Wi-Fi security

Do you happen to know why 802.11g standard is known to be more secure than
802.11b? I heared something like it but i dont know the answer.

Regards,
DJKapi

In article <Pxpdd.27785$z77.13628@news.chello.at>,
DJkapi <a.kurowski@chello.pl> wrote:
:Do you happen to know why 802.11g standard is known to be more secure than
:802.11b? I heared something like it but i dont know the answer.

It isn't. However, WiFi security methods improved after 802.11b
was standardized but before 802.11g was standardized, so a number
of vendors built the new security into their 802.11g designs
and didn't bother to go back to their 802.11b and put the same
security in. The change might have required hardware modifications,
for example, and it is seldom profitable to go back and redesign
less-capable hardware when newer faster hardware with backwards
compatability is already in place.

The fault is not in 802.11b but in the economics of retrofitting.
If you use a 802.11g device in 802.11b mode, you can use the
newer security features, provided that the other end understands
them.
--
Whose posting was this .signature Google'd from?

DJkapi schrieb:

> Do you happen to know why 802.11g standard is known to be more secure than
> 802.11b? I heared something like it but i dont know the answer.
>
> Regards,
> DJKapi

You may mean 802.11i, which is the successor of the flawed WEP (i.e.
802.11) security scheme. 802.11g is only a faster version of 802.11b.

In theory, 802.11i may be applied to 802.11b and 802.11g (and any other
flavors, such as 802.11a), although I doubt that there will be any
802.11b-only adapter still come up with 802.11i.

Michael

--
Michael Schmidt
University of Siegen, Germany

> You may mean 802.11i, which is the successor of the flawed WEP (i.e.
> 802.11) security scheme. 802.11g is only a faster version of 802.11b.

No I am pretty sure that I heard something about security in 11g and 11b
which let as think that
11g is more secure. I know that 802.11g is only faster from 11b nd uses OFDM
modulation, but maybe there
is somtehing that makes 802.11g more secure than 802.11b. Maybe it is
because of higher transfer rate or used modulation?

Regards,
DJKapi

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:14:39 GMT, "DJkapi" <a.kurowski@chello.pl>
wrote:

>> You may mean 802.11i, which is the successor of the flawed WEP (i.e.
>> 802.11) security scheme. 802.11g is only a faster version of 802.11b.

>No I am pretty sure that I heard something about security in 11g and 11b
>which let as think that
>11g is more secure. I know that 802.11g is only faster from 11b nd uses OFDM
>modulation, but maybe there
>is somtehing that makes 802.11g more secure than 802.11b. Maybe it is
>because of higher transfer rate or used modulation?

There's nothing in 802.11g that makes it more or less secure than
802.11b. However, the improved WPA encryption standard was released
slightly after the 802.11g cards were available. That may be what
you've heard. Most 802.11g card do WPA, while only a limited number
of 802.11b cards support WPA.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Taking a moment's reflection, DJkapi mused:

| No I am pretty sure that I heard something about security in 11g and 11b
| which let as think that 11g is more secure.

You are probably referring to the fact that most 11g hardware ships with
WPA encryption support in addition to WEP. Most 11b hardware does not
support WPA, and will not / cannot be updated to support it.

> You are probably referring to the fact that most 11g hardware ships
with
> WPA encryption support in addition to WEP. Most 11b hardware does not
> support WPA, and will not / cannot be updated to support it.

I think you are right. Thank you for your answers!

Regards,
DJKapi