Sign in with
Your question

AMD Motherboard - help

Last response: in Motherboards
November 15, 2004 4:35:47 PM

Guys

My Abit NF7-S Mobo gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago - having blown 2 power supplies in the process - all the components have been checked and work ok - so I need to replace this. Should I go for the same or change - I've got an Athlon 2400+ with 512Mb RAM etc. Can anyone make any suggestion as to which one I should get - dont really want to buy another processor (well not just yet) Thanks

More about : amd motherboard

November 15, 2004 4:56:13 PM

I would go for something cheap at this point. the "not yet" part of your question suggest that you might be tempted to go 64-bit in the not so distant future.

<A HREF="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite..." target="_new"> this is the cheapest Nforce2 I know of.</A>

It's known problems were that the onboard sound was different than other NF2 boards and that Chaintech isn't exactly the Mobo maker of the year... for everything but sound, it should perform on par with any first generation NF2 boards.

BIOSTAR M7NCG Athlon XP 2400+
ATI RADEON 9600SE
Adaptec 29160 - Ultra160 SCSI
2 x Quantum Atlas 10K3 18 WLS
WDC WD1200JB-00CRA1
Toshiba 8x4x12x DVD±RW
AOpen Micro-ATX Desktop 200W
a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2004 9:29:40 PM

Abit offers a 3 year warranty on their boards, you just request an RMA number, they give you one, you send the board, they replace it. No problems in my experience.

There isn't a board problem in the world that can blow a quality power supply. Quality power supplies have overload and thermal protection and simply switch off with overloaded. I'm not even sure if you have a bad board or simply don't know anything about quality when it comes to purchasing power supplies.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
November 15, 2004 11:49:54 PM

there has been occurences of USB powered speakers (my god! noooo) blowing up either the motherboard, the PSU or both...

of course, they might not have been verry good PSUs...

I had a good laugh that day... ah, old days... as old as last spring.

BIOSTAR M7NCG Athlon XP 2400+
ATI RADEON 9600SE
Adaptec 29160 - Ultra160 SCSI
2 x Quantum Atlas 10K3 18 WLS
WDC WD1200JB-00CRA1
Toshiba 8x4x12x DVD±RW
AOpen Micro-ATX Desktop 200W
a b V Motherboard
November 16, 2004 7:04:16 AM

You can jump the 5v line to ground with a nail on good power supplies and not damage them, they have a self-resetting circuit breaker.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 16, 2004 7:20:09 AM

Thanks for this - the power supply was a Jeantech 350W (came with the case - I can feel you all wincing now as I write this!) I managed to get the mobo cost refunded from the store where I purchased it - however they don't have any more NF7-S - they have other abit mobos though. I've checked all the other components (apart from the graphics card/processor) in another machine and they all work fine - since it blew 2 power supplies I assumed something is causing a feed to ground and blow the supply - I'm assuming that I should spend the cash and get a decent PSU as well then - any suggestions including a decent board - as I mentioned earlier don't want to replace this machine for the mo - just want it running as well as the NF7 did before it performed its pyrotechnic display !
November 17, 2004 7:49:43 PM

I've just been through similar; beloved Leadtek all-in-one mobo struck by lightning - through ethernet/DSL ports. Athlon XP 2000+ was undamaged. Replaced with Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe $80US (splurged on ATI 9600XT video card to go with it). All smiles now. Caution: do not allow Windows Update to install its drivers, lest ye be without video.

-----------------------------------------------
Der Gerechten Seelen sind in Gottes Hand
!