Gaining permissions to an old win xp hardrive linked externally through a usb to

nozzle

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
I had an old dell whose mother board gave up the ghost. I would like to save the data on the hard drive. I have hooked the old drive externally with a sata to usb cable to a new toshiba running win7. I am now having problems accessing the information off the old drive. I can see it and I have tried readjusting the security settings but I keep getting an access denied message. I need to know how I can access this info so that it can be copied over to the new drive and then onto to a backup drive that I just got so I don't have to go through this again.

You need a Linux Operating System because they aren't so precious over Windows password protected folders as W7. Fortunately, you can download free of charge an OS which will run as a live CD without being installed and that will recognise your USB powered hard disk as well as the built in disk on th enew computer and allow you to transfer files from one to the other.

My preference is PCLinuxOS which comes form http://www.pclinuxos.com but others are available. However, that one also allows writing to NTFS which you will find useful.
[/#000ff]

nozzle

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010

Thank You for the input. However using linux to swap files from one drive to another unfortunatley means I would have to learn how to navigate through a third OS. I have no problem with XP, but since the new laptop has Win7 I need to learn how to use Win7 permissions. Which I figured out. The problem is windows allows you to do all the same stuff in the Win7 they just changed the command names and proceedures. I appreciate the advice though.

meradz

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Some folders in Windows 7 are protected. If you try to copy folders from the external drive to the root of C:, you will run into this issue. You can either turn off User Account Controls in the User section of Control Panel, or right click on Windows Explorer icon and choose Run as administrator.

TRENDING THREADS