Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Low FPS in World of Warcraft

Last response: in Video Games
July 5, 2010 7:22:42 PM

Hey, i'm having some huge troubles with lag in wow, no matter what resolution i run it on, same with the details.

Although i run every other game, on almost maximum (BC2, Crysis)

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
XFX 5770
2 gigs of ram

Can't seem to find the problem.

Hope you can help and thanks in advance.

More about : low fps world warcraft

July 6, 2010 1:13:47 PM

As i stated, i sayd almost maximum, not maximum.

And i'm running vista, and yes as i also stated, i've tryed turning everything down to the lowest possible, including effects and resolution, still have 10-20 fps.

And no, it's not the latency.
July 6, 2010 2:45:52 PM

My first suggestion would be to upgrade your RAM to 4gigs. Also in your original post you stated you are experiencing problems with lag but then you said you are not have problems with latency.

Is it just your FPS thats the issue?
Related resources
July 6, 2010 2:51:20 PM

Yes i ment the FPS, my bad.
July 6, 2010 6:11:44 PM

I would say its most likely you are running low on memory when playing WoW. WoW is very CPU intensive and uses a large amount of memory. Have you tried disabling all background applications (antivirus or other software thats not needed) when playing?

My first suggestion would be to upgrade to 4GB RAM. Are you using 32-bit or 64bit Vista?
July 7, 2010 9:44:17 PM

I'm using 32-bit.
July 7, 2010 10:26:30 PM

WoW is indeed very CPU demanding (and does not thread well with multicore CPUs). Plugins/addons for WoW also eat up CPU cycles, and can consume a lot of RAM.

1) I'd agree with running 4GB of RAM if possible. That's the new "standard" these days to be quite frank.
2) WoW IS very latency dependent. Do you lag in all environments, or only in crowded places? (i.e. cities, Raids?)
3) Are you playing WoW with a wireless internet connection? If so, this is a really bad idea. Any online game play can be hampered quite a bit by latency/packet loss issues with wireless connections.

If changing your Resolution or graphics settings does not alter game performance, then it has to be a CPU, Latency, or lack of RAM issues.
July 7, 2010 10:28:45 PM

jerreece said:
WoW is indeed very CPU demanding (and does not thread well with multicore CPUs). Plugins/addons for WoW also eat up CPU cycles, and can consume a lot of RAM.

1) I'd agree with running 4GB of RAM if possible. That's the new "standard" these days to be quite frank.
2) WoW IS very latency dependent. Do you lag in all environments, or only in crowded places? (i.e. cities, Raids?)
3) Are you playing WoW with a wireless internet connection? If so, this is a really bad idea. Any online game play can be hampered quite a bit by latency/packet loss issues with wireless connections.

If changing your Resolution or graphics settings does not alter game performance, then it has to be a CPU, Latency, or lack of RAM issues.

Well.. Yes to 2 and 3, i use addons, not many tho. And i'm playing on wireless, but i'll start by removing the addons and see where that goes before i'll buy new ram.
July 7, 2010 10:32:15 PM

nicko11 said:
Well.. Yes to 2 and 3, i use addons, not many tho. And i'm playing on wireless, but i'll start by removing the addons and see where that goes before i'll buy new ram.

Honestly, I'd start by plugging your system directly into your cable modem/router with a Cat5/6 cable. That's going to solve problems all by itself.

Then try the addons next. :)  Then again, it all depends on your addons. I haven't play WoW for 9-10 months, so I'm not sure what's out these days. But I recall some of them were fairly resource hoggish.

Picture it like this:
You have a Ferrari. The fastest car money can buy some might say. So it should win any street race. But, your fuel tank is connected to it with an abnormally small tube, that's kinked in places, and has pin holes sporadically throughout the length of it. That's how WiFi gaming is compared to direct Cat5 connection to your router.

WiFi has less bandwidth, deals with interference, signal loss or poor quality, and then there's encryption on top of that!!
July 7, 2010 10:33:26 PM

Well, i'll try. Thanks and i'll write back if it doesn't work ;P
May 18, 2011 6:25:03 PM

nicko11 said:
Hey, i'm having some huge troubles with lag in wow, no matter what resolution i run it on, same with the details.

Although i run every other game, on almost maximum (BC2, Crysis)

Specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
XFX 5770
2 gigs of ram

Can't seem to find the problem.

Hope you can help and thanks in advance.

But a 1 GB Video Card they are reasonable at Tiger Direct it fixed my problem
May 18, 2011 7:33:39 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!