New CPU = disapointment.

I sold my 2.6Ghz, 512k L2 cache, Pentium 4 CPU, and got my hands on a Brand
new Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz with 1 meg of L2 cache.

I eagerly changed CPU's and ran the Doom 3 time demo. 600Mhz ( about 20%
faster ) and double the cache, and what do I get. 1 extra frame per second.

Now my graghics card is a GeForce FX 5900XT, no 6800, but no slouch either.
And 512 meg of dual channel DDR400 RAM should be enough.

I've posed this point before, and now I believe I have proven it. For Doom
3, if you have an OK system the only thing that is going to get you good FPS
is a kick arse graphics card.

Oh well, I needed a CPU upgrade anyway.

Andy...

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:56:48 GMT, "Angellus"
<andy_email2002"NOSPAM"@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>I sold my 2.6Ghz, 512k L2 cache, Pentium 4 CPU, and got my hands on a Brand
>new Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz with 1 meg of L2 cache.
>
>I eagerly changed CPU's and ran the Doom 3 time demo. 600Mhz ( about 20%
>faster ) and double the cache, and what do I get. 1 extra frame per second.
>
>Now my graghics card is a GeForce FX 5900XT, no 6800, but no slouch either.
>And 512 meg of dual channel DDR400 RAM should be enough.
>
>I've posed this point before, and now I believe I have proven it. For Doom
>3, if you have an OK system the only thing that is going to get you good FPS
>is a kick arse graphics card.
>
>Oh well, I needed a CPU upgrade anyway.

2.6 to 3.2, you "needed" an upgrade? Should've got a GT...

js

hg

"Angellus" <andy_email2002"NOSPAM"@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> I sold my 2.6Ghz, 512k L2 cache, Pentium 4 CPU, and got my hands on a
Brand
> new Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz with 1 meg of L2 cache.

My CPU upgrade plan has always been to never upgrade unless I got double the
performance-
I changed from a cyrix 686 200Mhz to PII -400Mhz to a 1.3Ghz Athlon and from
that to a 3GHZ Athlon XP, thus ensuring I always got at least double the
performance from an upgrade. A 5GHZ (PR) or faster Athlon 64 should give me
double the speed of my Athlon XP, so that'll be my next upgrade. Could be a
while for those to appear, should give 64bit Windows enough time to sort out
the bugs.
Could be interesting in future as dual core CPUs come along, I wonder how
I'll decide to upgrade then?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"Angellus" <andy_email2002"NOSPAM"@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>I sold my 2.6Ghz, 512k L2 cache, Pentium 4 CPU, and got my hands on a Brand
> new Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz with 1 meg of L2 cache.
>
> I eagerly changed CPU's and ran the Doom 3 time demo. 600Mhz ( about 20%
> faster ) and double the cache, and what do I get. 1 extra frame per
> second.
>
> Now my graghics card is a GeForce FX 5900XT, no 6800, but no slouch
> either.
> And 512 meg of dual channel DDR400 RAM should be enough.
>
> I've posed this point before, and now I believe I have proven it. For
> Doom
> 3, if you have an OK system the only thing that is going to get you good
> FPS
> is a kick arse graphics card.
>
> Oh well, I needed a CPU upgrade anyway.
>
> Andy...

That proved you didn't do enough testing on your computer. Generally there
are TWO factors that limit your frame rate

1. CPU
2. Graphics card

A simple analogy that helps to understand this is think of data transfer as
water and the CPU and graphics card as two different size (diameter) pipes
connected together. The rate of flow of water through the pipes is always
limited by the smaller pipe.

Angellus wrote:
> I sold my 2.6Ghz, 512k L2 cache, Pentium 4 CPU, and got my hands on a Brand
> new Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz with 1 meg of L2 cache.
>
> I eagerly changed CPU's and ran the Doom 3 time demo. 600Mhz ( about 20%
> faster ) and double the cache, and what do I get. 1 extra frame per second.
>
> Now my graghics card is a GeForce FX 5900XT, no 6800, but no slouch either.
> And 512 meg of dual channel DDR400 RAM should be enough.
>
> I've posed this point before, and now I believe I have proven it. For Doom
> 3, if you have an OK system the only thing that is going to get you good FPS
> is a kick arse graphics card.
>
> Oh well, I needed a CPU upgrade anyway.
>
> Andy...

The 5900XT is not as powerful as you might think. When a 5700 Ultra
DDR3 board can cap it, then you can tell it's memory bandwidth isn't
nearly as high as (for example) the 5950.

Overall you would have benefited much more from a 6800GT or even the new
6600 boards (if you can find one). The P4 is known for diminishing
returns at this point (unless you go for the EE model).

On 10/12/2004 12:56 AM Angellus brightened our day with:

>I sold my 2.6Ghz, 512k L2 cache, Pentium 4 CPU, and got my hands on a Brand
>new Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz with 1 meg of L2 cache.
>
>I eagerly changed CPU's and ran the Doom 3 time demo. 600Mhz ( about 20%
>faster ) and double the cache, and what do I get. 1 extra frame per second.
>
>Now my graghics card is a GeForce FX 5900XT, no 6800, but no slouch either.
>And 512 meg of dual channel DDR400 RAM should be enough.
>
>I've posed this point before, and now I believe I have proven it. For Doom
>3, if you have an OK system the only thing that is going to get you good FPS
>is a kick arse graphics card.
>
>Oh well, I needed a CPU upgrade anyway.
>
>Andy...

I bet Doom 3 runs a lot faster now at 640x480 then it did before. But
that was the only improvement you should have expected.

--
"Coming soon: Meatspace spyware, little men who live in your cupboards and watch what you eat and then try to sell you timeshares in Toronto."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:56:48 GMT, Angellus <andy_email2002@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> I sold my 2.6Ghz, 512k L2 cache, Pentium 4 CPU, and got my hands on a Brand
> new Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz with 1 meg of L2 cache.
>
> I eagerly changed CPU's and ran the Doom 3 time demo. 600Mhz ( about 20%
> faster ) and double the cache, and what do I get. 1 extra frame per second.
>
> Now my graghics card is a GeForce FX 5900XT, no 6800, but no slouch either.
> And 512 meg of dual channel DDR400 RAM should be enough.

I have a base 128 MB 6800 on Athlon 64 3200+ (2 GHz), and even though that
is 60 fps @ 1280x1024 native resolution of my LCD display (high quality,
no AA or AF), that is video card limited, not CPU limited. If I bump my
CPU and RAM 10% (2.2 GHz and 440 MHz), there is almost no gain in fps
(maybe 0.5 fps maximum timedemo).

Before that I tried a 256 MB FX 5700LE (store was out of 5900's) which
required a stronger power supply and initially was only 15 fps @ 800x600.
But something I did bumped that up to 25 fps (maybe driver update),
although, it still bogged down to 15 fps at times. Fortunately eVGA has a
step-up program, so I was able to trade that for the 6800 (which came with
Far Cry at that time) for the price difference.

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:56:48 GMT, "Angellus"
<andy_email2002"NOSPAM"@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

:>I sold my 2.6Ghz, 512k L2 cache, Pentium 4 CPU, and got my hands on a Brand
:>new Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz with 1 meg of L2 cache.
:>
:>I eagerly changed CPU's and ran the Doom 3 time demo. 600Mhz ( about 20%
:>faster ) and double the cache, and what do I get. 1 extra frame per second.
:>
:>Now my graghics card is a GeForce FX 5900XT, no 6800, but no slouch either.
:>And 512 meg of dual channel DDR400 RAM should be enough.
:>
:>I've posed this point before, and now I believe I have proven it. For Doom
:>3, if you have an OK system the only thing that is going to get you good FPS
:>is a kick arse graphics card.
:>
:>Oh well, I needed a CPU upgrade anyway.
:>
:>Andy...

You should have done better than that. I replaced a P4-3.06GHZ 512K
cache @ 533MHZ FSB with a P4-3.20GHZ 1MB cache @ 800MHZ FSB on a
system with a 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro and saw approximately a 20%
increase in performance in doom3 timedemos run at the same settings
before and after the swap.

BTW, is your 3.20 a Prescott core or a Northwood? If it's a Prescott
and your motherboard doesn't fully support it the processor will only
run a 2.80GHZ. If you check out some of the motherboard manufacturers
forums you will see a lot of pissed off people about that. Some older
motherboards will support the Prescott with a BIOS upgrade but it
appears the majority won't. Quite a few P4 motherboards more than
about 6-9 months old have this issue with the Prescott processors.

me/2

PS: I was able to verify the 2.80GHZ by first installing my 3.20e
Prescott in an AOpen board about 9 months old before I installed it in
my fairly recent MSI board in my "game" system.

Didnt cost me much to upgrade the CPU.

Andy.

"Jon Slamm" <bite@mybutt.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:56:48 GMT, "Angellus"
> <andy_email2002"NOSPAM"@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
> >I sold my 2.6Ghz, 512k L2 cache, Pentium 4 CPU, and got my hands on a
Brand
> >new Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz with 1 meg of L2 cache.
> >
> >I eagerly changed CPU's and ran the Doom 3 time demo. 600Mhz ( about 20%
> >faster ) and double the cache, and what do I get. 1 extra frame per
second.

> >Now my graghics card is a GeForce FX 5900XT, no 6800, but no slouch
either.
> >And 512 meg of dual channel DDR400 RAM should be enough.
> >
> >I've posed this point before, and now I believe I have proven it. For
Doom
> >3, if you have an OK system the only thing that is going to get you good
FPS
> >is a kick arse graphics card.
> >
> >Oh well, I needed a CPU upgrade anyway.
>
> 2.6 to 3.2, you "needed" an upgrade? Should've got a GT...
>
> js

Yes it is a prescott CPU and my board does suport it.

Andy.

"me/2" <null@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:56:48 GMT, "Angellus"
> <andy_email2002"NOSPAM"@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
> :>I sold my 2.6Ghz, 512k L2 cache, Pentium 4 CPU, and got my hands on a
Brand
> :>new Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz with 1 meg of L2 cache.
> :>
> :>I eagerly changed CPU's and ran the Doom 3 time demo. 600Mhz ( about 20%
> :>faster ) and double the cache, and what do I get. 1 extra frame per
second.
> :>
> :>Now my graghics card is a GeForce FX 5900XT, no 6800, but no slouch
either.
> :>And 512 meg of dual channel DDR400 RAM should be enough.
> :>
> :>I've posed this point before, and now I believe I have proven it. For
Doom
> :>3, if you have an OK system the only thing that is going to get you good
FPS
> :>is a kick arse graphics card.
> :>
> :>Oh well, I needed a CPU upgrade anyway.
> :>
> :>Andy...
>
> You should have done better than that. I replaced a P4-3.06GHZ 512K
> cache @ 533MHZ FSB with a P4-3.20GHZ 1MB cache @ 800MHZ FSB on a
> system with a 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro and saw approximately a 20%
> increase in performance in doom3 timedemos run at the same settings
> before and after the swap.
>
> BTW, is your 3.20 a Prescott core or a Northwood? If it's a Prescott
> and your motherboard doesn't fully support it the processor will only
> run a 2.80GHZ. If you check out some of the motherboard manufacturers
> forums you will see a lot of pissed off people about that. Some older
> motherboards will support the Prescott with a BIOS upgrade but it
> appears the majority won't. Quite a few P4 motherboards more than
> about 6-9 months old have this issue with the Prescott processors.
>
> me/2
>
> PS: I was able to verify the 2.80GHZ by first installing my 3.20e
> Prescott in an AOpen board about 9 months old before I installed it in
> my fairly recent MSI board in my "game" system.

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:56:48 GMT, "Angellus"
<andy_email2002"NOSPAM"@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>I sold my 2.6Ghz, 512k L2 cache, Pentium 4 CPU, and got my hands on a Brand
>new Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz with 1 meg of L2 cache.
>
>I eagerly changed CPU's and ran the Doom 3 time demo. 600Mhz ( about 20%
>faster ) and double the cache, and what do I get. 1 extra frame per second.
>
>Now my graghics card is a GeForce FX 5900XT, no 6800, but no slouch either.
>And 512 meg of dual channel DDR400 RAM should be enough.
>
>I've posed this point before, and now I believe I have proven it. For Doom
>3, if you have an OK system the only thing that is going to get you good FPS
>is a kick arse graphics card.
>
>Oh well, I needed a CPU upgrade anyway.
>
>Andy...

It looks like you went with the cpu that I use. A P4e 3.2 Prescott. I
highly recommend this cpu because it is cheap and oc's by 10% or
better easily. But as I said in an earlier post (see New Rig Specs and
Performance) the performance leap came with the 6800 GT. I was using a
128meg 5900 and was getting only 45 fps or so on 640x480 medium
settings. I have since refined my setup and am now getting 68 fps on
1280x1024 at High with 2x AA. This is perfect for d3. As Inglo said,
the cpu will really help at the low res end but higher res are
dependent on the card.
By the way, my 3dmark03 score is 12250. :) and it measures cpu as
well as card performance so you would probably see a good increase in
that benchmark with your cpu upgrade.
And you're right, a kickass graphics card would do you more good than
anything at this point.

marXbig...who knows just enough to be dangerous.

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 07:56:48 GMT, "Angellus"
<andy_email2002"NOSPAM"@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

|I sold my 2.6Ghz, 512k L2 cache, Pentium 4 CPU, and got my hands on a Brand
|new Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz with 1 meg of L2 cache.
|
|I eagerly changed CPU's and ran the Doom 3 time demo. 600Mhz ( about 20%
|faster ) and double the cache, and what do I get. 1 extra frame per second.
|
|Now my graghics card is a GeForce FX 5900XT, no 6800, but no slouch either.
|And 512 meg of dual channel DDR400 RAM should be enough.
|
|I've posed this point before, and now I believe I have proven it. For Doom
|3, if you have an OK system the only thing that is going to get you good FPS
|is a kick arse graphics card.
|
|Oh well, I needed a CPU upgrade anyway.
|
|Andy...

Sorry for the disappointment but thanks for the good additional data
point.

jk

Angellus wrote:

> I sold my 2.6Ghz, 512k L2 cache, Pentium 4 CPU, and got my hands on a Brand
> new Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz with 1 meg of L2 cache.

You should have bought a new motherboard and an Athlon 64 instead.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

A $150 Athlon 64 3000+ socket 754 beats an $815 Pentium 4 3.2 ghz EE
in Doom 3.

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:18:21 -0400, JK <JK9821@netscape.net> wrote:

>Angellus wrote:
>
>> I sold my 2.6Ghz, 512k L2 cache, Pentium 4 CPU, and got my hands on a Brand
>> new Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz with 1 meg of L2 cache.
>
>You should have bought a new motherboard and an Athlon 64 instead.
>
>http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7
>
>A $150 Athlon 64 3000+ socket 754 beats an $815 Pentium 4 3.2 ghz EE
>in Doom 3.

http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&Range=1&DEPA=0&bop=and&description=Pentium+P4&InnerCata=343

Intel Pentium 4/ 3.2E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading
Technology - Retail
(limit 5 per customer)

Specification
Model: Intel Pentium 4 w/ Hyper Threading Technology
Core: Prescott
Operating Frequency: 3.2GHz
FSB: 800MHz
Cache: L1/12K+16K; L2/1MB
Voltage: 1.25V-1.525V
Process: 0.09Micron
Socket: Socket 478
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Warranty: 3-year MFG
Packaging: Retail(with Heatsink and Fan)

$223.00

Cheaper if you try. I got mine for 198.00.

marXbig...who knows just enough to be dangerous.

apart from GPU, best thing in your case would have been a 3 gig ram-drive,
running XP from ram and d3 - suddenly even the latest gpu becomes the
weakest link of all...
mind you, they cost a fair wack :(

"Angellus" <andy_email2002"NOSPAM"@yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> I sold my 2.6Ghz, 512k L2 cache, Pentium 4 CPU, and got my hands on a
Brand
> new Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz with 1 meg of L2 cache.
>
> I eagerly changed CPU's and ran the Doom 3 time demo. 600Mhz ( about 20%
> faster ) and double the cache, and what do I get. 1 extra frame per
second.

> Now my graghics card is a GeForce FX 5900XT, no 6800, but no slouch
either.
> And 512 meg of dual channel DDR400 RAM should be enough.
>
> I've posed this point before, and now I believe I have proven it. For
Doom
> 3, if you have an OK system the only thing that is going to get you good
FPS
> is a kick arse graphics card.
>
> Oh well, I needed a CPU upgrade anyway.
>
> Andy...

Tim

> Yep, and coming out Very Soon Now (got fingers crossed) is Half-Life2.
> WHICH (in the Collectors Edition I ordered) comes on DVD with Counter
> Strike:Source and Half-Life:Source. Means these two are ported to HL2
> engine :)

In addition to those titles, I'm looking forward to "Vampire: The
Masquerade - Bloodlines" which apparently is built on the Source engine as
well.

On 10/15/2004 5:31 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

>Yep, and coming out Very Soon Now (got fingers crossed) is Half-Life2.
>WHICH (in the Collectors Edition I ordered) comes on DVD with Counter
>Strike:Source and Half-Life:Source. Means these two are ported to HL2
>engine :)
>I'm having to stick with the hardware toys I have for a good while now.
>I got a Jeep Grand Cherokee last Saturday to pay for now :eek:| [BUT,
>it's FUN!]
>McG.

I just ordered a new monitor, only a 17" Flat Panel (I know you've got
two inches on that), but I'm thinking it's going to look a little nicer
than my 7 year old Dell CRT.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-006-052&depa=1
I was looking hard for a monitor that had a DVI-D cable included. This
one has it plus lots of excellent reviews. Every one at newegg is 5 stars.
Next week I'll drop down some pre-order cash at EBGames for HL2. I
already have Steam and a bitched version of CS:Source. I never really
liked CS though. Still have to finish Far Cry before HL2 gets here.

--

"Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> Yep, and coming out Very Soon Now (got fingers crossed) is
>> Half-Life2.
>> WHICH (in the Collectors Edition I ordered) comes on DVD with Counter
>> Strike:Source and Half-Life:Source. Means these two are ported to
>> HL2
>> engine :)
>

> In addition to those titles, I'm looking forward to "Vampire: The
> Masquerade - Bloodlines" which apparently is built on the Source
> engine as
> well.

Yes! I'd just found out about that one. It's release has to wait for
the release of HL2, and I hear Masquerade-Bloodlines has been ready for
a little while now. It appears there will be no immediate shortage of
games to play on the SOURCE engine! :eek:)
McG.

"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 10/15/2004 5:31 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
>

>> Yep, and coming out Very Soon Now (got fingers crossed) is
>> Half-Life2.
>> WHICH (in the Collectors Edition I ordered) comes on DVD with Counter
>> Strike:Source and Half-Life:Source. Means these two are ported to
>> HL2
>> engine :)
>> I'm having to stick with the hardware toys I have for a good while
>> now.
>> I got a Jeep Grand Cherokee last Saturday to pay for now :eek:| [BUT,
>> it's FUN!]
>> McG.
>>

> I just ordered a new monitor, only a 17" Flat Panel (I know you've got
> two inches on that), but I'm thinking it's going to look a little
> nicer
> than my 7 year old Dell CRT.
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-006-052&depa=1
> I was looking hard for a monitor that had a DVI-D cable included.
> This
> one has it plus lots of excellent reviews. Every one at newegg is 5
> stars.

That is a very nice monitor and a good price too. I note a few nice
things about it that I would look for as well; built in power supply
(no chunk sitting on the desk somewhere like I have with the Envision
19"), the height is adjustable on your Sony (but not on either of the
NEC's or the Envision I bought), DVI and VGA inputs, comes with both
cables. The Sony looks like it's built nice and sturdy too, no wiggling
or shaking. I see a surprising number of LCD monitors that
seem....cheaply made? They're lacking a 'solid' physical feel to them.
I didn't like the majority of the monitors I've had my hands on. I
flat walked away from some highly rated Samsung, LiquidVision, and newer
NEC TFT monitors just because they looked about to fall apart sitting on
display at Circuit City. I was really surprised at that turn, honestly.
This Envision is a new brand to me. But those circumstances forced me
to have a good look at it, and I was pleased with what I saw. So I
dropped my $599 on it. That was 8 months ago now. After reading so
much about these TFT displays I am also counting myself very fortunate
that the three I've bought have no dead pixels. I was also pleasantly
surprised at the positive difference that using the Envision with DVI
port and cable made. Its response time is 24ms, but for whatever
reason, going from the analog VGA to the DVI port made a big difference
in 'ghosting' shadows in the games and movies. Though it's still there,
it's barely noticeable when using DVI. The NEC's both are 16ms and I
don't see any ghosting in them at all.
Looks like you got all the good stuff in one package Steve. Good job!
And congrats on that addition!

> Next week I'll drop down some pre-order cash at EBGames for HL2. I
> already have Steam and a bitched version of CS:Source. I never really
> liked CS though. Still have to finish Far Cry before HL2 gets here.

Relax and don't worry about 'finishing' a game. Enjoy it! I still fire
up FC for a little target practice with some excellent weaponry! I
bought CS, and I hated being absolutely stuck on rails through the
training level. I never got through it, gave the game to my son (who
loved it). But HL and Opposing Force and Ground Zero I still have, and
still play, still enjoy. I am really looking forward to seeing HL all
souped up for SOURCE! :) I have the thought that HL2 will be
front-and-center for some while to come though, as soon as we all get
it! The other games will be patiently waiting for a while.
McG.

> --
> "Coming soon: Meatspace spyware, little men who live in your cupboards
> and
> watch what you eat and then try to sell you timeshares in Toronto."
> Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
> www.inglostadt.com

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:53:38 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>"Tim" <argybargy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> Yep, and coming out Very Soon Now (got fingers crossed) is
>>> Half-Life2.
>>> WHICH (in the Collectors Edition I ordered) comes on DVD with Counter
>>> Strike:Source and Half-Life:Source. Means these two are ported to
>>> HL2
>>> engine :)
>>

>> In addition to those titles, I'm looking forward to "Vampire: The
>> Masquerade - Bloodlines" which apparently is built on the Source
>> engine as
>> well.
>
>Yes! I'd just found out about that one. It's release has to wait for
>the release of HL2, and I hear Masquerade-Bloodlines has been ready for
>a little while now. It appears there will be no immediate shortage of
>games to play on the SOURCE engine! :eek:)
>McG.

It seems the Doom 3 engine is a dead end however...

BTW, here's a hint: don't make people have to listen to hours of
boring logs to get to secret lockers... That gets tired really fast...

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 04:41:24 GMT, Inglo <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote:

>On 10/15/2004 5:31 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
>

>>Yep, and coming out Very Soon Now (got fingers crossed) is Half-Life2.
>>WHICH (in the Collectors Edition I ordered) comes on DVD with Counter
>>Strike:Source and Half-Life:Source. Means these two are ported to HL2
>>engine :)
>>I'm having to stick with the hardware toys I have for a good while now.
>>I got a Jeep Grand Cherokee last Saturday to pay for now :eek:| [BUT,
>>it's FUN!]
>>McG.
>>

>I just ordered a new monitor, only a 17" Flat Panel (I know you've got
>two inches on that), but I'm thinking it's going to look a little nicer
>than my 7 year old Dell CRT.

How about get a 19" CRT and a classy escort for the same price?? (What
your wife don't know won't hurt her... ;)

>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-006-052&depa=1
>I was looking hard for a monitor that had a DVI-D cable included. This
>one has it plus lots of excellent reviews. Every one at newegg is 5 stars.
>Next week I'll drop down some pre-order cash at EBGames for HL2. I
>already have Steam and a bitched version of CS:Source. I never really
>liked CS though. Still have to finish Far Cry before HL2 gets here.

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:23:04 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>"Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
>> On 10/15/2004 5:31 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
>>

>>> Yep, and coming out Very Soon Now (got fingers crossed) is
>>> Half-Life2.
>>> WHICH (in the Collectors Edition I ordered) comes on DVD with Counter
>>> Strike:Source and Half-Life:Source. Means these two are ported to
>>> HL2
>>> engine :)
>>> I'm having to stick with the hardware toys I have for a good while
>>> now.
>>> I got a Jeep Grand Cherokee last Saturday to pay for now :eek:| [BUT,
>>> it's FUN!]
>>> McG.
>>>

>> I just ordered a new monitor, only a 17" Flat Panel (I know you've got
>> two inches on that), but I'm thinking it's going to look a little
>> nicer
>> than my 7 year old Dell CRT.
>> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-006-052&depa=1
>> I was looking hard for a monitor that had a DVI-D cable included.
>> This
>> one has it plus lots of excellent reviews. Every one at newegg is 5
>> stars.
>
>That is a very nice monitor and a good price too. I note a few nice
>things about it that I would look for as well; built in power supply
>(no chunk sitting on the desk somewhere like I have with the Envision
>19"), the height is adjustable on your Sony (but not on either of the
>NEC's or the Envision I bought), DVI and VGA inputs, comes with both
>cables. The Sony looks like it's built nice and sturdy too, no wiggling
>or shaking. I see a surprising number of LCD monitors that
>seem....cheaply made? They're lacking a 'solid' physical feel to them.
>I didn't like the majority of the monitors I've had my hands on. I
>flat walked away from some highly rated Samsung, LiquidVision, and newer
>NEC TFT monitors just because they looked about to fall apart sitting on
>display at Circuit City. I was really surprised at that turn, honestly.
>This Envision is a new brand to me. But those circumstances forced me
>to have a good look at it, and I was pleased with what I saw. So I
>dropped my $599 on it. That was 8 months ago now. After reading so
>much about these TFT displays I am also counting myself very fortunate
>that the three I've bought have no dead pixels. I was also pleasantly
>surprised at the positive difference that using the Envision with DVI
>port and cable made. Its response time is 24ms, but for whatever
>reason, going from the analog VGA to the DVI port made a big difference
>in 'ghosting' shadows in the games and movies. Though it's still there,
>it's barely noticeable when using DVI. The NEC's both are 16ms and I
>don't see any ghosting in them at all.
>Looks like you got all the good stuff in one package Steve. Good job!
>And congrats on that addition!

Hey Gramps, less is more... like I was going to waste brain cells
reading all that meaningless text...

"count zero" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:23:04 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Inglo" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
snip
>> Looks like you got all the good stuff in one package Steve. Good
>> job!
>> And congrats on that addition!
>
> Hey Gramps, less is more... like I was going to waste brain cells
> reading all that meaningless text...

snip

Are you Inglo?
McG.

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 06:07:00 -0300, count zero <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

>It seems the Doom 3 engine is a dead end however...
>
>BTW, here's a hint: don't make people have to listen to hours of
>boring logs to get to secret lockers... That gets tired really fast...

The problem you described would be a problem with the game, not the engine.
It's fairly easy to plan (or modify) the game to include a written version
of the logs or any other message the player sees. This will allow the
player to quickly skim over logs to see what is being missed.

System Shock 2 does this, as does Deus Ex.