Need some input please

Tumb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2004
I am in the process of making a new machine, my first at that. what i need to know is atm i have an
-AMD Athlon 3200+ 64bit processor w/ winchester core
-looking at 1 gig corsair ram
-Geforce FX 5500 256meg Vid card 8xAGP
-and a 120gig Seagate HD@ 7200rpm
- and w/ that im also going to need a sound card; v.92modem; cdrw drive w/ dvd read
Im really looking for suggestion for a motherboard that will support my system atm. anything else you see that needs tweaking feel free to give your input I made this machine to mostly play EverQuest2 so any help is greatly appreciated

OH GOD NOT THE GRAPHICS CARD - JESUS NO!

Get a Nvidia 6800GT. Don't get any Nvidia FX! Please!

Tumb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2004
lol, sorry for the vid card, it was easily accessible, and i havent read anywhere w/ any major probs with it except for minor stuttering on a few games, and i needed the pixel/vertex shaders and a relatively cheap card. But as for a Mobo im all open for suggestions

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
8x means nothing at that level. The least card I'd recommend would be a full-version 9600 Pro. "lite" and "ez" versions usually have significantly slower RAM. So does the 256MB version, leaving the full version 128MB as the fastest 9600 Pro. And that's the LEAST card I'd recommend.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Tumb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2004
Ok, I went 'shopping' on newegg.com and found these 2
1.) GIGABYTE "GA-K8NS Ultra-939" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU
and
2.)ABIT "AV8" K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 939 CPU
any ideas on which would best fit my set up?

Greggo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
fx cards suck bad i remember before buying my 9800 pro I went and tried to save a little money buying a 5200 "had the old geforce 3 64 meg before the upgrade" it was almost as bad as my old geforce card. Stuttering aint the word when tring to play these games like americas army "there special forces maps makes a 9800 pro sweat"
Stay away from fx PLEASE

endyen

Splendid
For future reference, to build a gaming rig, you are best served if you split the money for cpu, mobo and graphics in half, and spend one of the halves on the graphics card. Newer games also like a lot of system ram, so budget that in as well.