Relocating the antenna

Gordon

Is there any means (cable and fittings available) for moving the
antenna from a Linksys WMP54G Wireless adapter and putting it on
top of the CPU box instead of behind it? I am getting a weak
signal on that computer, and I think the main reason is that the
CPU box is shadowing the adapter's antenna.

This computer is downstairs from my gateway, and about 60 feet
horizontally removed from the gateway. Unfortunately, the
downstairs computer has to face toward the gateway, putting the
adapter's antenna behind and in the shadow of the metal CPU box.

I would like to find a small base and the necessary cable to put
the antenna on top of the CPU box and try it that way. Have any
of you ever done this?

Click here:
http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200758&Ne=200000

Bill Crocker

"Gordon" <gordonlr@DELETEswbell.net> wrote in message
> Is there any means (cable and fittings available) for moving the
> antenna from a Linksys WMP54G Wireless adapter and putting it on
> top of the CPU box instead of behind it? I am getting a weak
> signal on that computer, and I think the main reason is that the
> CPU box is shadowing the adapter's antenna.
>
> This computer is downstairs from my gateway, and about 60 feet
> horizontally removed from the gateway. Unfortunately, the
> downstairs computer has to face toward the gateway, putting the
> adapter's antenna behind and in the shadow of the metal CPU box.
>
> I would like to find a small base and the necessary cable to put
> the antenna on top of the CPU box and try it that way. Have any
> of you ever done this?

This is made especially for you ............
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=647&scid=38
Read the data sheet

"Gordon" <gordonlr@DELETEswbell.net> wrote in message
> Is there any means (cable and fittings available) for moving the
> antenna from a Linksys WMP54G Wireless adapter and putting it on
> top of the CPU box instead of behind it? I am getting a weak
> signal on that computer, and I think the main reason is that the
> CPU box is shadowing the adapter's antenna.
>
> This computer is downstairs from my gateway, and about 60 feet
> horizontally removed from the gateway. Unfortunately, the
> downstairs computer has to face toward the gateway, putting the
> adapter's antenna behind and in the shadow of the metal CPU box.
>
> I would like to find a small base and the necessary cable to put
> the antenna on top of the CPU box and try it that way. Have any
> of you ever done this?

This guy (Brian) has just about anything you'd need and is VERY helpful.
I've sent many questions and he sends fast and informative responses back.

http://www.wirelessnetworkproducts.com/

Good luck,

- Tom C.

"Gordon" <gordonlr@DELETEswbell.net> wrote in message
> Is there any means (cable and fittings available) for moving the
> antenna from a Linksys WMP54G Wireless adapter and putting it on
> top of the CPU box instead of behind it? I am getting a weak
> signal on that computer, and I think the main reason is that the
> CPU box is shadowing the adapter's antenna.
>
> This computer is downstairs from my gateway, and about 60 feet
> horizontally removed from the gateway. Unfortunately, the
> downstairs computer has to face toward the gateway, putting the
> adapter's antenna behind and in the shadow of the metal CPU box.
>
> I would like to find a small base and the necessary cable to put
> the antenna on top of the CPU box and try it that way. Have any
> of you ever done this?

test
"Gordon" <gordonlr@DELETEswbell.net> wrote in message
> Is there any means (cable and fittings available) for moving the
> antenna from a Linksys WMP54G Wireless adapter and putting it on
> top of the CPU box instead of behind it? I am getting a weak
> signal on that computer, and I think the main reason is that the
> CPU box is shadowing the adapter's antenna.
>
> This computer is downstairs from my gateway, and about 60 feet
> horizontally removed from the gateway. Unfortunately, the
> downstairs computer has to face toward the gateway, putting the
> adapter's antenna behind and in the shadow of the metal CPU box.
>
> I would like to find a small base and the necessary cable to put
> the antenna on top of the CPU box and try it that way. Have any
> of you ever done this?

Gordon

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 01:00:38 GMT, Gordon
<gordonlr@DELETEswbell.net> wrote:

>Is there any means (cable and fittings available) for moving the
>antenna from a Linksys WMP54G Wireless adapter and putting it on
>top of the CPU box instead of behind it? I am getting a weak
>signal on that computer, and I think the main reason is that the
>CPU box is shadowing the adapter's antenna.
>
>This computer is downstairs from my gateway, and about 60 feet
>horizontally removed from the gateway. Unfortunately, the
>downstairs computer has to face toward the gateway, putting the
>adapter's antenna behind and in the shadow of the metal CPU box.
>
>I would like to find a small base and the necessary cable to put
>the antenna on top of the CPU box and try it that way. Have any
>of you ever done this?

Thanks to all who responded. I did some more checking, and my
laptop also indicates a weak signal in the region of the
downstairs computer. So, it must be related to the house
structure. The signal has to pass through the upstairs wall which
has fiberboard siding, then through a comp shingled roof, into
the down stairs part of the house. It may be that the comp
shingles are attenuating it excessively.

The house is in the shape of an L, with my main computer upstairs
near the west end of the east-west part of the L, while the other
computer is downstairs near the south end of the north-south part
of the L. There is nothing else between the two except the house
structure. The roof to the downstairs part has fiber particle
board sheathing with an aluminum skin on the attic side. This may
be the cause of the severe attenuation. This aluminum skin on the
roof sheathing is supposed to reflect Infra Red back into space
and keep the attic cooler. Maybe it is also a fairly effective
radio frequency shield.

The wireless setup works moderately well. It does drop the
connection from time to time, but only about 2 or 3 times a day.
It may be that someone else in the neighborhood has an RF source
that is causing minor interference.

Gordon <gordonlr@deleteswbell.net> wrote:
> Thanks to all who responded. I did some more checking, and my
> laptop also indicates a weak signal in the region of the
> downstairs computer. So, it must be related to the house

The signal coming from your upstairs WAP is in the shape of a donut
centered on the antenna. You might try reorienting the antennas so that
the are parallel with each other, or pointing broadside, not end-on.

You could also use reflectors on both antennas.
http://www.freeantennas.com
EZ-10 is really easy, and might give you an idea if one of the other
reflectors would help even more.

You are not wrong to move the antenna out from behind the computer,
regardless of what else you do.

> structure. The roof to the downstairs part has fiber particle
> board sheathing with an aluminum skin on the attic side. This may

I found that the signal in my house is strongest through the windows, even
though they are not in line with the antennas. With a directional antenna
on my laptop, pointing directly at the wall where I knew the antenna was
did not give the highest signal.

--
---