Upgrade Help Please

xyz

I just installed Doom 3 and found it to be a bit choppy. I knew that I was
at the bottom of the requirements scale and was planning to upgrade.

Current System:
AMD Athlon 1600+
Radeon 9600xt 128 mb
512mb PC2100 DDR

I can go up to an AMD Athlon 2600+ 266fsb Tbred on my current motherboard.
Is it worth the 80 or 90 bucks or do I need to think about spending a bit
more?
Is an AMD 2600 truely comparable to a Pentium 2.6?
Thanks

jk

For Doom 3, an Athlon 64 would be the best choice. A $150 Athlon 64
socket 754 beats an $815 Pentium 4 3.2 ghz EE at Doom 3.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=7

An Athlon XP is not such a good choice for Doom 3, but neither is a Pentium 4.
It also seems like Doom 3 is better suited for Nvidia graphics, especially
the very high end cards. For those into gaming in general, an Athlon 64 would
be a great choice.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2065&p=8

Of course an upgrade to an Athlon 64 would mean not just a new cpu,
but also a new motherboard, new ram(PC3200 ddr ram), and perhaps
also maybe a new power supply? It isn't just your cpu that is holding back
performance in Doom 3, but also the relatively slow ram, and
a video card that is not one of the very high end Nvidia based cards
Doom might be the game that is most demanding in terms of both cpu
power and video card power to play well.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2149&p=1

XYZ wrote:

> I just installed Doom 3 and found it to be a bit choppy. I knew that I was
> at the bottom of the requirements scale and was planning to upgrade.
>
> Current System:
> AMD Athlon 1600+
> Radeon 9600xt 128 mb
> 512mb PC2100 DDR
>
> I can go up to an AMD Athlon 2600+ 266fsb Tbred on my current motherboard.
> Is it worth the 80 or 90 bucks or do I need to think about spending a bit
> more?
> Is an AMD 2600 truely comparable to a Pentium 2.6?
> Thanks

If youre wanting performance vs $$$, the only weak point in your system is
the gfx card. Going from 1600+ to 2600+ would be a good step, but just
remember the gfx card is the first point of lag on your system.

"XYZ" <jwel@core.com> wrote in message
>I just installed Doom 3 and found it to be a bit choppy. I knew that I was
> at the bottom of the requirements scale and was planning to upgrade.
>
> Current System:
> AMD Athlon 1600+
> Radeon 9600xt 128 mb
> 512mb PC2100 DDR
>
> I can go up to an AMD Athlon 2600+ 266fsb Tbred on my current motherboard.
> Is it worth the 80 or 90 bucks or do I need to think about spending a bit
> more?
> Is an AMD 2600 truely comparable to a Pentium 2.6?
> Thanks

*PCI-Express*