Rahul_Arora_02

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2002
I have a p4 1.4 computer. 512 ram. It has a 15 gig hd.
I formatted the pc and went to install windows xp. It was working great until it automatically rebooted and an error generated.
The title of the error box says "Fatal Error"
"An error has been ecountered that prevents Setup from continuing. One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed. The parameter is incorrect. Press OK to view the Setup log file."

System Setup Log - (C:\windows\setuperr.log)
Error:
Installation Failed: F:\WXHWPA\I386\asms. Error Message : The parameter is incorrect.

Fatal Error:
One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed

The parameter is incorrect.

PLEASE help. I have no clue. I've formatted and formatted and deleted the partition and recreated partitions with different sizes and formatted again. No idea what to do. I even put in a different HD thinking that this one failed. <buzzer> No go. Same error , same location.

Suggestions??

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Did you install Windows from the original CD? It seems like the CD's content is bad.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
It's probably a CD issue. Check the CD for dirt, scratches, etc. and fix them. Alternately, find a friend with a WinXP CD and install with that, although you should still use your own CD key (and don't pirate!)

It might also be a RAM problem - you might run <A HREF="http://www.memtest86.com/" target="_new">Memtest86</A> just to rule out the possibility that you have a bad stick of RAM.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
no no fellas, this is a simple case of the good o'l BURN copy of XP that was downloaded and was obviously short a file or so.

lol what you need to do pal is either #1.. get the REAL DEAL copy cd.. or get a friends CD and copy there I386 folder.... and your files will be in there....... basically add those files into your I386 and REBURN the disc...and you should NOW be set to go...

Rob,

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200