Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP constantly crashing...

Last response: in Windows XP
November 30, 2004 4:27:21 PM

I have a problem with my Windows XP in that it is constantly crashing. I have noticed a pattern to when it crashes, and that is when I am using Bit Torrent or Soulseek. Though it has crashed at times when neither of those program were on, it is extremely rare.

I am using Windows XP Pro SP1 with all updates (except SP2).

Originally, I thought this might have been a hardware problem, what with the RAM (Patriot 512 MB DDR PC2700), or the Motherboard...but I've replaced my RAM Stick and the problem still occured, changed my Motherboard completely, and it's still occured...therefore, I am forced to consider this as a software problem now, rather than a hardware problem.

I have updated my Network drivers recently, as I am told that could be the root of my problem, but updating it has done little to fix the problem. Do you have any ideas what the root of the problem could be, and how I could solve it?

NOTE: I have an updated AVG Free Virus Scanner all updated, as well as Adaware and Spybot, and run them regularly, so I do not think this is related to viruses/adwares.

Thanks.
November 30, 2004 8:15:26 PM

Could you describe your system a little more? just some breif specs or something. And perhaps a breif overview of your current network config? Internet connection, have a router, etc... Just in case it is something crazy :) 
Does it do it when ever you download something large? Try downloading a huge game demo or something using IE. When it crashes does it do a blue screen then reset? or is it just resetting.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
November 30, 2004 9:38:58 PM

Sure...

Pentium 4 2.60 gHZ
512 DDR RAM PC2700
120 gig HD
Radeon 9600 XT Graphics card
I have an Abit IC7-G Motherboard (brand new)
Windows XP Pro SP1
I'm using Firefox, not IE

I am connected to the internet thru a Speed Stream DSL modem that SBC DSL provided me with, and I am not connected through any network.

Yesterday, I was downloading Half Life 2 thru Steam, and that's about a 3 gig+ download, no problems. I've downloaded files near 200 mbs without using Bittorrent, and they seem to download fine, without any trouble.

My windows is set to ignore Blue Screen of Death, and just go straight to the restarting, but when I DO set it to show an error message, this is the one I most commonly get:
Stop: 0x0000007F (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).
Related resources
November 30, 2004 10:15:44 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137539

maybe this can help..

Looks to be a hardware issue.. possible mobo, but read this and see how it helps.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
November 30, 2004 10:44:12 PM

I've recently switched my motherboard, because the old one fried.

This problem was occuring on the old Mobo as well as the new one...

And I am not overclocking either.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by daoster on 11/30/04 07:44 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!