Component selection for audio computer

KBlair1701

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2004
All,

While I'm reading up on the latest technology, I thought I'd get your suggestions for a purpose build machine. It will be a semi-portable rig used for live audio recording at remote locations. The OS is WinXP Pro and the audio software is Steinburg Cubase SX. The audio interface is Aardvark Direct Pro Q10, a PCI audio card with an external interface box. This is all that this PC will do, it won't even have an internet connection. I'll spec it out with a large HD for audio archive storage and a smaller one for OS and apps. DVD burner.

So I'm wondering which processor/mobo combo will be best for my application. P4 at 3Ghz or Athlon64 3200? Which mobo will provide the best stability and best performance. I'm looking for <5ms latency for my audio apps and all the effects are implimented in software -- reverb, delay, compression, etc. Any ideas?

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
by semi-portable, I understand you mean small form factor...

It's not realy about CPU and MB choice if what you do is Audio capture. It's much more about the Audio capture card you use, While the audigy is a good all around Sound card there are better options out there for professionnal use. I'm no expert in the field but I remember reviews on the topic both on tom's and anandtech...

While the P4 is in most cases better at audio/video applications I would recommend an A64 in a small form factor because of the heat and power consumption issues.

as far as motherboards are concerned, it depends on the barebones available in your area or through online vendors that you thrust.

BIOSTAR M7NCG Athlon XP 2400+
ATI RADEON 9600SE
Adaptec 29160 - Ultra160 SCSI
2 x Quantum Atlas 10K3 18 WLS
WDC WD1200JB-00CRA1
Toshiba 8x4x12x DVD±RW
AOpen Micro-ATX Desktop 200W

KBlair1701

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2004
Well, by semi-portable I really meant "not a laptop". I was thinking mini-tower, mid-tower at the largest. I've already got a 15" flatpanel for the display so I'm covered there. The audio card I have is an Aardvark Direct Pro Q10 which is a PCI card with a 19" external box for the ins/outs. I've got a laptop style keyboard and trackball, what I'd like to do is be able to fit all this stuff in a resonable size box with the cables so i only have to make one trip. I won't be moving it that much, maybe once a month or so.

"online vendors that you thrust" -- Usually I'm the one that get's "thrusted" :)

Thanks for the heads up on the heat issue. The last box I built was an A1500XP, so I'm pretty far behind.

pat

Expert
Tha soltek k8an2e-gr is the smallest socket 754 AMD64 board. I had no problem to fit it in my small case and as the A64 run cool, I dont have any problem with overheating and the board is a very good performer and rock stable so far with my 3000+ running at 2150 Mhz, 150 MHz overclock. You can have a look at it at newegg.com or ncix.com

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!