strange behavior of 3Com 3CRPAG175

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 19, 2004 4:00:35 PM

hi,

i have bought a 3Com 3CRPAG175 and have some trouble with it.
when there are no wireless networks reachalbe and i have the xjack
antenna out (only then) the mouse coursor freezes for a moment every
time the little led on the antenna lights up.
i believe this cannot be normal.
my notebook runs windows xp professional, sp2. 3com driver is current
1.0.0.25.
does anybody have ideas what i can do against that?
any help appreciated
thanks in advance

alexander huemer
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 1:13:37 AM

"alexander huemer" <alex_huemer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi,
>
> i have bought a 3Com 3CRPAG175 and have some trouble with it.
> when there are no wireless networks reachalbe and i have the xjack
> antenna out (only then) the mouse coursor freezes for a moment every
> time the little led on the antenna lights up.
> i believe this cannot be normal.
> my notebook runs windows xp professional, sp2. 3com driver is current
> 1.0.0.25.
> does anybody have ideas what i can do against that?
> any help appreciated
> thanks in advance
>
> alexander huemer

I had exactly this problem with a 3CRPAG175 and my Dell Inspiron 8000, also
running Win XP Pro. Strangely the problem was only there when I was running
at 802.11g speeds. When I changed my router to 802.11b speeds the problem
vanished. Interestingly the card also worked perfectly at both speeds in my
the same laptop when running Windows Me. It was only g speeds and XP that
caused a problem. Sometimes it was just momentary mouse freezes but
ultimately the laptop would freeze completely with CPU at 100% and the only
option was to hit the power button.

I spent months trying to resolve this with 3Com and in the end they refunded
me in full (I hadn't even bought the card from them!). I am now using a
Netgear WG511 with no problems whatsoever.

Have a look at previous threads here....

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&safe...

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=lang_en&safe...

Try searching Google Groups for 3CRPAG175 and you'll find a few more
threads/comments. Long story short, I suspect you will need to get a
different card.
!