SanLorenso

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
Should the mobo be mounted onto the brass stand-offs directly or should they be insulated?

The reason I ask is that the case I just purchased has washers that supposedly are for that purpose; but, I have never seen a mobo mounted using any insulation.

Thanks,

sparky853

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Yeah, most motherboard are mounted to the case via standoffs of some sort. The thing you want to be careful of is that there are no standoffs anywhere they shouldn't be, touching the mobo and grounding it out.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
:redface: <font color=red>My wife says I suffer from premature ejaculation...I don't remember suffering<font color=red> :wink:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're best off to mount it without the washers, the board actually has some eyes (plated screwholes) that are meant to be grounded. Just make sure your standoffs line up with screw holes.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

SanLorenso

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
The reason I'm asking all these questions is that I have a USB problem where the USB mouse either jumps around or freezes for 1 to 2 seconds. I have tried installing XP Pro fresh again and made sure that I loaded the chip set drivers first, etc. as per Asus, but no luck.

I don't think it is a software issue, but I'm willing to be proven wrong. Asus tek suggested that it could be an EMF problem and that is how this insulating of the stand-offs came about. The only other thing, I'm thinking, it could be is the PSU - it came with the case which is a Nikao XBlade. The PSU is rated 400 watts and has plenty of juice on each of the rails for what I'm doing.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

The rest of my HW is:

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AXP 2800+ barton
Saphire Radeon 9600 Pro
2x120 GB SATA drives
512MB Micron DDR 400 RAM
3 case fans
games/MIDI port
Floppy
Lite-on 48x CDROM R

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have an optical mouse that jumps around when a hair gets stuck over the LED/Sensor area.

Are you certain the problem isn't with the mouse itself?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i had a problem where my mouse would stick for half a second every 5 seconds or so. it turned out to be the scsi card of all things, somehow. it wasnt jumping around though.

this is my boomstick!

SanLorenso

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
I'm pretty sure it works because I used at work for a few days. It is brand new from a Dell system we just purchased. I have another one, I will give that one a try as well. Is there any other way I can test the USB system to ensure it is working properly? i.e. a game controller or ?

BTW. it is Win XP Pro SP1.