Sign in with
Your question

Arma 2 gtx 480 problems

Last response: in Video Games
July 4, 2010 5:00:08 AM

I get 25 fps on razor two mission.... seems pretty low with settings on high, AA disabled

PC specs....

1680x1050
Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.4 ghz
EVGA GTX 480
4 gigs ddr2 800
WD Caviar black 500gig 7200 rpm
Gigabyte 785g mobo
Windows 7 64bit

So i was expecting 35 or higher given how this game is..... any ideas?

More about : arma gtx 480 problems

July 4, 2010 5:34:50 AM

What PSU?
Related resources
July 4, 2010 5:50:34 AM

Latest video drivers installed? Background programs turned off? Even in the taskbar? Media players, updates, browser windows, documents?
July 4, 2010 6:01:50 AM

yes to all. It is a relatively fresh install of 7 as well. 3dmark06 is aroung 18600 as well, which is low for this card too
July 4, 2010 4:39:31 PM

I'm suspecting it is the RAM which is holding you back.
July 4, 2010 9:22:34 PM

4 gigs is holding it back that much?
July 5, 2010 6:03:01 AM

Not the capacity, but the speed -> DDR2.
July 5, 2010 11:42:02 AM

Try this: Go to START -> (and in the Start Search thing on the bottom) type msconfig. Then go to Boot tab and click Advanced Options. Top right check mark "Maximum Memory" and type in "3584" and click OK. Then Apply and OK.
Restart the PC and try to play.
July 6, 2010 6:41:47 AM

Well i will try that as soon as I get my new monitor back, fried after 3 years. Just a quick side note though, my CPU wont bottleneck that card on normal games will it? If so I might get something else that suites my CPU better. I am finding out arma 2 was not made to be played with good framrates on any system.
July 6, 2010 8:57:20 AM

You have a balanced PC. Your CPU will only bottleneck a 5970 or GTX 480 in SLI.
July 6, 2010 12:41:46 PM

Yes, the CPU is fine. Maybe the card you've got is defective.
July 6, 2010 1:24:42 PM

Ye I might pick up a new one today. My PSU is giving it enough power right? I know it exceeds minimum, but the 25A on 4 different rails. Also, I thought if card were defective they just bsod, not throttle down or whatever. Thanks
July 6, 2010 4:33:28 PM

Yup, no issues with your PSU.
July 6, 2010 4:57:30 PM

It's been a long time since I've even tried to play ArmaII, but last time around it was having major FPS issues with both high end and mid/low end PCs. Are we sure that they've patched it enough to fix it's own problems?
July 6, 2010 5:52:54 PM

jerreece said:
It's been a long time since I've even tried to play ArmaII, but last time around it was having major FPS issues with both high end and mid/low end PCs. Are we sure that they've patched it enough to fix it's own problems?

In my experience no and from what I have heard no. It is a shame too
July 6, 2010 8:48:37 PM

any opinions on my PSU for this card?
July 7, 2010 3:07:35 AM

I don't know about your 3D mark score being low. It is a heavily CPU dependent test and could be low because of your AMD CPU. When you see a 3dMark benchmark in these reviews, they are usually using intel i7s and usually are overclocked to remove CPU bottlenecks.

How about other games? Do they run ok? It could be just a driver issue with that particular game or you may have just installed incorrectly. You have a fairly new version but did you install your video drivers over top of older ones? Sometimes there are conflicts if you don't fully remove the drivers before installing the new ones.

Look at this benchmark
http://www.pcworld.fr/article/nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-te...

It isn't as if they are pulling really high FPS. Not sure if your CPU would cause low results in comparison to their i7 though
July 7, 2010 3:36:56 AM

Did a fresh install just now, and same score. I think it may be my CPU clock, as its right on target for the cpu score with windows 7. I think if I were to get higher clocked ddr2 and overclock the cpu it would free up the card a little more. The only other game that I have run it on was sniper ghost warrior (just came out, so its not old) and I averaged 40-45 with a gtx 260 and with the 480 I get 100-105. So yes so far games run very well so far. Eventually I would like to upgrade my mobo to a high end one and ddr3 (to prep for games taking advantage of the higher frequency). I think my temps are fine as with fans turned up I get pretty good airflow.

I am wondering if those benchmarks are from the in game benchmark, because my system does fine on benchmark 1. In game play (single player) is a totally different animal.

I am still not sure I picked the right power supply though....
July 7, 2010 10:19:33 PM

I don't think an Antec 750W is your problem. That thing has 4 x 12v+ rails @ 25A each. And Antec PSU's are known for quality and reliability. Really don't think that's your issue, unless you've got a lot of other stuff pulling power off it and you're drawing more than 750W total.

If that were the case, you'd probably have significant problems fairly quickly. Having your GTX 480 pushign 100-105FPS with Sniper Ghost Warrior suggests you're not having any major bottleneck or power issues. ;) 

Like I said before. Last time I ever did any playing of (let alone research of) Arma II it just plain had significant performance problems to begin with. So unless that has changed, I'd assume it's just that. The game was bugged as heck when it came to FPS performance.
July 8, 2010 1:15:44 PM

Have you looked at your system resources while playing ArmaII? Wondering if you use up most of your RAM between that and W7.
July 8, 2010 1:16:34 PM

jerreece said:
I don't think an Antec 750W is your problem. That thing has 4 x 12v+ rails @ 25A each. And Antec PSU's are known for quality and reliability. Really don't think that's your issue, unless you've got a lot of other stuff pulling power off it and you're drawing more than 750W total.

If that were the case, you'd probably have significant problems fairly quickly. Having your GTX 480 pushign 100-105FPS with Sniper Ghost Warrior suggests you're not having any major bottleneck or power issues. ;) 

Like I said before. Last time I ever did any playing of (let alone research of) Arma II it just plain had significant performance problems to begin with. So unless that has changed, I'd assume it's just that. The game was bugged as heck when it came to FPS performance.

And thats the thing that sucks. Arma 1 was known for being hard to run, now Arma 2 is horrible. I wonder how the developers thought that the general public could actually run this game, even those with decent setups. Makes me want my money back. I guess this game will just sit on the shelf for another year or two until they either fix the game or I get the next new thing for processors or whatever
July 8, 2010 1:27:19 PM

SpinachEater said:
Have you looked at your system resources while playing ArmaII? Wondering if you use up most of your RAM between that and W7.

No I have not, but all i had at the time was the OS, fraps, and arma installed. So no other resources should have been taking up ram. I think I am going to get a new mobo and ddr3 soon. So essentially I am looking to get a AM3 socket mobo with the 980 nvidia north bridge and 8 gigs of ddr3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
July 9, 2010 6:47:57 PM

I was just curious how much RAM ArmaII took up while you are playing. Right now my W7 is taking up 1.83GB with just a browser opened up. If it is a massive RAM hog then that would help explain low FPS if you were somehow running out of RAM.
!