I want to play gta 4 which game console i need to buy

Last response: in Video Games
Anonymous
July 6, 2010 4:59:57 PM

Hello,
i am eager to play gta4 game.
but my pc is not compatible with the game,
i own a samsung lcd series 3 tv.
should i attach a game console to it OR should i purchase a new pc?
please help
crazy fan of gta
July 6, 2010 5:35:08 PM

Is your copy of the game for the PC or a console? A console version will obviously not run on PC. If it is a PC copy & still not running, you're PC is not satisfying the system requirements. You could upgrade or get/build a brand new one.
If it is a console version, you will need a console to run it on your
Quote:
samsung lcd series 3 tv.

Just to be safe, I should also mention this: get an X-box if the copy is an X-Box version
get a PS3 if it is a PS3 version.
m
l
July 6, 2010 10:29:18 PM

This game was developed primarily for consoles, so the PC version suffers from being a badly optimized port.

The PC version can look better and perform better, but only if you have a rockin' CPU. And even then, there is not guarantee it will be smooth. I have the PC version and have been able to achieve 30-60+ FPS by tweaking the settings. However, even at this framerate the game is not fluid. Scenery chops and stutters as you drive by, even at a high framerate. Same with cut-scenes. Odd considering hte framerate!

I believe the console versions also suffer from frame-rate issues. In general I think the console version runs at 20-35 FPS, with the PS3 version running a little slower than the Xbox version. Which version looks better is up to debate / personal opinion. I have no personally played the console versions, so I can not comment on how stable/fluid the game runs. I would assume they run decently smooth as I have not seen any major complaints, and because the game was probably tested thoroughly on console (and everyone's console runs the same, as opposed to everyone's PC being a little different).

So you decision comes down to price. You may be able to get beautiful performance with a very expensive PC (not much of a guarantee, I have read about people with enthusiast-level machines having perforamnce issues still). Or get decent performance (and probably more stable performance) for relatively cheap ($300 for an Xbox360 or PS3).

Console may be the best choice as its less expensive than a good GPU would cost, and will open up a large library of games to play on your TV. Choice of console would depend on what games appeal to you. I have a PS3 as the PS3 exclusives appeal most to me (I have not purchases a 360 yet as the games I would buy for it are also available on PS3). I would check out lists of console exclusives to determine which has the games you are most interested in.

So I guess I was a bit long winded in my response. Hopefully it was helpful.
m
l
Related resources
July 7, 2010 3:37:32 PM

If your TV is capable of 1080p resolution, get a PS3 as the PS3 version of GTA4 is 1080 native. If your TV is limited to 720p or your budget is limited, get an XBox 360 instead.

Personally I'd get the PS3 even if you're limited to 720p
m
l
July 7, 2010 3:39:43 PM

Quote:
Hello,
i am eager to play gta4 game.
but my pc is not compatible with the game,
i own a samsung lcd series 3 tv.
should i attach a game console to it OR should i purchase a new pc?
please help
crazy fan of gta

Game runs best on the XBox 360, that is what it was developed for
m
l
July 7, 2010 3:49:00 PM

RickyT23 said:
Game runs best on the XBox 360, that is what it was developed for

Yeah whatever - development started for PS3 first, announced for the PS3 first and then the two platforms were developed simultaneously and released together.

I've run them side-by-side and there's no noticeable difference in performance between the two. Graphically the PS3 version looks better when it's running native 1080p, otherwise at 720p there's no real visual difference either.
m
l
July 7, 2010 4:05:50 PM

LePhuronn said:
Yeah whatever - development started for PS3 first, announced for the PS3 first and then the two platforms were developed simultaneously and released together.

I've run them side-by-side and there's no noticeable difference in performance between the two. Graphically the PS3 version looks better when it's running native 1080p, otherwise at 720p there's no real visual difference either.

I remember the game getting delayed and the reason was rumoured to be that PS3 development was holding them back.....

So...... ?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/135510/grand_theft_auto_...

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/50937

Fanboi!
m
l
July 7, 2010 4:13:54 PM

Don't start with the fanboi accusation shite please. Why did you even bother looking up articles that don't even add validity to your point (unless, dare I say, you're a 360 fanboi) - all they say is the PS3 development delayed the joint platform release, NOTHING about "well, it's been so hard porting our code to the PS3 - we should've just stuck with the 360 like it was designed for".

And pray DO tell me how you think I'm being a PS3 fanboi buy stating very clearly that there is NO discernible difference between the 2 versions? What, just saying I have a preference for the PS3 makes me a fanboi?

Grow up, seriously.
m
l
!