Restoring an older HP PC

A friend has a 2 year old Presario that needs a complete hard drive
format and reinstallation of programs that came with the PC. Question:
do all HP PCs come with a "restoration" CD, whereby I can launch the CD
and load the PC to the condition it was when it was bought? Or can
this be done from a Windows XP menu?
I know this is a very basic query, sorry; but I have no clue what HP
offers in terms of complete system restoration. My friend is also
clueless -- she doesn't know what software came with the Presario!
Duh.
Help! Please. Thanks.

EW
9 answers Last reply
More about restoring older
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware, alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > AFAIK, Compaq Presarios do not come with a restore CD, altho some
    computers with

    Thanks, Ben, for your reply. I don't have any more info on the HP than
    I provided -- sounds strange, but my friend is "strange." I will
    monitor this thread and the Compaq boards for further info. It seems
    that HP would have a blanket policy on providing restoration CDs on all
    their products, or not. But again, SOMEONE here should know HOW to
    restore an HP PC to original manufacturer's configuration!
    Thanks for your help. I'll keep looking!

    EW

    ewyatt@excite.com wrote:

    > Thanks, Ben, for your reply. I don't have any more info on the HP than
    > I provided -- sounds strange, but my friend is "strange." I will
    > monitor this thread and the Compaq boards for further info. It seems
    > that HP would have a blanket policy on providing restoration CDs on all
    > their products, or not. But again, SOMEONE here should know HOW to
    > restore an HP PC to original manufacturer's configuration!
    > Thanks for your help. I'll keep looking!
    >
    > EW

    EW,

    Some do know how to restore the original configuration. Older Pavilions
    came with restore disks. Then there was a shift to a recovery partition.
    Currently the solution is a recovery partition with the ability to burn
    recovery disks. In general, recovery disks have been available from HP.

    I know of one current Presario model that comes with recovery disks.
    Older ones did, too. Your friend probably has a recovery disk. If not,
    try to get a set from HP.

    If you have recovery disks, boot from them and follow directions on the
    screen. If you have a recovery partition, there is a utility on the PC.
    Start it up and go from there.

    Only you and your friend can determine if restoring to the original
    condition is the right thing to do. If you do that, you want to be
    prepared. Your friend's system would have 2 year old software and be
    vulnerable to the current crop of viruses, attacks, and malware. It
    would be good to have a CD with all the service pack and updates so that
    you can install them before connecting the PC to the internet. (A system
    can be infected even before you can download the patches from Microsoft.)

    Doing a complete restore will remove and data or applications installed
    since the machine was purchased. As Ben said, don't do anything rash.

    craigm
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    AFAIK, Compaq Presarios do not come with a restore CD, altho some computers with
    CD burners do give you the option to burn a restore CD or a Windows XP Home CD
    from data stored in a hidden partition on the drive.

    I've cross-posted your inquiry to an older pre-HPaq Compaq-specific newsgroup
    where someone there with better knowledge can provide more assistance.

    Knowing which model of Presario you have may also be helpful.

    Don't do anything rash until you see a response on the Compaq newsgroup. Before
    reformatting and/or reloading Windows, consider other actions to take. If the
    computer is working, but very slowly, it may well be infected by the
    all-too-common spyware or ad-ware that sneaks into an insecure-by-design
    computer operating system these days. If so, running both spybot and ad-aware,
    after updating each with the latest definitions, can restore a computer to
    respectable working order without loss of data or the time and aggrevation of
    reloading the entire Windows OS.

    You will also need to enter the Windows Certificate of Authentication code from
    the sticker on the side of the computer, should you reload Windows.

    .... Ben Myers

    On 3 Jan 2005 16:36:49 -0800, ewyatt@excite.com wrote:

    >A friend has a 2 year old Presario that needs a complete hard drive
    >format and reinstallation of programs that came with the PC. Question:
    >do all HP PCs come with a "restoration" CD, whereby I can launch the CD
    >and load the PC to the condition it was when it was bought? Or can
    >this be done from a Windows XP menu?
    >I know this is a very basic query, sorry; but I have no clue what HP
    >offers in terms of complete system restoration. My friend is also
    >clueless -- she doesn't know what software came with the Presario!
    >Duh.
    >Help! Please. Thanks.
    >
    >EW

  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    "HP would have a blanket policy on providing restoration CDs on all their
    products." No blanket policy, because different product lines of computers are
    treated differently. And policies change over time, becoming more and more
    niggardly in providing CDs and other media to reload when the need arises. The
    Presario is targeted for consumers and small offices, so it gets handled one
    way. The DeskPro (now the Evo) is the business-oriented box, so it sees a
    different approach. And then there are the servers. The HP Pavilion is also a
    consumer-oriented computer. (You may ask Carly why HPaq has to have two product
    lines for consumers?)

    Frankly, I think the best bet is to simply reload from scratch whatever
    operating system came with the computer. If the computer had still other useful
    non-operating system software delivered with it, that's another story. You
    might check the HPaq web site for drivers and other software for the EXACT model
    of computer you are working on. In some cases, the web site has the other
    software available for download. In other cases, no... Ben Myers

    On 3 Jan 2005 17:39:48 -0800, ewyatt@excite.com wrote:

    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >> AFAIK, Compaq Presarios do not come with a restore CD, altho some
    >computers with
    >
    >Thanks, Ben, for your reply. I don't have any more info on the HP than
    >I provided -- sounds strange, but my friend is "strange." I will
    >monitor this thread and the Compaq boards for further info. It seems
    >that HP would have a blanket policy on providing restoration CDs on all
    >their products, or not. But again, SOMEONE here should know HOW to
    >restore an HP PC to original manufacturer's configuration!
    >Thanks for your help. I'll keep looking!
    >
    >EW

  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware, alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Thanks very much to all who replied for the help. I now have a clue
    about the eventual restoration project -- I "think" there's a
    restoration partition on her hard drive. In any case, WHY do I have to
    get myself in these messes! From now on, I won't know ANYTHING about
    computers when friends have problems...

    EW
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:
    [deleted]
    > (You may ask Carly why HPaq has to have two product lines for
    > consumers?)

    Because their *customers*, told them to!

    Ever wondered why after the merge, the Compaq name was still very
    prominent (for example on the Williams-BMW Formula One team)? Probably
    not. Much easier to show ignorance and bash HP.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Perhaps. Personally, I would find it far more cost effective to produce both
    Presarios and Pavilions on the same production line, with different cosmetic
    touches (BIOS splash, removable front plastic logo, keyboard and mouse logos).

    General Motors and Ford succeeded for many years in the US using this approach.
    Fords own Ford brand and Mercury automobiles use 90% of the same parts with
    merely cosmetic differences. General Motors built Chevys, Oldsmobiles, Buicks,
    and Cadillacs with many, many common parts.

    Just think of the savings in assembly costs, so-called engineering R&D, spare
    parts. And look at the annual reports and balance sheets of the merged HPaq!
    Printers continue to be the business line that generates 90% of the profit.
    Servers and communications gear are a small but profitable area. Desktop
    computers are marginally profitable at best.

    HPaq may not be using the approach now, but it will not be viable in the
    personal computer segment of the business until it does... Ben Myers

    On 04 Jan 2005 15:03:55 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

    >ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:
    >[deleted]
    >> (You may ask Carly why HPaq has to have two product lines for
    >> consumers?)
    >
    > Because their *customers*, told them to!
    >
    > Ever wondered why after the merge, the Compaq name was still very
    >prominent (for example on the Williams-BMW Formula One team)? Probably
    >not. Much easier to show ignorance and bash HP.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    The old saying was a Cougar was a Mustang with lock washers.
    HH

    > Perhaps. Personally, I would find it far more cost effective to produce
    > both
    > Presarios and Pavilions on the same production line, with different
    > cosmetic
    > touches (BIOS splash, removable front plastic logo, keyboard and mouse
    > logos).
    >
    > General Motors and Ford succeeded for many years in the US using this
    > approach.
    > Fords own Ford brand and Mercury automobiles use 90% of the same parts
    > with
    > merely cosmetic differences. General Motors built Chevys, Oldsmobiles,
    > Buicks,
    > and Cadillacs with many, many common parts.
    >
    > Just think of the savings in assembly costs, so-called engineering R&D,
    > spare
    > parts. And look at the annual reports and balance sheets of the merged
    > HPaq!
    > Printers continue to be the business line that generates 90% of the
    > profit.
    > Servers and communications gear are a small but profitable area. Desktop
    > computers are marginally profitable at best.
    >
    > HPaq may not be using the approach now, but it will not be viable in the
    > personal computer segment of the business until it does... Ben Myers
    >
    > On 04 Jan 2005 15:03:55 GMT, Frank Slootweg <this@ddress.is.invalid>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote:
    >>[deleted]
    >>> (You may ask Carly why HPaq has to have two product lines for
    >>> consumers?)
    >>
    >> Because their *customers*, told them to!
    >>
    >> Ever wondered why after the merge, the Compaq name was still very
    >>prominent (for example on the Williams-BMW Formula One team)? Probably
    >>not. Much easier to show ignorance and bash HP.

  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    ewyatt@excite.com wrote:
    > Thanks very much to all who replied for the help. I now have a clue
    > about the eventual restoration project -- I "think" there's a
    > restoration partition on her hard drive. In any case, WHY do I have to
    > get myself in these messes! From now on, I won't know ANYTHING about
    > computers when friends have problems...
    >
    > EW

    On the Pavilions of that time frame, they were using 4 gig hidden partitions,
    or about 6 CD's worth of data. The OS, even if it's bloatware XP, fits on
    one CD. If that's what they provided on the Presario, I would never restore
    all that garbage. It's not valuable application programs like office suites,
    it's adware, spyware, and other items like really valuable feature length
    films on how to use a mouse (and a million free trial offers for AOL).

Hewlett Packard Presario Computers