Is my old PC worth upgrading?

G

I have been debating on buying a new PC. I have had this one for 3 years now, upgrading it here and there. I play wow fine when there is not a lot of people, but around major cities my fps goes down to 6.

Spec:
Motherboard: Asus p5nSLI
Processor: Intel Core2 6300 @1.86ghz
Ram: 3gig PC-5400 DDR2 OCZ
Video Card: Evga 9800gtx 512mb PCI-Expressx16
Hard-rive: WD740 Serial ATA Raptor

I want to completely eliminate game lag. I was debating on buying another video card and SLI them, should I? Is the motherboard, ram, processor holding me back? Any thought's or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

ericpol

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I would think you processor is your bottleneck you need to OC that sucker or upgrade. I had that cpu and upgraded to an athlon x4 630 and cheap mobo at microcenter for $100. I have a HD 4830 which is worse than your card and everything i play runs just fine granted I play at 1280x720 or 1280x1024.

G

It looks that way, I am not really interested in overclocking. I am going to buy a new mobo and processor..... at frys electronics today... 3gig processor is minimum right?

ericpol

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
I would say 3Ghz is probably the sweet spot not the minimum. I have 2.8Ghz and have no problems your biggest decision will be between dual core and quad core I would see if frys has any good pc mobo bundles on sale. If you live in IL there is a microcenter right near the frys and they still have the deal with AMD cpu's