edmckay_doc

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
I know this is a tired old question, but here it goes:

Previously I've only built new systems and done clean installs of windows. But soon I'm going to be upgrading my motherboard/processor/main memory, and would like to avoid doing a completely new install of XP (my current OS). I'm going to replace a few components after upgrading the mobo, but for the sake of simplicity plan to do the motherboard upgrade holding everything else constant (same sound card/graphics card/nic/etc...) Here's my idea--

Unload the old chipset drivers.

Shut down my computer.

Replace the mobo.

Boot Windows.

Let autodetect find the new chipset and read the drivers off my CD-ROM (this seems like it ought to work because I'm using a SCSI controller, and thus won't have to wait for the drivers to get loaded before accessing my CD-ROM drive).

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Might it work?

Thanks,

edmckay_doc

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That works great under 9x but not garunteed to work under XP. You can TRY that, but if you still have problems you'll have to try something else: I suggest a "repair installation", which reconfigures windows without loosing your data (or unregistering most programs).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>