Building My 2nd Computer, need Advice

chap_cat

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2004
First of all I want to thank all the folks who offered advice a couple months back when I built my first computer. Much of it came in very handy. I got through the process without any major problems, and really only one minor one in the BIOS setup.

Now I am going to build a second computer for my wife, since she complains she can never get on my new one, and her old Dell has problems that I do not want to bother fixing. She will only be doing web-surfing, e-mail and chat, and light word processing. She likes light gaming such as solitaire, but no real intense 3D stuff. The mobo must have onboard LAN and okay onboard audio. With that in mind, I believe a relatively cheap computer should do fine. I am limited to around $350. I mainly need advice on Mobo and CPU's.

I want to go the AMD route with this computer, as it seems that CPU's such as the Athlon XP or Sempron may offer more bang for the buck than Intel Celeron. I am thinking most seriously about these components:

* ASRock K7VT4A+ VIA KT400A Chipset Mobo for AMD Socket A CPU $41
or
* ASRock K7VT6 VIA KT600 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU $45
* AMD Athlon XP 2200+ 1.8GHz 266FSB 256KB Processor Retail $85
* Antec Performance II Series SX630II Mini Tower Case $69
* Antec SL300S Smart Power PS (included with case)
* 512 MB RAM(256x2) Have not decided on which brand yet. $90
* ATI powered video card. Have not decided which model, but needs to be inexpensive, <$60

I am going to strip the old Dell of its speakers, monitor, keyboard, mouse, CD Rom, FDD, Zip drive and 11GB and 30GB HDD's.

Any opinions on the ASRock mobos? I have heard they are built by Asus. Are there any others that you could recommend in my price range? Any opinions on the AMD Sempron 2500+ at $59 as compared to the Athlon? TIA.

arthurh

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
I'd choose the K7VT6 just for the upgradability it offers. The Sempron should be fine. Saffire 9200 is not to bad. Check <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/" target="_new">here</A> today for the case with PSU on sale for $35.00 I think, should do fine for this application. Remember, this is based on what you say your wife will be using this machine for. That link I gave you has a "catergory" tab, click on that and check out thier prices on all the stuff you need and I'm sure you could build that PC within your budget.