel free to post yours up - so long as you can back it up with facts and figures. :) 
July 13, 2010 4:49:54 AM

The game is playable on quad core machines, but I've seen some where even then it's getting poor FPS. Most people suggest quad core for the game though.

Type in GTA IV poorly optimized into google and see all the results you get regarding this and read around. Plenty of people complaining about exactly what I said.

If I can run Crysis, L4D2 and other graphics intensive games at good settings I should be able to run GTA 4 at the very least, a smooth playability with lowered graphics. But you can lower every setting the game has and get NO FPS difference. THAT is poorly optimized, THAT is poorly coded, sorry just a fact.

You can say the FPS on 360 and PS3 might be lower, but it's also playable, duh. Sorry your very specific anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much when the majority of players I see are having framerate issues with the game. GTA performance fix, GTA FPS fix are common google searches.
July 13, 2010 4:50:55 AM

Once again. If you don't have a powerful machine, don't bother.
July 14, 2010 1:52:03 PM

This game has really pissed me off with the low FPS's. It stutters really bad and like everyone else says, it was poorly done console port. Save your money and move onto to a different game.
July 15, 2010 5:04:07 PM

Confused Stu said:
A modern dual core PC CPU can easily perform faster than the 3.2GHz tri-core CPU in the Xbox360 and the 6 available cores running at a similar speed in a PS3?

Those CPUs are radically cut down with in-order execution and numerous other limitations which don't apply to the PC CPUs. I've seen several articles with developers complaining about how hard it is to get decent performance out of them.

If a couple of hundred dollars of several year old hardware could easily beat a modern PC CPU, then people in business markets would be lining up to buy those chips for servers instead of Intel or AMD's.

Quote:
I'm really not here to argue, my point was simply that when they ported GTA4 to PC, that's what they did - they improved the graphics available for the PC version (have you seen the draw distance in the PS3 version?!?!) but didn't/weren't able to scale it down for slower setups than the original consoles it was designed on.

And modern PCs are much faster than the consoles that GTA4 was developed for.
!